Tagged: , ,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I know nothing about this company other than an email. I would like to bring up the subject for discussion.

http://www.startwithgold.com/resources/campaigns/landing_pages/valcambi-combibar.php

In Japan there was (and to a degree to this day) a practice of making “trees” and “limbs” out of gold. To pay a small amount you would break off a leave or a limb. Larger amounts by using the whole “tree.” I carry a small “limb” with me at all times. I call it my “get out of jail” card. I know Selco refilled butane lighters to use as barter and wonder about other folks.
    Robin

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’ve never fully gotten on the gold/silver bandwagon in part because most of the pundits espousing it seem to have a financial interest in it. Also, you can’t eat it and in a true TEOTWAWKI scenario, I wouldn’t part with my food stores for someone’s gold. Gold/silver makes sense in an inflationary environment so long as civil society is still relatively intact. In a total collapse I can’t see where it would have much value, at least during the winnowing years.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Silver.
    I have a combi bar in Silver and Eagles, plus “junk Silver”. A few collectors pieces as well, but I got these at spot and they are investments of a sort. For trade/barter, I have the Eagles and coins. One can also make colloidal Silver with the .999 but I have some Maples (.9999) for that, just in case…

The bulk of it will be for after the SHTF when the rebuilding starts.

Copper too. A good friend on Silver Doctors says there is a plan to back the dollar in Copper, Silver, and Gold. There is enough Copper, etc. to do this for ALL the Digital Dollars as well! The going rate is to make ~6 grams of Copper = to One U$D
    It used to be 10 ozT for a Dollar! (311 grams of copper)

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

I like silver better than gold – but I like food and ammo better than either of these. Probably pick up a couple hundred bucks in junk coins, but until I get my preps done to my satisfaction I won’t be spending any on PM. I believe that the only ones that will be asking for PM will be those that already have all they need or think they need to survive. Now, for the rebuild after the fact and a possible investment, then PM has a much better outlook to me.

RGR – so are you buying copper too? Seems that they might stop using it as bullet jackets if it get’s that expensive.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Guys and gals,

My views on gold/silver…

I’ve got Silver Eagles and old US coins both. These we’re holding back if hyperinflation hits. It’s insurance and trust me, I sleep way better knowing we have a stash to fall back on when our crappy dollar finally gives up the ghost…

Gold, not so much. Mostly because it’s so danged expensive, otherwise I would have more. We have a few Eagles. But remember: The price of gold does not go up and down. The value of our shitty dollar rises and falls in relation to the worth of gold. Gold has the same worth it did 6,000 years ago. Our dollar is what fluctuates. And, since the dollar is only worth 5% of what it was back in 1913, that means you’re actually paying about 65 bucks for an ounce of gold…

And as far as not being useful during SHTF, well, there’s a reason why every SEAL that is deployed carries 10 Gold Eagles with him – gold opens doors that everything else won’t. If you have to buy safe passage, handing someone a gold eagle or two helps out a great deal… Not everyone accepts dollars… EVERYONE accepts gold.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I support having precious metals, and have a modest amount of my own (I know, what kind of lunatic 25 year old forgoes a smartphone for gold and silver coins!?). Here are my reasons why.

1) The always wise choice of diversifying your assets is a general first reason because you truly never know what might happen. (And yes, take care of food and other necessities first before buying gold and silver!)

2) Gold and Silver will be most useful in the event of a slow, painful, hyperinflationary collapse, which I feel isn’t quite as likely as a sudden collapse but nonetheless possible. The reasons for its usefulness are obvious in that respect. The same goes for a ‘post SHTF’ rebuilding period, where small barter communities are coming together and there is some sense of law and order. People won’t turn down legitimate gold and silver in that case.

3) Malgus kind of touched on this already, but think in terms of bribing soldiers. Soldiers are going to be likely fed, with families’ necessities supplied by the powers that be to keep them compliant. Somewhere online I remember reading a post on some forum where the person mocked an economist encouraging them (not selling it) to buy gold and silver. Purportedly, they had a dream that night where they encountered a Russian soldier on US soil who was guarding a border of some sort. He asked them what their lives were worth, suggesting that he’d allow them to escape for the right price. In the dream they offered him silver and he refused saying ‘silver is for your food, gold is what buys your life.’ They believe the dream was a warning. Whether you believe the story or not isn’t relevant… it brings up an excellent point.

4) In case we’re all somehow wrong, and there is no collapse somehow, we can simply sell it off… likely for a decent profit at a later date. Food storage and other gear would then be taking a loss.

5) I like the rebellious nature of buying gold and silver. Kind of like rebelling against the debt slavery system! Haha.

WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

In addition I’d like to point you to my supplier: http://www.jmbullion.com

I pretty much guarantee the best prices (aside from unique supply opportunities) because I looked long and hard for them. Free shipping. A little bit slow on orders depending on how you order, but I have 5 orders or so with them and never had a problem. Make darn sure you read their payment policies though! They deal with a lot of fraudulent purchase attempts, so their rules are a little rough.

A+ company and I will continue to exclusively purchase from them.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

WK,

Good points… I wouldn’t use gold for trade (but who knows what’s gonna happen in the future?) mostly because I don’t know anyone who can “make change” for a 1oz Gold Eagle or Buffalo… yeah, I know they come in smaller denominations/sizes, but you pay more for the gold when you buy smaller coins…

Unless I’m buying something really big and useful – like a couple horses or something comparable – I don’t see me using gold for trade…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

No matter what happens a some point unless a total wipe of all humanity we will get back to trade, at that point silver and gold worth something.. if not … well damn i am going to have the shiniest .45 cal loads around.

as for not parting with gold for food…. would depends on what value you put on it just like trust in dollar something only worth trading if someone else wants it. to store high value get colors stones small and transportable but only good to the right type of buyer and you might never find someone willing to pay for shiny rocks. (never buy diamonds)

WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I second that motion, Malgus. ‘junk Silver’ is best for trade among precious metals.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

I am from the silver is better camp. Gold is not a barter item unless you want to give up more value for the trade that you want because an ounce of gold is definitely worth more than a meal for your family but you will give it to get that meal. People need to try and keep grounded. Do I think a complete collapse is possible…yes, do I think it is likely….no I don’t. I think that we are in for a number of collapses. The lights are not going out over night and there will be people who have prepared and are willing to trade for precious metals but that is not why I have them, I have them for the rebuilding phase but I think that this slow disintegration is going to mean it will be longer before we get to rebuild.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“Barter” is something I still have not completely settled. I know I will not trade bullets or beans. My food will not make my enemies strong and it will not be a bullet of mine that kills me!
    Robin

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

“Barter” is something I still have not completely settled. I know I will not trade bullets or beans. My food will not make my enemies strong and it will not be a bullet of mine that kills me!

I understand your point but bullets are something that you can build a large supply of fairly easily right now and bartered to someone close to you or at least part of your neighborhood someone who may help defend you at some point I think is reasonable.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Novus Ordo wrote:

I like silver better than gold – but I like food and ammo better than either of these. Probably pick up a couple hundred bucks in junk coins, but until I get my preps done to my satisfaction I won’t be spending any on PM. I believe that the only ones that will be asking for PM will be those that already have all they need or think they need to survive. Now, for the rebuild after the fact and a possible investment, then PM has a much better outlook to me.

RGR – so are you buying copper too? Seems that they might stop using it as bullet jackets if it get’s that expensive.

They are now promoting “lead free” ammo (EPA) so I imagine they don’t care how expensive it gets, just so it is harder for the 2A folks…
    We need some private lead reclaiming centers ;)

I have bought very little copper, just mildly collectible rounds that are like “Molon Labe” and DTOM, like that. These are to fill the gaps when I have so much stacking fiat, but not enough for another ounce of Silver…

What I do on a regular basis is sort pennies. I take the copper cents out of my change and sometimes I even buy rolls and sort those. I just do it by hand, a Ryedale is over $300 but prolly worth it. I thought that by the time I buy one, SHTF will come right away and that will be wasted :D

Sorting by hand is easy, everything 1981 and older, COPPER. Most 1982 cents are copper, but you must weight them or “ring test.
    Bounce it on a hard surface, Copper RINGS, Zinc “thuds”. Very distinct difference.

If people want to buy copper rounds, may I suggest Big Dog Collectibles, on eBay.

Here is a link to a Copper Stacking discussion, and while I do not suggest stacking Copper as a primary, IMO it will be good to have some for “making change” for Silver transactions.

Silver makes change for Gold, as well.

Copper is easy to stack, but in a Bug-Out scenario, I would likely leave the copper behind if weight or space was a concern.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.