Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I find it interesting as economies weaken, now there is interest in gold pricing. My problem with precious metals has always been that it is only “worth” what someone says it is.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/us-probing-big-banks-over-pricing-of-gold-other-metals/ar-BBhTIAL?ocid=U305DHP

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Agree matt76, Gold in a SHTF time will go up very high but who cares since the dollar at the end will collapse and no one will take it. At some point gold will be worth what ever the new currency will be and a value will be given to gold.

The idea of buying gold is that in the end you will have a valuable asset but if you keep dollars they may become just paper. So if you have the extra cash gold is a good buy.

I think in a SHTF food will be worth more then gold and people with gold and no food will give you the gold for your food. So store as much food as you can because food you can eat but not gold or silver.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Gold seems too volatile of a commodity to me. I invest in .22 lr and ammo (as well as other things) for an immediately trade media. If the SHTF for real, I think many transactions would be more in that line of currency than any other.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes food, ammo, knifes, and so no will be more valuable. Gold and silver will be for after the SHTF time is over.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Gold will be great in a slow-motion collapse scenario for a certain period of time before things hit rock bottom. You will have truly awesome purchasing power… but only within a certain window.

As Freedom mentioned, it will also be nice to have afterward. But food, ammo, and fresh water take priority over gold in a big way.

Ps Silver will be even better in that initial window of time given that it is so vastly undervalued. The % increase in purchasing power should be more significant than gold. I also believe there will definitely be some silver bartering, much more than gold, when things are at bottom.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I’ve never seen a $1000 bill. But you have a gold coin in your hand you know you’ve got money. Often transactions are complicated. The real value of some things shifting with the wind. So many taxes. So many people trying to avoid. People who can’t have bank accounts anymore. Bankrupts.

Sledjockey. Everything is very volatile now. Your credit is often better than assets. And there’s always a better deal. This crunch isn’t going away anytime soon.

Rawles has the best barter stories in his books. The .22LR ultimate currency. why not the wolf 7.62×39. A sealed can will trade for ? ….. a lot more than .22lr.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

WhiteKnight, I also like silver because it is a lower value compared to gold. You will be able to barter easier with silver and may save your life too since gold 1 oz may get you killed when you are trying to barter.

I love the 22 lr for barter and can foods.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free, And you can make silver bullets if you need them.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Will the silver bullets kill the zombies?

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Probably not zombies unless you hit them in the head. It will kill lycanthropes and politicians (undead) though.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well I will need to buy a lot of silver because there are a lot of politicians, there like cockroaches everywhere.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>Well I will need to buy a lot of silver because there are a lot of politicians, there like cockroaches everywhere.

Too bad there isn’t a season on them like deer….. 2 bag limit or something.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

i was told a long time ago that metals are a store of value. if you buy it today the value inside will be the same minus any inflation. You dont make money you just retain value, the worse the inflation the more grounded your investment so long as you have physical possession not paper pledges.

yes there are spikes like last silver spike but on a longer outlook 10+ years in terms or real world buying power it is about the same.

in 1910 average house is about 2-5000 so we will take 3000 as average
    cost of gold 20.67 per oz
    $3000 is about 145 oz
    today real world sell 1184 per oz
    145 oz times 1184 is 171680 for that you can buy a house
    for 3000 dollars you cant buy it

this is assuming you bought just bullion if you managed a rare coin well then sky is limit

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

namelus, that is 100% true, that is the only reason to buy gold or silver so that you will keep the same value. In the future it will buy the same. But if you keep the paper money you will be out of luck.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

All good stuff, but the Kid (lol White Knight) has the best post on this one, IMO!
    SILVER is the most under-rated one of all, and the most manipulated by far.
    SOME exposure, investment, or insurance in Precious Metals is very beneficial,
    but folks like SJ… I do not worry about them unless they come after me for mine ;)
    I think SJ’s mindset will work out fine for him. He can get Silver after SHTF through barter.
    Many who buy before, because they have the excess “fiat paper trash cash”
    will be extremely glad they did. Silver will return to a better ratio with Gold,
    much more like the historic 15:1 price ratio or higher. The Silver coming
    out of the ground these days is less than 9:1 ratio with Gold, and SILVER
    is actually in high demand according to the sales charts. Further Proof
    that it is grossly manipulated.

If you have extra “money”, invest in SILVER…
    after you take care of the essentials.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.