Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Great idea with the gold jewelry versus gold coins. I have been focusing more on silver. The pre64 coins and silver coins put out by the US Mint seem to me to be the best option. Everyone recognizes the US coins. I’m not sure that they will be as certain of the gold or silver rounds that are minted by a private mint. I guess the key is diversify. A little bit of everything spread out in several places.

The manipulation of the PM markets right now are a God send for preppers. Prices are being kept artificially low, so the elite can get theirs. So now is the time for those of us who are awake to add to our resources.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I personally will not be interested in metals in a total SHTF, what am I going to do with the metal? I want food, ammo, water. I have the guns so more ammo is always good. But food and water if no one has it why am I going to trade it.

The only way I would trade it is if I have a lot of food and water, and would trade it for ammo or supplies that I need.

I think that metals will be worth a lot once the SHTF is coming to an end but you have to live though the SHTF first.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

That is true , an empty belly is more interested in whats for lunch than future wealth . But if its an economic collapse , Gold may be ok for large items , but for day to day living , Silver would probably be a better bet . But like pointed out by threads of great depression scenarios . Barter was king then , and most likely will be again . My grandparents had a small ranch and bartered beef for what they needed .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, I like the Silver better then the Gold. You can purchase 1/2 oz silver coins and 1 oz silver coins. 1 oz of silver is about $20 today but in an SHTF it will go high up to $100 or more. I have seen it go to $50 in the 1980’s so I know it will go higher then that.

This si why I like the 1/2 oz coins a lot since for barter if it goes to $100 an oz a 1/2 oz is $50 so that is a good amount for barter with. it is good to have the 1/2 oz and the 1 oz.

Gold maybe $5,000 an oz someone will kill you for less them that in an SHTF so I would not want everyone to know I have an oz of gold on me.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Yeah , the quarter oz, gold coins would be more practical for spending ……..that is if you are lucky enough to find anything in enough quantity to need it .

Profile photo of skidmark
    skidmark
    Survivalist
    member2

@freedom & @tolik

I agree that what you want to have is food and ammo – and batteries and comms and meds and a whole lot of other styff. But you are forgetting that even in TEOTWAWKI there will be greedy people who will be willing to trade stuff you want for precioussssssssss metal. They will be found until just about everytthing is gone except what the serious folks have squirreled away. And then they will show up offering heaps of preiousssssssss metals for a very small amount of stuff.

And just about when that starts happening there will be some sort of stabilization and shortly afterwards (following the second, if not the first harvest) there will be a need for currency.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

skidmark, I agree with you but remember that it is an easy way to get your self killed. So be very careful who you are dealing with and do not do it on your own.

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

iv been dealing a lot with prospectors and brokers. for myself the raw gold has a place. i can refine or not, on aquireing gold i can chemical test {nitric acid }, i can seperate quality source gold from flood gold, and on smelting i can make gram ingots or larger.. on looking at raw gold under a magnifying glass it has a smooth, plyable texture{sorta}, while pyrites have a rectangular hard surface, another metal common with gold is platinum, while gold was at 1600 an ounce, platinum sat at 2300 an ounce. brokers love this stuff. i gotta say as well that people in general get that “glazed look” in their eyes when you drop pure gold in front of them….sold. much like the guy who leaves the broker though…secrecy and caution at every turn. my best friend stole my stash of gold one day….we run him out on a rail, and if had been during shtf he wouldnt have done so well with the others.
    as for testing metals, my partner the engineer/geologist heads that up. i have a lot of videos on this, however they are sitting 1000km away at camp. if someone puts up a thread when i get there i can reference.
    my thaughts on coins or tender… put a coin or a nugget infront of me ill take the nugget. and if its coins everyone wants you cant guarantee its quality, lead and nickle mixed with gold or….others… same with rings and jewlery.
    theres my wooden nickles worth….

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

i must mention, some of the processes are toxic and poisonous. respirators, vacuum vents, and experiance are in play here. for the most part when testing metals and you have some knowledge of the process you use, its pretty easy to learn.
    cross contaminates could be… mercury {naturaly occuring} …cyanide{also natural}…arsenic {also natural}
    if you test metals be aware and ventilate to avoid gaseous fumes, wear surgical gloves avoid contact depending what you use to what your testing for.
    the one video i had of mercury we collected, and run through a bunch of powder to gather the gold like a magnet, then suck out the mercury leaving the gold behind in one big clump. well that video didnt load so heres a shot of a little visitor we had coming back from the river…

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

We are mostly sticking with silver in the form of junk coins. I believe most people will default to previous experience and comfort zones in an emergency situation. Therefore, we purchase the older (pre 1964) silver coins for a couple of reasons:
    1) Relatively easy to acquire
    2) Easily recognizable by everybody as having value
    3) And in my opinion will be easier to exchange in known quantities for an item
    4) I can’t really afford much gold :)

Now, with that being said, what about verification of purity if you only have silver or gold bars? You will need to set value, and determine that it is authentic. Unless you work in the industry someone could very easily fool you. So, it probably wouldn’t hurt to have one of these testing kits on hand.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_gnr_aps?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3APrecious+metal+test+kits&keywords=Precious+metal+test+kits&ie=UTF8&qid=1396679738“>

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Silver coins is good, the old ones are very good and they come in all sizes which helps with barter since every time you barter they will be product that you would only pay 1/2 oz of silver and not 1 oz.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.