Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I have done my best to cultivate a reputation for having almost infinite patience… but sometimes, even I had my limits…

My commanders either loved me or hated me because I had a tendency to speak my mind fearlessly (but, with permission, of course… )…

I was so frustrated by the quality of some of our new guys that I had a “Marty Pascal” moment with my last commander… I didn’t ever mistreat my guys, but I just had to vent...

At about the 1:10 minute mark… :)

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Did you learn more patience in the service Malgus, or were you always so? I still struggle with it daily… and to think I have gotten better. Think I would have been kicked out of the service or gone crazy. You write very clearly and in simple, economical detail. A sign of a well ordered mind. Personally it would be nice if more people were direct, said what they mean and mean what they say. World would be simpler to navigate. It still surprises me that it is not a more highly coveted trait. Loved the clip…bet you ‘discussed’ ‘issues’ with a bit of southern with yr guys eh what?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

tweva,

Time and experience… learning how to handle people – not manipulate them – took a great deal of time. The military attracts quite a lot of Alpha’s. All those egos clashing together, each one wanting to be King Sh*t of the Bean Hill…

Getting people to do what you want them to do and have them think they came up with the idea… well, that is an art in an of itself.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you, is that when you are going to confront someone about something, you should already have what you want them to do to correct the issue in mind. Do not corner them – even the smallest animal will fight teeth and claws when it is cornered… confront them, then suggest to them the way out (or course of action) that you are already prepared to accept. Heh.. don’t actually tell them that, but instead act reluctantly, as if you are ‘settling’ for that… :) and let them take the credit for it…

But even my almost infinite patience can be tested. I cannot stand what I refer to as “stupid sh*t”, having almost no patience for it at all… Having fun is one thing. Acting the fool is quite another. Blatant stupidity another. Trying to play me or overtly manipulate me (leveraging) falls under that as well. I’m always honest – most times, brutally so – but I’m not heartless… My biggest fault is that I expect others to be the same way, so I’ve grown cynical after being taken advantage of by liars.

I’ve had meltdown moments and went Full Marty on folks before – everyone needs to blow off steam now and again…

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

So Malgus nice post, is something peaking your tolerances now we should know about?

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

So Malgus nice post, is something peaking your tolerances now we should know about? — 1974

HAHAHAH!! No my friend, nobody here on the site, or even here at the house is pushing my buttons… don’t be so suspicious.. My wife tried to draw me into two separate arguments tonight, but I called her on both of them and bowed out. She and I both get that way sometimes… just spoiling for a fight.. :) But, we love each other… always have. Always will..

If someone here were pushing my buttons, I think you would see something you haven’t seen yet… :)

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Malgus great advice!

I’ve been managing 13 -20 women for 25 years. What an experience .Like herding cats. Between that and dealing with the general public I’ve had an education…and have to actively watch my cynicism levels. People lie, cheat, steal, make excuses, implicate others for their own deeds, and basically don’t take responsibility for anything. Common sense is the single most lacking quality in most people IMHO.

Because our business was started on a shoestring, everyone knows (and I remind them when they whine), that there is nothing they are being asked to do that I have not done myself and would not still do. I don’t ‘do drama’. Create sh*t, stir up/promote stupid sh*t and you are gone. You know something is going on (say someone is stealing internally) and you don’t tell me and I find out you knew? You are gone with the thief. And I will find out.

I get very, very calm when I am angry and deciding what I am going to do about it – fortunately. It doesn’t happen often. Guess its’ noticeable enough change that it makes people nervous and guilty feeling…usually get a string of ‘confessions’ – many about stuff I wasn’t even angry or know about!

Am direct, blunt and to the point. But I don’t raise my voice or get angry very often. The direct approach tends to stun most people – because they are anything but.

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

i met this guy, instantly i didnt like him. my nerves curled when he spoke, i couldnt accept what he had to say, i disrespected his opinion. at that monent, i stopped myself… i cant possably dislike a guy this much and there has to be something about him i get along with…. he’s my best friend today, one of them, and i only got four.otherwise i categorize ” aquantance, neighbors, stranger, family, friend, bad guy…”
    but i stop, i curb my anger and switch channels, constructive ideas, fix the problem, look at the situation honestly, and try to solve or make amends. i drove a moving truck for 14 years and dealt with some….people.
    iv been face to face with wild animals, and i prefer the wild animals over people. unless of course a person has the ability to be neutral and productive.

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.