Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Return to the 23.
    Long story short, back when the G23 came out I picked up one of the first to hit the area.
    A Gen2, bluntly it was lackluster at best.
    Accuracy was poor at best, I had a dozen that would easily outshoot it with no effort. Including a G21.
    It went away with no tears or regrets.

Fast forward 20 some years.
    Desiring something that carries more rounds (and slightly slimmer profile) than my G30, with cheaper practice ammo for teaching classes, I fell into……..
    another Gen2 23.

An LE trade in, it has a bunch of miles on it, but few rounds through it. Guessing a defectives gun.

Went to the range with some friends, the only bay available had a gong at 160y.
    Within a couple mags, was making more hits on the gong than misses.
    I think there was some help involved as my pastor was one of the other shooters.

Thought to myself, if the original 23 had been half as good as this one, I’d still have it and could have saved thousands over the years messing with other CCW guns.

Anyone want to trade some like new G17 mags for some 22/23 mags?
    Was originally going to make a G19L until this came along.
    Now, I think I’ll just stick with this and not mess around with the 9mm version.

Still building 1911’s, but a mess of LE trade in G22’s just hit the market.
    Something to tide the kids over.

FYI, the Steyr M9 & M40 are still better guns.

Why a 20+ year old gun?
    Simple, the price was right and when the frame finally has issues, the $65 new frame and original purchase price is still much less than even my cost new ad a dealer for a Gen3 let alone a 4.

Profile photo of higherview
    higherview
    Survivalist
    member2

I got my first semi auto hi-cap pistol after feeling the need to have protection for my family when my kids were just little. The man at the gun counter was a competitive shooter and he advised that I pick a spot on the wall to aim, close my eyes and then try pointing different pistols to see which one would consistently point closest to intended target for me. In my case it was the Glock each time, so I when with it. I chose the Glock 19, which was fairly new at the time and the “controversy” was raging over polymer framed guns. After a short time I switched from the 9mm to the .40 S&W and the Glock 23. At the time Police departments were switching in large numbers to the .40 S&W and the Glock was probably the most popular choice. This is still the case currently, although there has been some movement to the 9mm .357 Sig and other gun makers than the Glock.

Around the time of the Clinton Gun Ban in 1994 Boston’s Gun Bible was published (1998, Boston T. Party). Still a classic, he highly recommended the Glock pistols and, because of the ban (which expired in 2004, thanks in big part to George W. Bush) he recommended purchasing as many private sale Glock 23’s and magazines as you came across and could afford. Not bad advice, but it does mean that over the years I have “collected” a few spare G23’s both Gen 2-3. It turned out this was good financial advice also, since their value has risen faster than any money left in the bank during these same years.

Now I also have drop in barrels in 9mm and .357 Sig which can be used to shoot these cartridges thought the G23s. Also a threaded barrel for use when suppression is desired. All of the G32’s I have shoot well and are great for concealed as well as open carry, as well as a night stand gun. It is my “go-to, all-around” hand gun.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Little update, its still a Glock.
    The grenade texture does little to make the gun stay in place in the hand.
    So a quicky texture job, not one of my best, it now stays firmly in place.

photo 635D1610-EDA2-4C82-824C-12A51289B176_zpstzlqhkcx.jpg

So why the .40 and not the 9mm which is so popular again?
    Not to start a caliber war, while I like the 9mm in certain circumstances (or guns), personal defense is one of those areas where the intangibles make all the difference to each shooter. And having shot a number of critters over the years, I just can’t bring myself to trust the cartridge fully. My luck just hasn’t been good.
    Doesn’t mean it isn’t good, just means I just don’t trust it as much as others.

Unlike those who frequent the urban jungle, I’m more likely to run into a bear, mountain lion or wolf than some cholo. They are all right outside town, sometimes inside town.
    Then there’s the deer, elk and moose walking down the street daily.
    The 9mm just doesn’t have enough oomph in my experience.
    Neither does the .40, but it does drive deeper with the ammo I’m using.
    And having played “ring around the aspen tree” with an unhappy moose before, I want something that might crack a skull if needed.

It may not be a .45, but it’s good to go.
    (can’t believe I put that in print)

Another reason, a Wyoming traffic jam.
     photo 02AA451C-4AAA-4407-B930-2AE9AA9DEA89_zpsj2glo42c.jpg

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.