Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The 75b is close to the same gun, minor changes such as the firing pin safety that was added but realistically the same gun.
    And yes, the stainless versions are pretty much the same.
    I like stainless but prefer carbon steel properly coated or plated after all smithing is done. The stainless is slightly softer/stickier in machining and can benefit from the same coatings or plating.

The European ipsc and idpa for years were dominated by the CZ and Tanfoglio variants. The Glock has taken a lot of that as far as carry guns, but for the unlimited class, the steel guns are still king.

The EAA Witness is a CZ clone made by Tanfoglio and can be a decent option. Especially for those in Florida. The currently made ones are a little sharp, corners and edges but the metallurgy has improved over the last 30 years also.
    Skip the poly framed guns, the steel will out last them.

I had a TZ compact 9mm go through the shop a while back, it was very hard to let it go. Hindsight being what it is, I should have held onto it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, I was looking at these online, are they the one’s you are talking about?

http://www.gunsinternational.com/CZ-Pistols.cfm?cat_id=23

There are many of the same online. There must be gun stores here in South Florida that sell them.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Yup those are the ones.

The P01 version is aluminum framed and beats all the Nato and other tests if that means something.

http://cz-usa.com/press-release/cz-p-01-gets-nato-approval-the-next-generation-of-perfect-pistols/

I prefer the balance of the original and the compact but the P01 has its fans.

The poly framed guns are hard to holster and just don’t feel the same.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, this one is not the stainless steel, http://www.kygunco.com/cz-75-bd-9mm-pistol-black-polycoat-35951

But is CZ75 BD is it the same? Thank for the info on the aluminum will read up on it. But I do like the original one.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, I found this article were the author thinks that the CZ 75 is being over looked by many. He ends with “time to admire that quality hunk of Czech steel.”

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/overlooked-cz-75/

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The B models are the firing pin safety models, minor changes from the original.

The D models are decocker models, dropping the hammer safely unlike doing it manually on the rest.

Personally I don’t like the decocker, but that’s from 30 years of 1911 use and I will carry the CZ with the hammer back and the safety on, condition one.

No less a personage than the late Col Jeff Cooper lauded the CZ75 back when it was almost unobtainable, only lamenting the caliber.

You will note that the Bren X pistol that was so favored by Cooper for its short life, was a copy of the CZ only chambered for the 10mm and .45acp.

I keep meaning to pick up a CZ97 in .45acp but never have the cash with me, probably a good thing. There was an experimental model made in 10mm, I await its release. Probably forever, but I’m waiting.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks for all the info Whirlibird, I am thinking of getting one, they are priced low and is a good gun to have.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

@Whirlibird

I’d love a 10mm in the future, and not a “carry” model.
    Is the EAA “Witness Hunter” a decent gun? I have read that it is a CZ-style (copy) weapon.
    Is it a good copy, and/or is their a CZ equivalent available?

I read what you said about a 20 year life span, and from now on, it’s STEEL for me!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The Tanfoglios can be excellent guns.
    However the 10 and .45s are lightly sprung, both recoil springs and mag springs, replace them to begin with, especially the 10mm.

We have a number of the .45s of various vintages in my hunting camp, the last one brought in was a brand new (2 years ago) wonder finish full size. It easily was hitting soda cans at 30 to 40y. Excellent gun, the safery was a bit mushy for my tastes and the edges a bit sharp but for the price, the owner wasn’t complaining. First handgun at the age of 65.

The match or hunting versions have better barrels than the standard guns, some of which exhibit 1/5 syndrome, dropping one in five out of a group for no readily apparent reason.

Do I like the CZ and Tanfoglio guns? Enough so that I’m getting matching full size and compacts each for the wife and kids.

With a little maintenance, oil and springs they are lifetime guns. Especially if lead bullets are used for practice so the barrels don’t wear out.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Nice rundown

I saw a youtube about the recoil springs, but the rest is new info.

Thanks Whirli!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

back “On Topic”

A Glock can be upgraded with a Wolf Barrel and Springs.
    This barrel will be better for hot handloads, as it is fully supported (verify, Whirli?)
    I would suggest a fully supported barrel if you are looking to shoot custom loads.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I prefer an M&P for a poly-gun, it has an inner metal frame that has a complete wrap, unlike a Glock or Springfield.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>undeRGRönd wrote:</div>back “On Topic”

A Glock can be upgraded with a Wolf Barrel and Springs.<br>
    This barrel will be better for hot handloads, as it is fully supported (verify, Whirli?)<br>
    I would suggest a fully supported barrel if you are looking to shoot custom loads.

Fully supported is arguable, but it is a great improvement.
    And with the conventional rifling, you can shoot lead bullets safely.

All of your aftermarket barrels are better supported, still not as much as some but the difference is both tangible and in some opinions, needed.

A secondary reason to swap barrels, especially in the .40 is to get rid of the sloppy chamber expansion that often ruins cases the first firing. Even using the specialty swaging dies that recondition the case, its still weaker for the original stretching and subsequent working by the die.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

blockquote><div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>undeRGRönd wrote:</div>I prefer an M&P for a poly-gun, it has an inner metal frame that has a complete wrap, unlike a Glock or Springfield.

The frame insert does help, but its not the same as a lining insert that would/could contain and redirect the overpressure.

If you compare the poly guns, the M&P is good but the Steyr M9 and variants are better yet. Better frame insert, better slide rails, conventional rifling, metal mag, the list of improvements is almost staggering. The negative? Typical Steyr lack of advertising, lack of guns, the importer doesn’t get enough and doesn’t always kmow what’s coming.

But, I will highly recommend them, personal opinion, they’re the best of the poly guns for the money.

Want to spend a bit more?
    H&K 45 and P30 are the tops.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4027

http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/p30-thursday

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Good Info.
    But I think my focus will be on metal frame weapons.
    How is the RIA 2011 Double Stack?

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.