Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

What I like about a no-exceptions sales tax is that everyone would have skin in the game. It is very easy to endlessly demand more services and to vote for anyone who says they’ll give you something for nothing, but if you have to be picking up part of the tab yourself then maybe you’d think twice. My understanding is that half the people with income in this country don’t pay any Federal income tax. No incentive there to not demand more from the Feds. In some high property tax States there are income ceilings that effectively reduce your tax burden if your income is below certain levels. It’s then easy to demand more local services when the property tax you pay isn’t going to go up.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, I hope you are right but there is no history that I know of about a country going though a collapse as big as this one will be to know if it will fix it or all hell happens. We just do not know what will be the end result. We may get a military dictatorship or a divided country. The divided country maybe two or three countries or more. We just do not know what a large collapse will bring.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom, therein lies the problem. We could trade one set of problems for an even worse set. For example, I thought Bush II was a pretty crappy President with his disregard for the Constitution and all, and at the time it didn’t occur to me that his successor would be even worse. At a minimum many will die as a result of any economic collapse, and it wouldn’t just be those anonymous “others”. Yet, the current system is not sustainable.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, you are right that the current system is not sustainable. There is one thing that has changed things a little. Oil in America. It has lowered the price of oil worldwide and may keep the system running for a little longer and the dollar higher. How long will this last I am not sure. Two years ago I said that the system would collapse by 2015. Now I think it will not collapse because of the amount of oil found in the U.S.

Now since it will not collapse that easy will the government find another way to collapse the system? I think that the owners of the Federal Reserve will collapse the system only when the dollar is not valuable for them to print anymore.
    Think about it, if you were a partner of this group and you were able to just print all the money you want why would you stop that? Only reason would be when the dollar has no value or when you have set up a new system that will bring you more wealth.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free,
    I don’t believe our Fed wants a crash. Preventing one is the problem with so many internal and external pressures. Low oil prices look like a boon to us but lower prices will impact all the other procucers like Russia and they may not be able to allow such a significant disruption to their economy. It might be necessary for them to remove competition in the marketplace to keep the balance of revenue equitable.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, maybe but the oil boom in the U. S. has changed things.

Now the economy may stay alive a little longer and a collapse date has changed. Collapse will still happen because there is just to much national debt. We just got more time.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Whether the oil/energy boom gives the economy more time or not depends upon what the Feds do with the benefits that come from it. Will they apply it towards balancing the budget or will they just ratchet up the pork parade? Perhaps more important than what benefits may be derived from the oil boom is whether rule of law returns to govt. and Wall St. The new Attorney General can continue the corruption embraced by Eric Holder and the current administration or she can do the right thing by the American people and start seeking indictments. Having heard her praise Holder & O, I am not betting she’ll do the right thing. Another huge issue is whether the Fed will continue to manipulate things for the benefit of the big banks and Wall St. to the detriment of the American people.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

If you live in the US, you have two powers that a citizen of Canada does not have. One is nullification. (In Canada we can nullify on a jury but almost no citizens know about this power.) I first learned about nullification in the US from Tom Woods. If you don’t know about the powers of nullification please see Tom Woods’ book:

http://tomwoods.com/books/nullification/

You also have sheriffs that you elect. Canadians only have the RCMP and in some places local police, all paid for and controlled by the government. If you haven’t heard about the Oath Keepers they are committed to the Constitution. “Oath Keepers is an American nonprofit organization that advocates that its members (current and former U.S. military and law enforcement) disobey any orders that they are given if they believe they violate the Constitution of the United States.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_Keepers

But like I have said before, all of these things are out of my control. I only have power over how I can structure my household affairs. How the world is structured is out of my control.

PS freedom: I used to think that PT was only for the rich too. As technology has changed, these methods are becoming more and more affordable. Learn the methods and apply what you can to your personal situation. Think outside the box. As Harry Browne once say, we are already free, we just have to choose to live that way.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, the fed can keep spending but the lower oil prices will still slow down the collapse, why well lower gas prices at the pump means lower food, products, electricity, and lower manufacturing. The feds can’t control that very easy. This will slow down the debt to a point, more tax revenue will come in. Also the feds will be limited by the GOP approving any more spending. The GOP now control the purse! They will cut some of the ObamaCare programs by not funding them. This will not end ObamaCare but will slowly kill it. All of this will slow down the collapse to a point.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom, I wish I could be as optimistic as you. What you say is possible but it is far from assured. The R’s like to spend just as much as the D’s, just differently. They all like to be at the front of the pork parade. The general public loves pork when it is served to them. In today’s paper there was an article about one of the nearby ski resort towns, a rather wealthy place by VT standards, and they were looking for $100,000 to fund a study of what they could do to improve their downtown. That they should figure it out or fund it themselves doesn’t even occur to them. A couple years ago the town next to mine got a $150,000 grant to replace the windows in the Town Hall. The local officials sang the praises of this “investment” which was going to save them $4,000 a year in heating costs. That it was a 37.5 year payback which makes it a horrible investment didn”t occur to them. Those windows will surely be replaced again before they ever pay for themselves. More revenue coming almost always means more spending opportunities.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, Oh I agree with you that the R’s spend just like the D’s. What I am saying is the oil boom in the U. S. that the two parties can’t control will slow the collapse since low oil means the prices of food and everything else will go down. These does not have anything to do with Washington. They will keep spending our money for sure.

I just see that the oil boom has slowed down the collapse but it will still happen. There is just to much debt.

Have you seen since the oil boom and the prices of gas has gone down so has Gold and Silver that is also temporary.
    The debt will keep growing and no matter how much oil we have it will not help us.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.