Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Weiown, for the more routine SHTF events that most of us will experience at some point in time, a major portion of which are weather or natural disaster related in some fashion, I feel I am well positioned. I live in a small hamlet of sorts in a moderately rural location so I have neighbors for mutual assistance (vs being isolated and entirely on my own). I am well provisioned to meet most needs and have a hand pump on my well ensuring unlimited clean water for myself and my neighbors. I’m on septic and thus would have working toilets for the duration, and I have a woodstove for heat. A blizzard or ice storm that keeps me housebound or a loss of power for a period wouldn’t be much more than a temporary inconvenience. This is why I don’t worry much about the kinds of routine SHTF events that we’ll all experience at some point.

In a longer term SHTF scenario I agree, communication channels will be essential. This is why I am intrigued with this shortwave/ham radio stuff. Beyond that, the cultural heritage of our Puritan forebears in rural New England is that for nearly 400 years at this point we have governed ourselves via what we call Town Meeting and use of committees and what are essentially volunteer town officials, be they elected or appointed. Calling a Town Meeting to gather and dispense info would be almost automatic and out of it would come whatever committees and setting up of communication channels that are needed. I imagine shortwave/ham radio would be part of that system.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

MB good way to put it. They will set up a committee. How the millions they are spending to set up the new system here will affect me I have no idea. But if they figure I have a need to know they’ll tell me. It’s easier to work around the edges than to try to keep up with the official plans. Their next big idea is to set up a wifi fot the whole town. Cell phone alerts as well. Dont know if that will happen though but full wifi has a lot of potential. Otherwise it’s all locked down. LoL

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Brulen, having grown up in suburbia and spent most of my life in Massachusetts I know exactly what you are describing. The bureaucracies just keep expanding to the point of over improvements. Wifi for the town? It does have a lot of potential but I’d be thrilled to have cellphone coverage as a starting point. Small towns such as I live in do not even begin to have the resources to do anything but keep it simple and keep services minimal. In a little bit I will head over the Town Hall and let myself in now that I have a key as a result of being a Lister (Assessor). No security system to turn off. Town Hall is open 24 hours a week is all, staffed by two people. I can only email property tax documents on account we don’t have a fax machine. The Listers share a phone line with the Town Treasurer. The Town Transfer Station is open 16 hours a week and the Library 25. There are no police. The Highway Commissioner is the same guy that plows the snow in the winter and fills in the potholes in the Spring and brush hogs along the sides of the roads in the summer. The Fire Dept.is all volunteer. The Selectboard meets twice a month. Very little bureaucracy because there aren’t resources to support it, nor do people expect Town Govt. to be doing much of anything for them. Come SHTF, the ensuing local efforts to deal with the situation will be kept simple and at the minimum level needed.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Weiown!

Social media can be good way of obtaining info, of course again you need to dig for info, but much better then other usual ways of getting information.

At the end it all come to the fact how organized you are (where you are etc.) if you are in big city in the middle of SHTF without network of people, skills and preps you are gonna be forced to plan your action on information that you get, actually on rumors mostly, and that dramatically raise risk for you.

If you are at safe location, with other like minded people, with your preps and everything else you are gonna be able to let s say “ignore” bigger picture because you are prepared to survive if you understand me (like MB mentioned).

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I am a “Ham.” About the hand held radios: These are great for the job they do. One way of getting around the limited distance is a “relay point.” A talks to B who then talks to C.
    I monitor the air waves via my radios, scanners and the Internet. When I think things are going wrong I will then work my friends, police, people on the fringe and folks that walk on the other side of the law. Talking to my local postman, UPS driver and farmers/ranchers will also produce information.
    Robin

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

in a major event the mobile phone signals would be shut down by TPTB, I think they were in 9/11 and in the Boston bombings? probably would also include the internet and “social media” anyway I don’t take any notice of Facebook or Twitter..Don’t belong to either.. and they’ll probably be full of panicking sheeple anyway. I’m far enough away from the centre of anywhere to just sit tight and hunker down.

British Survivalist.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The problem with shutting down the internet and cell phones is that so much of emergency services today rely on them. They cant shut them off without cutting off their own help.

There’s so much that goes on that you don’t want hitting scannerland that a great deal of LE work is done by phone rather than radios. That will not change in an emergency, it will probably multiply because of all the radio traffic that will be happening.
    Reports and computer aided dispatching are done in the patrol cars, via the internet.

What generally happens is the power to the towers is interrupted and service is lost.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I’m glad I left the city 15 years ago, I am well out of it now and do all my shopping except food shopping online now, mostly Ebay and Amazon and get it delivered to the door.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.