Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ronym
    ronym
    Survivalist
    member5

just another idea…
    actually we don’t have to wait until the SHTF take place
    i know… it sound strange idea
    but as we know ( every prepper or survivalist must be know )
    in every SHTF event whether it is natural or “man made”
    there must be “sign” and step
    ( thank’s to Selco who already describe it very well )
    take an example… Tsunami
    in few ancient text ( and in few old culture ) there are “sign” before Tsunami really hit
    ( in Nias island which have “old wisdom”, few old people has seen sign before Tsunami
    such as, animal ( wild animal ) run to the hill, etc
    so does earthquake, etc.
    in man made SHTF like war
    before actually happened, there must be rumor about war ( war threat, ultimatum, etc )
    as a prepper, we will know is it serious threat or just ordinary threat
    if it is serious threat, the we will know when and how it really take place
    ( maybe we will know in the news about troop and battle armor take a move or any public announcement about war… or even the opposite… if it officially denied than maybe it’s true )
    for “stealing”…
    maybe i am not discuss about morality
    rather i have another idea about other possibility
    why we must steal if somebody willing to take a ride with us ?
    just simple ask… or some mutual agreement / cooperation
    maybe with our friend… or family…
    or someone we doesn’t know but he/she are honest people
    ( i know it seems in SHTF situation are impossible, but who know ? )
    buy the way there are somekind of “attraction” law ( actually it’s God’s causality law )
    good people will attract other good people
    so does believer will attract other believer
    and of course prepper will attract other prepper
    any good deed will be punished by other good deed
    ( if we are steal other people thing then sooner or later we will “reap or harvesting” what we are “sow”
    it’s just a matter of when … and how )

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ronym,
    I like what you said, particularly about theft.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Pheonix, lots of good thoughts have already been expressed but I have one question for you. Why do you want to go back to FL? I realize it is home but such a journey is fraught with peril and the odds aren’t all that great if you have to walk it. Having others with you be it walking or riding a bike is helpful in many ways and so that is a positive but at the same time you will only move as fast as the slowest of you. If any of you develop blisters from walking or get your inner thighs chafed riding a bike all day long, your forward progress will slow to a crawl. I have experienced both. I have taken 100 mile bike rides a handful of times, and unless all three of you are in really good shape and experienced doing rides like that, do not assume it’s not a big deal. Once I did it two days in a row with a group riding from the Canadian border to the MA border and I only finished the 2nd day due to sheer determination. It used every ounce of reserve I had to finish the 2nd day. No way could I have done it for several weeks. Additionally, your calorie and water requirements will be very high with all of that energy expenditure. Even driving can leave you stranded if the nature of the situation is such that State borders will be closed. One last comment on bikes, the folding bike idea is a real good one, but having owned and ridden many bikes over the years, the fit of a bike is really important in terms of whether you can just ride all day long comfortably. I own three bikes currently. Only one of them really fits me well. For short rides any of them are fine. For long rides I can tell the difference fairly quickly. Riding a generic folding bike is way better than walking but don’t think it will be easy to go 2,200 miles.

If the answer to my question is that your wife and other kids are in FL, then my next question is what is the nature of your set up there? Are you urban/suburban or rural? Would they be able to fend for themselves for the months it might take you to get home? If not, then is it possible for them to go to ND also, even if not to the exact same spot you’ll be in? If where you are going is one of those energy projects I understand that there are housing shortages, but maybe they could relocate to someplace within say 100 miles? In a true national level SHTF situation, odds are you’ll be far better off in ND than FL anyway so my bottom line suggestion is to think in terms of you and yours hunkering down up there if that is at all possible.

A final comment on the comments on hightailing it back to FL before the SHTF happens. We are the proverbial frog in a pot of water being brought to a boil already. There are enough hot spots around the world and threats to the US right here and now that we are already in the “rumors of war” stage.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

One more comment. Good luck to you! No matter what, you are ahead of the game versus the general population. Whenever it happens, many will find themselves far away from home but few will have ever thought through the issues such as you are trying to do. You will also take action faster than the general public, and that could well make all the difference. Day one maybe you can drive home. Day 2 maybe not. You at least will take action on day 1.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtbiker,
    Thoughtful advise. Keeping the family close and maintaining cohesion as a unit is an important consideration.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

Thanks for the ideas and advice.

Most of family is in Florida. I will bug out for home at the first sign of SHTF. The guys I will be with all think like me and will have the same goals and will be willing to realistically put a plan into play. My brothers house is 14 hours away by car and he will have supplies waiting if we need them. My family in Florida should be able to hold out. But most likely everyone will head to my brother’s at the first sign of trouble. Where he lives is rural, not heavily populated and not always easy to access if you do not know where you are going.

Profile photo of Drag0n
    Drag0n
    Survivalist
    member1

If you are traveling to North Dakota and planning on staying any length of time, there are some things you need to think about. First thing to know, in a couple of months, it’s going to get very, very cold up here. We’re talking double digit below zero. So, you have to factor that into your prep’s. You also need to be aware of how to deal with the snow. You will need to have a good 4 X 4 vehicle, with snow tires, and chains.
    Another thing to think about is to long term food and short term food. When I worked in the oil field, I regularly carried a minimum of 3 days worth of food in my lunch box. I also carried a multi-tool, and aspirin. I also carried a small duffle bag with 2 complete changes of clothes, spare boots, and extra socks. (that was just the summer bag). In the winter, I also carried a couple of wool blankets.
    You might also want to read up on issues like ice fishing, making snow shelters, and winter survival. Believe me, every little bit helps when the snow starts to fly up here.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

On the winter issue, consider getting a pair of snowshoes. I keep a pair in my truck for the winter in case I find myself needing to walk a long distance on an unplowed road, or if I have to go offroad. Otherwise think about how you will keep your hands, feet and ears warm. Take care of those three areas and the rest of the body will likely take care of itself. Most so called winter gloves and boots made for the masses will not keep you hands or feet warm for long. You need stuff designed for being outdoors all day. For normal cold I just use the hood that goes with my Carhartt winter weight jacket. For really cold weather I switch to a Mad Bomber Hat which really does the trick on even the coldest days.

Profile photo of Drag0n
    Drag0n
    Survivalist
    member1

Another thought on surviving the winter up here in ND. Always carry a heavy plastic tarp in your vehicle during the winter. Should you become stuck somewhere, being able to block the wind can mean the difference between life and death.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good points Drag0n, it is gonna be long trip, and it is easy to forget on seasons.
    It is impossible of course to carry amount of food needed, but it is good idea to think about means and tools to get food on the way.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

I have been here almost two weeks now and know more. There are a lot of guys here from the same area of Florida that I am. It is conceivable that we could have a group of as much as a dozen people headed to the same location that are willing to work together. I am in the process of getting to know them so I can decide who to trust and not to trust and who to maybe trust if I have no other choice.

I will be purchasing heavy winter clothes I the next couple of weeks. I have been picking the brains of several people who were here last the winter and now know where to go to get what I need.

Once my paychecks start coming in regular I will begin preps in earnest. I have a decent stash at home and just before I left I actually got my wife on board with organized prepping. I will begin refining my at home preps when I am there. We typically work 30 to 40 days on and then have two weeks off so I will have the time and money to do what I need to. My family will either bug in or head to my brothers. It will depend on how much warning we have.

I will put together a BOB for here for both foot and vehicle travel. The snowshoes are a great idea, thanks. I have a good 4×4 truck with a 4 door cab and a hard cap cover that locks on the bed. I am going to pick up some snow chains and extra gas cans for it.

I am going to keep cash and silver on hand for purchases along the way.

Guns are not so easy. If they find out you even have an empty shell casing in your truck you are immediately fired. So I will have to be discreet about that prep.

There is a small airport here so I may even be able to arrange a plane to take me closer to my brothers if need be.

I imagine it will be difficult. But since most of the people in this country are sheep that will passively stand by and wait for the government to “fix it” I believe that I will have a window of opportunity to get home before they realize there is no fixing it.

My plan is to drive as far as I can, hopefully all the way. If I have to I will beg, borrow or steal what I need to get to my family. As someone said earlier, regular rule of law no longer applies. I will most likely have my son with me if he is not at home already when it happens.

Even if nothing happen it will be a good exercise. Thanks for all the advice.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

You can buy a rifle/shotgun there, leave it there when you rotate home on days off, in care of someone you trust.
    Doesn’t have to be fancy but serviceable.

Handguns, you can ship one to yourself via UPS/FedEx.
    What you have where you are staying or at a friends house, isn’t in the ‘company truck’ so they can’t whine.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Pheonix wrote: I imagine it will be difficult. But since most of the people in this country are sheep that will passively stand by and wait for the government to “fix it” I believe that I will have a window of opportunity to get home before they realize there is no fixing it.
    This is one of our key advantages no matter where we are or what our circumstances are. We will recognize the need to take action before others do. A single day can make all the difference,even a few hours.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Their will be an element that will recognize the opportunity to take advantage of the situation imeadiatly.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.