Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

As a prepper and backpacker , I like to get surplus items , that I know are either , multi purpose , or serve a need that I have trouble filling with civil gear . One such item is just that , and that is the US Army collapsable 5 quart canteen . ( 5 liters for those not in the US ) . Not sure when it started to be issued , but was used in Vietnam , then taken out of service in the 1990’s . This is a very well thought out piece of equipment , it’s basically a tough vynal bladder with a heavily reinforced cap and a good cover with several attachment points . The cap has a built in strainer , to prevent leaves and twigs , etc . from entering the bladder . The cover has several attachment points and a small pocket to place water purification tablets in . Because its a bladder , it will fold up pretty small when empty , the cover has velcro strap for this purpose . This canteen gives you the option of picking up a good amount of water at one time , when you find a source , and yet be out of your way when your on the move . It can slide into a pack easily , or strapped onto the outside of a pack . I love it , have used this thing a lot , so much that I got myself two of them . One was Vietnam issue and the other 1990’s issue , strangely enough , it was the 1990’s issue that had a cap leak . This is an easy fix , just go down to the hardware store and get a garden hose gasket , and shove it into the cap , problem solved . The only pain in the butt I have to say about these canteens , is that the bladder access slit on the side of the cover is on the small side . What I had to do was stick my hand into the cover , feel for the bottom of the bladder , then start rolling it up from the bottom , then it comes out . There are still a decent amount of these canteens out there , but they are uncommon , on-line sources are the best way to go . I highly recommend this for your BOB or stealth water procurement .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I would like to add , that the directions printed on the cover tell you that it can be filled with air , and used as a floatation device ……..I have never tried this , but Vietnam accounts , tell of soldiers using that feature to help float small gear .

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Tolik,
    Thank you for the review on the military five quart collapsible canteen. In my twenty years in the Army I was never issued one of these nor came across one other than in a military surplus shop. A friend of mine gave me one that was a complete piece of junk which leaked all over the place. I’m not saying that’s indicative of all of them as I was unsure as to whether it was already used when I received it. I believe that this was the predecessor to the “Camelbak” which has been copied by Blackhawk! and various government contractors with varying quality.
    If anything, when empty, the five quart bladder is small and light enough to stow away in your pack for future use. I think it would be most practical in transporting water from a source back to your camp where you can properly treat it and use your Camelbak as your primary source of hydration.
    Currently, as of the date and time of this post, the Sportsman’s Guide has them on clearance:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-5-quart-collapsible-canteen-new?a=644953&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-SZLA&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=shopzilla&utm_campaign=CI

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I’ve been disappointed by Sportsman’s Guide in the past couple of years, and have learned not to expect quality. They’ve been pretty good about replacement or reimbursement with only some minimal shipping loss to me, but my experience has gone downhill with them more recently. I haven’t purchased there probably in a couple of years.

I’d be very cautious with anything with a vinyl bladder, if that’s indeed the type of plastic inside this equipment. It deteriorates over time. And I suppose that if all I could have for potable water was this, I’d be grateful for it. But otherwise, I certainly wouldn’t want to drink water that had been left in it for any length of time, and I’d want to rinse and air it out well before filling it for short-term future use. Vinyl deteriorates – any time you can open a plastic container and smell that tell-tale “plastic-y” smell, that means it’s off-gassing (deteriorating). And that stuff simply ain’t good for bodies, if there is a better alternative available. Anything that’s a couple decades old or more is much more likely to be vinyl.

If you do get one, pressure-check it WELL, almost immediately, so you can return it. I’d expect it would have a relatively high likelihood of leakage. Fill it, sit on it with at least some pressure, and see if the seams are tight and will hold up. If it’s intact and the smell isn’t too strong, it’s probably a great find.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

GS,
    Sportsman’s Guide is a hit or miss company for me; however, since there are no more ma and pa “Army-Navy” military surplus stores around me anymore, I’m not left with much of an option. I have no problem sending stuff back that’s garbage. Usually when I tell them that they sent me a defective product they pay the return fee. It’s only if I order a wrong size or something to that effect, that I have to pay return shipping.
    I know what you mean about the vinyl taste and smell. I remembered getting issued gear at CIS at Bragg and it smelling terrible. Canteens usually smelled like mold and tasted the same way when filled. Ponchos usually smelled like Rottweiler feces.
    As much as I would like to try out one of these five quart bladders, at $22.00 a pop plus S&H (I usually wait until they offer free shipping), it’s just a little too pricey for me now…especially since gas prices went up like fifty cents a gallon this week.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I thought the
    MSR dromedary 10L was far superior for water, but for Hurricanous its better to store beer and ensure. I would use vinyl to store toilet water. Water for the dog. Aluminum canteens were the only containers we ever used in boy scouts.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Brulen,
    Thank you for the recommendation. I never heard of the MSR Dromedary 10L before and checked it out. It’s a little pricey but as the saying goes, “you get what you pay for”…or at least you should. As far as the military five quart, I’m still willing to give it a chance as a means to transport unprocessed water. One thing I always found amusing about being in the military and seeing civilians marvel at military goods was that everybody loved using the term “military grade”, but never had the torture of experiencing “military grade”. lol

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

but never had the torture of experiencing “military grade”. lol

LOL indeed! It’s called, “the lowest bidder.” But in their case, it’s NOT “you get what you pay for” – you pay a premium and STILL get Delta Sierra. :-)

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.