Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I sometimes hear people worrying about having the right gas mask for different things , but as usual , it depends on what you want it for . I dont worry about all the chemical , biological /nuclear stuff , because the reality is , with what is in todays arsenal , you will be affected before you even realize there is a problem .

That said , I wanted a gas mask for what I , in my situation is probably going to be the most likely event that I will ever need a gas mask , and that is civil unrest . I wanted something that would give me complete protection from tear gas and OC , used by the brownshirts , trying to get things under control , but I did not want to spend a lot of money on the darn thing . My solution ? The Soviet GP-5 , it gives you complete head protection , is fast to put on , just stretch and pull over , your done ! ( Oh ! dont forget to pull the plug on the canister ) But thats ok , the first time you try to inhale , you will know you forgot to do that .
    They are dirt cheap and unissued ( were in Soviet civil defense storage , now being liquidated by the break away countries ) . Like a lot of Soviet gear , it does the job with no frills , no more , no less .
    I would not trust it for all the modern crap I mentioned above , but then again , even the top of the line will only protect for 24 hours , more often than not . This will absolutely make you proof against tear gas and OC . Shop around and you do need to get the right size , they should come with the mask , a canister , a bag , and no fog lenses .
    The lenses are expired , throw them away and keep the tin , the canister is also expired , toss it away and get a modern industrial canister , I got a Mestel , but make your own judgement on this , the modern canister cost me 3 times what the mask did . Just Sayin .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Tolik,
    Awesome review, thank you!
    I own two of these masks. I will definitely purchase the canister you talked about.
    I also like the fact that they go over your entire head and they are a TIGHT fit.
    Hannah

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

I was looking at these and wondered seeing you both have them. How do I go about sizing for a small child.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Gypsy,
    My head is very small. I have to wear kid sized sun glasses. I think these masks would definitely fit a child!
    Hannah

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Gas mask is must have item.
    Here is Yugo army gas mask, still cheap to get here.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Selco,
    Thanks for that!
    I can also highly recommend the Finnish surplus masks, as well as the Israeli civilian ones (they run small but some are available in different sizes.)
    I don’t recommend the Czech M10M gas masks for women, children, or anyone with a small head. They are huge!
    Hannah

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

British Army surplus S10 respirators can be picked up at relatively little cost and are a good piece of gear. I’ve worn mine in many a hazardous environment with no problems experienced!

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

If you get the face mask kind CBRN make sure to get plastic protectors.. the face plate scratches easily without protection it is hard to use one after a few months, has the look of frosted glass. a new face shield is a tough and expensive replacement where a plastic protector is $5

After use make sure you change canisters if the burning type tear gas it rots the filters you dont want to find out the hard way you had a a failure during use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.