Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hi all,

I’ve recommended this on other sites before, but it couldn’t hurt to do it here, too.

If you need a hurricane lantern/lamp, there is really only one choice – The Feuerhand Baby Special #276.

Yes, it’s German. Like anything the Germans make, it’s over-engineered goodness. It’s also the last lantern made by it’s original country in the world as far as I know. Not very large, but very, very durable. The oil tanks on these things are guaranteed leakproof – double crimped seams and then the inside of the tank is coated and proofed. They DO NOT leak.

The glass globes are made of Suprax, which is pretty much the same as Pyrex glass cookware in the US. Which means you can have your lantern lit and hot and then go outside into a blowing cold rain and snow and the glass will not break. The glass isn’t invincible – if you whack it hard enough, it will break. But going from hot to cold and wet won’t break it.

Each lantern makes about 5 to 8 candlepower. It doesn’t sound like much, but believe me, they work just dandy. We had a power outage during the winter and I broke out our lanterns. We have 4. Not only did those lanterns put out enough light to live by, but they also warmed the rooms they were in substantially.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy those red hurricane lanterns at the Big Box stores. They’re cheap Made-in-China garbage. They’re leaky pieces of sh*t and the glass is thin and cheap – it’s not tempered glass at all. Just schlocky garbage.

Each lantern is about $35 to $40 bucks, depending on where you buy them. I bought mine from a German who had brand new 276’s on Ebay. Shipping was a bit more to the US, but they came quickly enough and were packaged well.

Kirkman sells them, as well as finding dealers on Ebay. Ebay has a wider selection of colors, while Kirkman is limited to just 4 or 5. I chose German Army green for ours.

http://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FHL

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

NB: Don’t forget extra wick and an extra replacement cap or two. The wick is cheap enough and comes in a 33 foot roll, if you want.

Use low-sulpher kerosene or high end lamp oil, NOT paraffin oil (especially the colored, smell-good kind) – paraffin oil will clog the wick and soot up the globe. Kerosene and high end lamp oil doesn’t stink and burns clean.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I have a strong preference for German flectarn camo , unfortunately / fortunately . Unfortunately only the Germans make it , fortunately , because it is made in Germany , its of superior quality …..ebay is a wonderful thing , damn efficient people as well( the Germans , not ebay ) , had a sizing issue question, and it was settled , shipped within the hour .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.