Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I like to share good news about equipment that works well , and this is one of them . It’s the Cold Steel ” spetsnaz ” shovel . I originally picked this up because I have some other Cold Steel products , and they have been good to me . I wanted to keep in my truck , for things like leveling out the ground for a tire jack and things like that , but when I got it and held it in my hand , I was surprised at how it felt like an extension of my arm ……not only that , but it was sharpened ! yes , sharpened along the entire edge of the blade .

I guess thats the kind of thing to expect from a knife manufacturer , but after looking at the edge for a time , I decided to see how it would do as a weapon/chopper ………….the next time I went camping , I started chopping on a small tree ( 4 inch trunk ) , this thing went through it like butter !! Unlike folding shovels , most of which are junk , this has a much wider blade compared to military style e-tools .

As a weapon , I would grab for it with no reservations , especially after seeing what it did to the tree , like I said before , its an extention of your arm , and very fast , more like a knife . Some may see the wooden handle as a drawback , but I see it as an asset , it would be no problem to replace it with a stick you find out in the woods . I keep it in my truck when not out and about , Its pretty handy , I have used it for the honey do list several times out in the yard , need to dig up that sprinkler head , or fast chop that limb , no problem . Also , if you had to …you could use it as a frying pan …not the best , but it has been done .

here is a graphic video from the manufacturer .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Cold Steel makes some of the best stuff out there. I really need to get a couple of these shovels myself, been looking at em for a while but haven’t put the money toward getting one or two.

Good review!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thank you , Yeah , that company makes some good stuff , I have three different product types from them , the shovel , the pipe hawk , and a knife ….I have been pleased with all so far .

Profile photo of temposhot
    temposhot
    Survivalist
    member1

I love mine. I learned to throw that effectively before I ever figured out how to throw a tomahawk or kukri. It is a far more versatile tool than might be thought at first glance.

Scott

Shupak
    Shupak
    Veteran
    member1

Hi Tolik,

Good review. I have this, as well. I was wondering, was your handle finished in a high gloss lacquer, as well?

I found the handle to be a bit more slick feeling in my hand than I’d have liked, so I went over it a couple times in a flat olive drab spray then wrapped the handle about 2/3’s in paracord for added grip.

That’s just a matter of personal preference, I suppose.

“You know how the first generation are warriors, and then the second generation become farmers, and then the third generation become inventors and creators, and then by the fifth generation they’r

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Yeah , it was , but mine looked more like a light wash , sort of like a new hammer , but more watered down , mine wasn’t slick , it looked like they were just trying to keep it from cracking . I have read several times , that all of Cold Steel’s wood handles vary greatly , even on the same product . This apparently is very true of their Tomahawk handles , I cant say , as I only have one of their hawks . As far as your finish color , I was looking at a wood stain called Avocado , as the name suggests , its an olive green/brown stain ….was thinking about using that on all the Cold Steel stuff , but more for my AK furniture .

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks for the information. Will check it out.

Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

I have one in the trunk of each car, one hanging on my BoB and one in my garden shed for garden use.
    I like it in the bug out bag, no one would see it as a weapon.
    Fantastic tool and weapon. Throws as well as a hawk too.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Tolik, I am great fun of shovels like this. Great tool, and weapon too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.