Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Well, I now have a new puppy that will be my bird dog. He is an unregistered yellow lab, but thus far seems pretty smart. At only 6 1/2 weeks old, he is already acting crate trained….. Woot!

image 1

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    Dogs can be a great asset but I can think of a few issues they create. Aside from the issues of food & care, the one thing they are not great at is hiding and being quite. Teaching a dog the proper time to bark and not bark is difficult, at least it has been for me. My dog barks at appropriate times when someone is at the door unexpected or a stranger in the yard etc. She can’t distinguish between when it’s ok and not ok. Of course we haven’t been practicing crawling around in the bushes either.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have been around dogs, both working and pets, my entire life. Having a properly trained dog available to retrieve your downed birds is an asset in EVERY sense of the word. It makes bird hunting 100x more productive and enjoyable as long as you do your part in training the pup correctly.

The problem most people have with dogs revolves around the right breeds and the right training for the desired task. I don’t know how many times I have sat in a ground blind looking at someone’s poorly trained dog run around the field spooking all the game. On the other hand, I have also been on hunting trips where we would not have retrieved a single bird if it wasn’t for the dog we had with us….. Training and correct breed for the task……

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Yeah it counts , there has been wide spread debate on weather a dog is a benefit or a liability , both have valid arguments , my view is that a dog is a liability SHTF .

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I think it boils down to the individual. I see a dog as an asset. Food wise they are no more of a liability than another member in your group. People food is not ideal for them but in SHTF none of us are going to be watching our diets so why should the dog. You can store dog food for them but if worse comes to worse they can survive on people food. As mentioned above training is the key. A dog generally sees hears and smells 100 times better than humans do. Game you never see, they smell. Game that has been wounded and fallen out of site, they find. You spend less time hunting for game because the dog shows you where it is at. Less effort less calories burned. The more game you recover, the more food you gather and less bullets used. Seems like a plus to me. The other thing is the companionship they offer. If you have kids a dog can be one of the comfort things from home you get to take with you. Again their senses also help with security. They know a bad guy is outside long before you do. If your dog is protective they can also be another warrior in your group. Nothing makes the brain scream run like a snarling charging dog. He may take a bullet but his attack may be the one second of distraction you needed to neutralize a threat to your family. On the noise factor, yes they could tip someone off that you are in a building but in doing so they just tipped you off to someone being outside. Of course a lot of what I have listed depends on your dogs personality. A cowardly family ankle bitter would not be nearly as useful as a well trained companion but it still provides an alarm and comfort. All I can say is if your adding a dog to your preps choose type based on the usefulness in your situation and spend lots of time with them training both the dog and the owner. A German Shepherd might me more useful in an urban environment where a Lab or other hunting breed may be more useful in rural environments. Something to think about for sure. Enjoy your new family member Sled.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Oh I almost forgot Sled. Put all your garden hoses out of reach. There is no animal on earth more destructive than a lab puppy lol. “Chew resistant” means nothing to them. :)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled, I agree with everything you said. My own dog is a hunting breed and will be a vital tool after shtf. Hunting with a dog changes everything. Dogs are the ultimate trackers so finding anything or anybody becomes much easier.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

In the cities I see that dogs will be let go so many will be in the streets barking at everyone. When people do not have food I think some will kill them for food which will not be good. The dogs that stay alive will attack people in the cities.

My dog barks all the time when he sees someone so this will be a problem at first. We will see what happens when the SHTF.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

All I know for sure is this:

1) Bird hunting without a dog is much more difficult.
    2) Being in the woods without a dog minimizes your warning of intruders in most cases (predators – 2 and 4 legged)
    3) People are more cautious about being aggressive when there is a 100+ lbs pile of fur and teeth hanging around.
    4) This little guy is cute!!!

We already have 2 other dogs so this one is filling an opening we have in our “kit” shall we say. The one is actually pretty old and has all but retired, but his nose and howler is awesome. The other is young and will end up being around 140-150 lbs when fully grown. This little guy will fit right in.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    BTY congrats on finding a new friend and family member.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Matt 76
    We can debate this all we want and I have seen good arguments for both sides , but for me and many others , the bottom line is this : These are your pets , dog , cat , doesnt matter , they are a member of your family , your going to keep them no matter what , we will adapt to the situation , and that adaptation will include them . Really no right or wrong here .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t see it as a debate, there are advantages and disadvantages just as with anything else. Knowing what they are is important. My original point was simply that a dog can give your position away if it’s a barker.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I agree , that why I felt they might be a liability .

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

No more of a noise and unmanageable liability than a teenage girl yet she would be kept if she was family. At least the dogs can be taught…..

How’s that for a point of debate?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

They are all part of family are they not ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.