Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I have an isreali gas mask that takes nato filters. I have heard you can get the manufactured date from the first 2 numbers on the outside of the canister. I have 2 questions about this. What is the shelf life of these canisters and how long will one canister protect you from say smoke or tear gas/ OC?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

http://www.securityprousa.com/gasmain.html

The best answer? It varies.

Best answer is a shelf life of @10 years sealed.

If you use it, replace the filter.

How long it lasts has much to do with particulate size, microns or chunks.

Then there’s mask life, if you find any cracking when you stretch and move the mask, its suspect. And while it may stop certain things,  it may well not stop the small dangerous bugs then.

There are some very good US made nato spec filters, I’d be looking into them I’d the masks good. Remember most places don’t surplus off good items.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Matt – the ones we were issued were good pretty much indefinitely while in a sealed bag – 30 days once opened in an uncontaminated environment – 24 hours in a contaminated one.  They had some expiration dates on the cannister, but we used to use those for training with CS in the chamber and they still worked fine; they just weren’t good for the real chemical warfare.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Matt – here’s another post I just came upon whlle magazine shopping.

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: medium;”> http://www.keepshooting.com/blog/gas-mask-filter-shelf-life/</span>

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

It would depend on the gas….. if using a corrosive like HCL gas  to smoke someone out  like 6 mins and  cartridge failure is possible, if burner cs  one use or about 4 hours  dependent on the volume put through filter you can begin to taste it. other more exotics… without skin coverage you are as good as dead. VX  phosegene mustard or sarin all go through skin and mucus membranes. they also coat surfaces  after.

I have 12 filters for general purpose Hepa rated with activated charcoal  backstop for .12 micron in size  still wont stop smaller viruses or prions which are much much smaller ….. wonder how a virus gets stopped by latex? which is 5-10 micron in porous it doesn’t using a condom with viruses is well nearly useless since HIV is .1 micron in size.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I will be getting some new filters.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.