Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Freedom – Friendly reminder, now (this month) would be a good time to clean up your garden and consider planting these vegetables:
    pole and lima beans, southern peas, peppers, cantaloupes, corn, eggplant, pumpkin, watermelon and TOMATOES!! (good, large varieties for you would be Better Boy, Celebrity, Heatwave II and Beefmaster: Heirlooms – brandywine, Delicious and Mortgage Lifter. (The mortgage lifters get enormous!)

For everyone else, a friendly reminder that now is a good time to start getting your garden ready and planted for fall crops (of course, depending on your planting zone). For me, in zone 7, I am planting this evening: more carrots, peas, spinach, and kale. In a week or so I’ll plant broccoli, cabbage and turnips (cattle love them), I started from seed indoors. IN the next week I’ll also be putting up the frames only for my cold frames so they are ready to go, do a really thorough wedding, pull a lot of spent or almost spent annuals, picking up dropped fruit (attract bugs/pests), adding more compost and fertilizer, and planting fall cover crops for the beds that will be resting next year.

If you start doing this stuff now you’ll be prepared, get a nice fall crop of more food, be ahead of the game if you use and get season extending frames ready to go – and can enjoy the beautiful fall weather.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

HAH! Sorry for the weird topic line – that’s what happens when I try and keyboard while I talk to someone! Should be ‘Now is the Time to Do these Things’. Wouldn’t let me edit the title.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    Do you compost your fruit off the ground or do you use it for something else?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tweva, I just copied and pasted it into word file to print. I am growing tomatoes right now. I will start the peppers which I grew last year. I have not grown the lima beans and the southern peas, I will buy some seed and try this year. Like the pumpkin and have an area for that.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

74 there was one older std apple here already…due to japanese beetles lots of fruit is not attractive haha n have dropped. I save them anyway to make apple cider vineager which I use lots of n also drink some in water everyday. The berries go to the rabbits

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

On this fall crop stuff, you really can plant stuff now and harvest this autumn? It would be like living on another planet for me. Here in Zone 4 we are grateful to get one crop completed. Can’t plant until the end of May or the last frost may get you, and then the 1st frost can come any time starting in mid Sept., though it seems of late it doesn’t come until Oct. This is why I have a greenhouse to get a jump start on the seedlings and have some things that last past the first frost. On the plus side we haven’t had a single day hit 90 this summer, and we’re already past the peak heat season so probably not this year. And no irrigation needed either.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

MountainBiker – I know what that’s like. Used to live, reluctantly, in northern CT. Niece went to school/lived in Burlington, VT. It has been very cool and wet here this summer as well. We actually had a spring. I do use row covers to extend my season. I planted varieties that mature early this time because who knows what this fall, much less winter will be like – it’s so off the norm right now. We have yet to have local corn available on any kind of noticeable scale. Too wet to plant at normal time and not hot enough long enough. Very odd.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MTB,
    Tweva has about a month extra of growing season over you.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

How many hayings do folks get in other parts of the country? The farmers try for 3 here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Only a few places around even have hay. Most of the dairy is gone, but traditionally they cut it twice. The hay cut in my area mostly goes to the mushroom farms for compost.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

MountainBiker – here zone 7 we get 3 cuttings usually. Last two years only 2 because it was unusually dry and hot as heck even for here.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

There are years farmers only get two here when its too wet but they try for three if they can.

74, diary in New England has a hard time competing with the big agri corps in the Midwest (ours are all small family farms) and so a lot of dairy has given over to raising beef cattle in recent years, that or they switched to cheese and yogurt products. The farms still grow corn and hay to feed them, plus lots of horses up here.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.