Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, my beans, lettuce, broccoli, and tomatoes have been a favorite for the wildlife.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The garden is going good. We got a little rain, just enough so I can have a break from watering but we are still in a serious deficit. My pond is down 22″ due to lack of inflow.

My beans (green & yellow, pole & bush) are yielding prolifically, about 5 quarts per day. For those setting aside seeds, keep a lot of beans. Easy to grow and heavy yields. I don’t fertilize at all and in dry spells I don’t water near as well as I should, yet they just grow and grow. The other nice thing about beans is you can eat them fresh, can them, or dry them.

I don’t feel like preserving the beans so I am giving them away to 8 families at this point. You can only eat so many yourself. I’m also giving away zucchinis now too. By the end of the week I’ll be doing the same with yellow squash. For now the peppers are at a level that I am using all that ripen. Nothing else is ready yet.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB your garden sounds like it is doing well this year. A big doe learned to jump my fence this spring. It has eaten damm near everything. It leaves the hot pepper plants and potatoes alone but destroyed my beans, corn, broccoli and lettuce.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

You guys need a farmbot with put down capability. We have still not caught a deer in our netting. There was a deer that broke into a local business and set off the alarm. He went thru a window and took,off when the cops came. A friend had a deer jump at just the right moment and it hit the window strut of the front and drivers side. It died (cut in half) and left the whole contents of its gut on the driver and inside the vehicle. It stunk to the moon. It didn’t total the vehicle. Toyota fixed it , an fj cruiser and it was traded in as virtually new. High demand they got a good price and a much newer vehicle. She probably wants to puke every time she sees a deer lol. Venison isn’t on the menu.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

My fishing line surrounding the garden, in combination with spraying that nasty smelling stuff has done a pretty good job keeping the deer out. Not 100% but pretty good. I haven’t had a bear come into it yet this year either, though I know one has been coming around my apples trees. Jokes on him though as there are hardly any apples this year due to that one night in April when it went down to about zero. Killed the buds. I doubt the fishing line deters the bear when the corn ripens though. Maybe he’ll go to my next door neighbor’s corn instead which is much nicer than mine. What is really pissing me off are the rabbits that take one bite out of a strawberry and then move on to the next one. I’d be willing to share if they’d instead eat one entire strawberry rather than one bite each out of 4.

Not a lot of deer-car accidents around here. Not sure why as there are plenty of deer.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Unfortunately it is too hot here in Oklahoma for either garden or people. Early crops did well (onion, turnips, garlic, carrots, peas, lettuce, chard) and tomatoes were great until this past week. All is stagnant right now, baking in the blazing sun. We will replant fall crops near the end of August.

Also working toward setting up rain catchment from the roof. Not going to happen until it gets a tiny bit cooler. Don’t need to get heat stroke… Not raining much anyway at this point. But we want to be more self-sufficient on our little lot and not have to rely on city water.

As for wildlife, we are about 1.5 blocks from the woods and farmland. So far, no wildlife depredation, unless you count tomatoes with holes pecked deep by thirsty birds when we had no rain for a few weeks.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

It has been abnormally dry here too. We need a good steady 24 hour rain, maybe 2 or 3 inches to really soak in. Its been a bit on the hot side too. July is the hottest month of the year with an average high of 80 but it was a little warmer than that this year. One day hit 90. Above 80 and I start to melt.

We only get one growing season of about 4 months that you can count on to be frost-free so no second plantings here. Any given year can go longer than that but there’s no knowing when the last frost will be so most folks wait until late May to plant. Earlier than that may work out or it may not. A couple years ago we had light frosts in early June. That was a very rare event. The 1st frost generally comes in early Oct, though there is always a risk of it coming in late Sept. You can’t know so 4 months is what you can bank on and you plan accordingly.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Wildartist,

In case you haven’t seen it previously, and are interested in rainwater collection and storage ideas, here’s an article I posted several months back on the subject:

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/rainwater-collection-and-storage-system/#post-42909

If you need purification, I highly recommend the home made filtration system using the Black Berkey water filters. It can be made for about 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of purchasing a full Berkey unit. ALL of the water we drink or use for cooking, despite normally coming out of the city’s tap system, goes through just such a filter. Plans are at:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/homemadeberkeydaire.htm

I also highly recommend reviewing their updated warranty issues, as well as the list of unauthorized dealers:

https://www.berkeywater.com/warranty-info/

https://www.berkeywater.com/notice-of-unauthorized-dealers/

The “New Millenium Concepts” site that’s linked in the construction article above is the company that actually makes these, and there are a number of companies they authorize to sell for them, but a lot of companies (including Amazon dealers as well as many “patriot” type dealers) that they don’t, and won’t honor the warranties if purchased through them. Long story, but mostly legitimate, from what I have been able to determine after considerable discussion with them and one of the authorized dealers. I now prefer to deal ONLY with New Millenium Concepts for a variety of reasons, including excellent customer service and detailed answers to questions.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Oh ya the heat has been bad. The crab grass loves it. I too will be planting again in late August. More potatoes and beans. Yesterday I dug up another 50lbs of red potatoes. I have a planting from several weeks ago that is struggling due to the heat and dryness. The plants are about 4″ tall. My objective is to have mature plants at the end of October around the time of the first frost.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Thank you, Georgia Saint, for all the information. Will look into all of it and consider what is best for our situation. We already have a Big Berkey but have not used it yet. Also just purchased a 250 gallon used food-grade tote for storing water–formerly held castor oil and now have to clean it out. Has a large opening in the top (6″) and a spigot at the bottom. Slowly getting there…

BTW our little apple tree, planted last year, has 3 ripening apples. The other 2 blew off in an OK windstorm two weeks ago. A good start. We planted a Yellow Delicious since they are self-pollinating.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

https://farmbot.io/

what do you think?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

Namelus,

YES!

WE WANT ONE! LOL (but seriously!) :-)

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

As a friend from Louisiana said (more than once) “OoWee!” I’ll bet that farmbot can coax more food out of 2 Sq M than I can. Just the thing to build for next year!

Cry, "Treason!"

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I think I’m in love. I wouldn’t be saying no garden next year if I had one of these. I wonder how long before they scale it up into a large garden. I also wonder how it does with the weeding thing as concerns crabgrass.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

MB,

The Bible says there were giants in the land in the very early days of this earth. That was during a time when all sorts of bad stuff was happening. They managed to get rid of the giants and the dinosaurs, but crabgrass and cockroaches survived and always will until the end of time (probably somewhere before 2019 at the rate we’re going). ;-)

================
    We just got some really good sweet potatoes from the garden. They came from some organic sweet potatoes that we got at a local market several months ago, and we forgot about the last two of them (they’d sprouted very nicely, thanks to none of the suppression spray they put on most store-bought potatoes). We decided to cut them up and plant them, and see what happened. Three months later – this is some of what we got from just two forgotten potatoes. Don’t know what variety they were, but they taste remarkably similar despite the different colors (the same color differences existed in the two we forgot about). Ahhhhhh …. Some nice raw butter and I was in heaven with the first ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.