Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of carpedebass
    carpedebass
    Survivalist
    member3

Sorry for my absence. I’ve been taking security classes and was out of pocket for a few days. Thanks for the encouragement and assistance one and all.

74, I use an older model Troy Bilt rear tine tiller. It was my grandfather’s. In response to your questions, I know you said you didn’t need an answer but I’m going to answer anyway.

On one side (the foreground in the pictures) I can loosen the soil down as deep as my tiller’s tines will reach. I think if I let it sit and dig, it would end up quite deep. One the other side it’s only down around 8 inches.

Watering will be done from a water well that has been in existence for well over 30 years and has never run dry. Even during extended droughts.

Humus? Sandy? I don’t think the soil is very sandy. I think it’s a high clay content, but I’m not sure. If you were to clump it up, it would remain clumped. Water sits for a little bit before sinking in.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

These pictures and discussions get me excited to start trying my hand at this when summer finally comes around. Great gardens, folks. Especially Freedom’s.

It’s a modern day Freedom garden!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Though I have lots of seeds set aside already, I placed a large order this week for seeds. Thinking about this year’s garden sort of lets me think winter will come to an end.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

WhiteKnight, I have been gardening for about 10 years now and have learned a lot. I now know what works in my area and what has a hard time growing. I did the large garden were I had about 400 lettuces and that year was great. Now I am growing in pots to see how much food I am able to grow this way so if I have to bring them in at night in a SHTF time I can do that. My test has shown that it can be done. Next year I will have 2X the pots so I will increase the production.

I also grow pineapple which grow on there own, have about 30 and every year they give there pineapples.

I think all of you should start small with three to four pots(large ones or the long ones) and test what grows best.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Got that down already Freedom, weeds grow the best!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Moringa tree grows like a weed the only problem is it doesn’t like the cool weather.

You can read on it here, http://www.ilovemoringa.com/moringaplants.html

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Carpedebass is it warm enough to plant yet?

On that tilling depth there could be a number of reasons one side of the garden tills deeper then the other. Soil compaction could be that one side never received as much amending over the course of time. The top soil could be thinner on that side as well.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

I really enjoy learning and getting inspiration from Geoff Lawton. This video about Urban Permaculture

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/03/07/urban-permaculture.aspx

Permaculture is an ecological design system for sustainability in all aspects of human endeavor. It teaches us how to design natural homes and abundant food production systems, regenerate degraded landscapes and ecosystems, develop ethical economies and communities, and much more.”

Profile photo of johnredcliff
    johnredcliff
    Survivalist
    member1

Hi,
    Not sure where to post this. I am planting a garden as well. But I can’t help thinking that in any kind of bad scenario all my crops are going to be long gone. I am not growing them behind a stone wall or in my attic, just a regular garden in my yard. I wonder if anyone knows or has any ideas how you are supposed to actually hang on to your crops in a ‘shtf’ situation? I assume anyone else who is hungry is going to be right on your corn or squash or whatever you have growing.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Good question. I’m interested to hear what others think too. My garden is several hundred feet from the house, and so I wouldn’t easily hear anyone out there at night, though it is not visible from the road.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Like most things there isn’t one answer.

MtB you might as well divy your stuff up now because you are part of the community, you’ll be expected to share your supplies for the greater good of everyone.

Johnredcliff,
    I wouldn’t grow tall crops for one thing. As a side issue corn unless planted in close together in a patch rather then in rows uses to much space for the amount of food produced my opinion.

Alot of crops can be mixed in with landscaping so it doesn’t look like a food plot. Presumably lawn mowing will cease so you can hide your garden behind the weeds.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, do you think folks will at least help with the weeding?

Profile photo of johnredcliff
    johnredcliff
    Survivalist
    member1

Thats a good point about everything being overgrown. So possibly things that are low to the ground would be a better bet. Maybe vines or root crops?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MtB, Depends on how persuasive you are…..

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

JohnRed,
    My thinking is I would let my crops grow about the same height as the weeds. As far as weeds go I might let a lot more of them stay in the garden so it’s not an attractive looking plot.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.