Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of carpedebass
    carpedebass
    Survivalist
    member3

Freedom, thanks for understanding.

Ron S, I did see the companion thing while doing some research today. I’ll have to delve into it a bit more to understand what to plant where. Here and I thought it was just going to be a matter of plopping some seeds in the ground. BAHAHA! There’s a lot to his stuff. But so far, I really enjoy it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Here are some images of my plants.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Here are some more,

The large tomatoes which are starting to grow.

The small cherry tomatoes, these grow all over the place, I get about a 30 a day or more.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Here is an image of the potato plants,

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Freedom: you have some beautiful looking plants Ron S

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you Ron S, I have been doing this type of planting for 6 years now so I have it down to a science. The tomatoes need a lot of water. Bugs are a problem with only the tomatoes.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

It probably isn’t a very smart way to go about gardening but when I start a new garden (such as I am this year), I will plant a bunch of things (including things I don’t normally eat) and then sit back to see what does well. Sort of learning through trial and error. I don’t over think it or fret when something doesn’t work. Of course this is a luxury that I can afford right now because I am not dependent upon the yield from the garden. Hopefully I have it all figured out before we come to a SHTF event. I hope the various fruiting trees and shrubs I’ve planted these past couple years are bearing fruit before then too. I also experiment a little with canning various foods, not worrying whether I like the end result or not but rather just learning the processes. For example, a couple years ago I took my recipe for making sweet pickles and applied it to yellow squash and green peppers. Why? Because I need to do something with the excess and all my plans assume no electricity which means freezing things is not on my list of options. I now know I can can yellow squash and green peppers. Last summer I ran an experiment with my new greenhouse, using passive means to exhaust excess heat (in support of my no electricity premise) and learned it got too hot. This year a shade cloth will go on it and we’ll see how that goes. Something I am going to do this year for the 1st time is save seeds and then plant them next year just to prove to myself that I can do it. If they don’t germinate next year I’ll know I did something wrong. For me at least, this is how I learn.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MtB,

If the plants are hybrids you will get one or the other of the parent plants from the seeds and not the plant you grew the first time. That can be ok, but sometimes disappointing as well.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB I have also experimented this year by growing almost everything in pot of different sizes. Reason is in the beginning of a SHTF time there will be many going after what you are growing so I plan to grow in pots so I can bring them in or put all of them on the second floor of the house. Since for the first year I will have all the food and water that I need for the family this is only extra food which can help with fresh food.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I know but come SHTF, better to have some seeds to sow that not, even if it isn’t quite the same. Learning how to save seeds is my goal. I actually have set aside quite a lot of purchased seeds, knowing that their germination rate may drop with time, but again some sprouting is better than having nothing to plant.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Heirloom seeds is the way to go. I have many saved in the cold. I buy new ones every two years but I still keep the old ones too.

Right now it is cheaper to grow the hybrids so I do for the mix lettuce. When you want to grow for new seeds you need to grow one type in each pot and keep them away for the others, then let them grow to the end were they give there seeds.

Profile photo of carpedebass
    carpedebass
    Survivalist
    member3

Freedom, I’m in awe of your green thumb. My grandfather would have liked you. Mountain, My grandfather rarely purchased seeds. He saved bulbs and seeds from one year to plant the next. Again, I wish I had paid more attention. I wish he was still here. *sniff*

I do recall helping him gather. Sometimes we’d go out and I’d see a huge okra pod or something and would try to pick it but he’d stop me and tell me not to pick that one because he was letting it go to seed.

Here’s the garden spot prior to tilling.

After breaking ground the first time.

And the second time, after tilling the opposite direction.

I’m not sure how much you can really tell by some crappy cell phone pictures, but there it is. I know it’s nothing to those who have more experience, but I’m proud so far and that’s what counts. =-)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Carpe, Always use the best plants for your own seeds. Your patch looks great.

Your pictures are making me wonder a few things.
    How deep are you able to loosen the soil?
    How deep is the top soil?
    What are your plans for watering?
    If you use a well has it ever gone dry?
    How much humus is in the soil or is it sandy?
    Does the soil clump when you squeeze a handful or does it remain loose?
    When you pour water on the ground will it make a puddle or does it sink right in and dissappear?

You don’t need to answer my questions for me, those are just some of the things I would observe if it were my own garden. BTW what kind of machine are you tilling with?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

carpedebass, The soil looks good. You have a lot of room to plant. Before planting draw a plan on a paper of what you will be planting and were. Bugs do not like the onions much so look into this. Also if you plan to save seeds from the bulbs this means there will be a small amount which you will let grow to the end of the plant life to get the bulbs full of seeds.

Also were you plant them is important. Cross pollination happens with lettuce, peppers(hot & sweet) an so no. So the ones that can cross pollinate and you want to save the seeds you may have to screen them in a screen box and then let them grow to the end.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

carpedebass, I buy many of my seeds from Heirloom Solutions, link below.

http://www.heirloomsolutions.com

I also buy from Southern Exposure at southernexposure.com and Grow Italian at growitalian.com.

These have been very good for me. If you have other sources for seeds please post.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.