Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’m posting this for the anyone that does not have a lot of personal hunting experience and might need to find additional food after a prolonged shtf period. The circumstances for hunting for everyone will most likely have changed dramatically whether you live in an urban, suburban or rural environment. No one can tell you now where to look for game after shtf to hunt, except that animals will be in areas of habitat that they enjoy now. The difference is after shtf animals will be in more hidden and difficult areas to find and hunt.

Selecting the right animal for food during a shtf scenario will likely be much different than a regular day out with friends shooting ducks from a blind or birding for pheasant. Expect game to become scarce and extremely wary from over pressure. All of the easy park/suburban raised deer and small game that have no fear will be gone in short order. Every locality will have retain some unique circumstances and opportunities to use to your advantage.

Animals that you might not normally put on your plate could become highly sought after animals like possum, groundhog & muskrat are common to most regions. These animals are common food for some cultures. If you are not familiar with every animal living in your vicinity you could profit by learning about the habitat and movement of each wildlife species in your area while there is no pressure on the animals or yourself. Determine what is the best method to take each species.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is an area that I need to study more. Look into the area outside of the city. You pointed out the hogs that are all over Florida, I have heard they even live in the mangroves. The smaller Florida deers, alligators, rabbits and many more wild animals in Florida that can be hunted when an SHTF.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    You might have to take animals close to the house for sometime. If you can go out to hunt in the wilder areas pick animals that are easy to move and process. A really big hog could be hard to get out of the woods. Plus younger animals generally taste better. Hard died sausages are a great way to handle meat storage and you can use animal parts that might not be great on the grill otherwise.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

One other species I have not seen mentioned in urban areas is dogs. Definitely not my first food choice but when your hungry your hungry. Just watch out for mange and rabies or any other signs of illness. My cousin was in Afghanistan and Iraq and said dogs were everywhere in the bombed out city.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking going on in prepper communities about hunting to survive . Most people I read are delusional if they think they are going to just bug out and live off the land , and that the land is going to be able to support them . Even in good or stable times , its not that simple or easy . Game animal populations are not as big as some people think they are . Thats why hunting seasons and regulations exist , its to make an attempt to manage properly animal populations to help insure that they will be around for future generations . That said , in SHTF , EVERYBODY that has a firearm is going to try to go out and get anything they can to fill their belly . During the great depression of the 1930s , entire populations of animals were wiped out in some areas , now take the population we have now and the total disregard for almost anything responsible that our population currently has for life in general …………………If thats your plan , you might want to rethink that . Look at it this way , take a look at farming , how much you actually have to plant to feed one person for one year , its an eye opener ………….then think about how nature works , its very random . You willing to depend on that ? ………….I’m not . Just Sayin

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I agree Tolik. I view hunting as a supplement to my preps. If the opportunity presents itself to take an animal I will but don’t waste more energy than the prey provides. Storing and growing your food definitely has a higher yield to exertion ratio than hunting.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,
    Good point, just what we are talking about. Knowledge before hand can sure save you a lot of effort or make your effort worth while.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is a link to setting Conibear traps. It is a mainstay for trappers. I think every state has a fur taker licence that would give you an opportunity to learn this skill.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Im glad you guys brought the subject up , because it does need to be talked about in the way that it is .

Failed hunter ….future raider = probable dead jackass .

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Traps have another good use as alarm systems. If you have ever had one get your fingers or other body parts you know how hard it is to be quiet. Scottish game wardens used to use larger versions to catch poachers in the 1800’s.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,

No different than a failed gardener/farmer or a failed anything else. If you don’t live in a supermarket warehouse chances are you will need to supplement your food supply from every available source. Of course if you live in a city, roof top gardening has certain limitations.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, Tolik and 1974, Hunting at the beginning of an SHTF will not happen, to many hunters and they will hunt the hunters that got luck an hunted something. After the first six months many will die because they didn’t store any food and were not able to hunt anything will die.

The setting of the traps is a great idea for around the house at night. This is something I will study and learn. I think that hunting will be hard since so many animals in the first three months will be wiped out.

But I thing here in Florida I will be going to the shore line after 8 to 12 months when my stored food is ending and go fishing which I am good at. My sister lives in Key West and finds no problem with an SHTF since she says there is so much fish there.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    Fishing, clams, lobsters, etc the bounty of the sea is a great plan.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974, Yes the lobsters in the keys is great and fishing is so easy in the keys in the mangroves. I am very good with a throw nets for bat to fish. I do see my self doing that. My kids are also very good at fishing.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I was born in tampa and lived in the area for 11 years. One of my favorite things about Florida was if a body of water had been there any length of time it probably had fish in it. I really miss the fishing in Florida.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.