Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I came here fully expecting freedom will have started a thread on ‘Bams latest move to normalize relations with Cuba. The media reports I’ve seen seem to indicate that most folks don’t like this move, but I have long wondered why we have maintained the stance we have with Cuba at the same time that China has “Most Favored Nation” status with us. China has been stealing our technology and intellectual property with impunity for years. We are under constant cyber attack from China. They have mapped our entire utility infrastructure as a prelude for WWIII. They have been building a blue water Navy and weapons systems to take out ours. If the issue with Cuba is human rights, I suspect China outpaces Cuba on that front too. I’ve not heard of Cuba harvesting organs from prisoners for transplants to their elites. I don’t get why Cuba seems to scare us while we make believe China is our buddy. China is the primary threat to the US, not Cuba.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MtB,
    I think the close proximity of Cuba has influenced the policy. I certainly don’t see them as a military threat. However now that relations will be normalized I expect a flood of Cubans coming to the US for free stuff just like the rest of the nations south of the border.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

If they’re not a military threat, I don’t see why we care that they’re only 90 miles from Florida. The real difference between China and Cuba is the Cubans can’t afford to buy any US Senators or Congressman.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, I was born in Cuba came when I was four years old, am now 57 and have never gone there. China was a big mistake for the U. S., look at what has happen since. They are slowly destroying America. Cuba is a lot smaller but we need not forget that they wanted the Russian nuclear weapons on the island, remember. Why do we need them for? Let them be isolated from the world. Castro is the reason why Venezuela is communist, they also help Nicaragua.
    At this time if we help there economy they will use that money to turn more governments in Central and South America Communist. They have been helping the Colombian rebels for over 20 years, funding them with arms and cash. I have family members in jail for over 30 years there just because they talked on the streets bad about the Castro government. We need to first stop doing business with dictators and communist.

Communist do not change, has it changed China? Not much, look at what has happen in Hong Kong the Chinese do not care about the democratic demonstrators. We have tried this in the middle east counties also and look what happens, they hate us and it has not changed them.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Massive new source of illegal immigration. The communist in the white house helping the little communists in Cuba. Its Xmas time. Obviously a well planned media operation to go along with the left- wing marches across the country. Probably a bunch of secret deals we haven’t heard about yet.
    We did get our spies back. Maybe they want a buyout and are ready to give up the crazy Castro ideology.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom, I hear what you are saying but if the US really cared about the dangers of communism we wouldn’t have gotten in bed with China in the manner we did. I also don’t think we really care about democracy so much either being it seems the only places we seem to focus on in that regard are the ones where the Titans of Wall Street have interests in that country’s rise or fall. The general public may care about democracy and human rights but for the folks at the top that make the decisions I think it is all about $. A few of our big boys will make money in Cuba, as will a few of their big boys, and maybe their big boys will sell out the interests of the other would be Castros in Central and South America now that they have a willing buyer. I’m kind of cynical here tonight.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“I’m kind of cynical here tonight.”
    It’s the right place to be.

I agree with Freedom. Whatever the reason this is being done now, it’s not for the good of the people here or in Cuba.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Its a deal. Russia gets Ukraine. The US gets Cuba in return.

Geotrade

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Have to agree with 74 , more latin immigrants ………….just what we need . Expect the crime rate in florida to spike as soon as they land .

Russia would be getting the better deal with Ukraine , than we ever will with another 3rd world bag of poop .

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Cuba has oil and gas reserves. surprise surprise. Third world bag of poop, you mean deadbeat Ukraine. The humans get sold with the real estate.

I have no idea if crime in Florida will increase. Cuba isn’t a US state. The drug smugglers will probably be happy. A better place to retire. Nice beaches, Scenic drives. I wouldn’t mind taking a vacation there.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

by LeoMcNeil

President Obama declared yesterday the United States would begin a new chapter with Cuba. Obama already began negotiating with Cuba regarding a prisoner swap among with other issues. For years Obama has told Congress he would keep them in the loop regarding Cuba. Predictably Congress had no idea the Obama administration was negotiating with the Communist dictatorship. Yesterday’s announcement came as a surprise to everyone. As with every other negotiation with a hostile foreign power, Obama got completely taken by the Cuban Communists. Obama negotiates from a position of American weakness because he doesn’t believe in American strength. Obama’s flirtations with Cuba are utterly foolish.

Earlier this year Cuba and Russia signed a mutual defense pact. Just last month Russia announced that it was sending long ranger bombers to Cuba. So of course it’s the perfect time to normalize relations with Cuba! Actually, it would be a good time to negotiate a normalization of relations with Cuba. However, not in the manner that Obama is negotiating. The only way the United States should agree to negotiate with Cuba is if they refuse to allow Russian military personnel and equipment in their country. That’s just to negotiate, if Cuba wants to normalize relations with the United States it will have to reduce or eliminate their relations with Russia. That’s how you negotiate with a state like Cuba. Instead Obama has given Cuba everything it wants in exchange for one prisoner.

Part of the problem here is that Obama negotiated with Cuba in secret. Our Cuban policy is half a century old. If we’re going to change our policy it deserves a national debate. Instead, Obama negotiated in secret because he knows the anti-Castro lobby would thwart a change in policy. It’s curious that the President waited until after the midterm elections to announce this. It’s equally as curious that he waited until this point in his presidency to try to change our diplomatic relations with Cuba. Obama avoided Cuba becoming a big part of either the recent mid-term election or the other two elections since he became President. The problem for him is that not only do the Republicans control the House beginning next year, they also hold an 8 seat majority in the Senate. All of his secret negotiations could come to naught if Congress refuses to fund an embassy in Havanna. An even bigger problem could be the confirmation of an ambassador to Cuba. Surely the President doesn’t imagine that will go over well in a Republican Senate.

The problem with negotiating in secret and leaving Congress out of the Cuba decision is that Congress will actually be necessary in order to make substantial changes in our Cuban relations. The American embargo is codified in law passed by Congress. Obviously the embargo is a major issue for the Cubans. President Obama can’t simply eliminate the embargo, it’s part of American law. This President is of course prone to ignore the law or try to rewrite the law via executive order or memorandums. However he cannot negotiate with Cuba an end to the embargo because while he might try to unilaterally suspend the embargo the next President can easily put it back in place. A suspension of the embargo for a year or two isn’t going to satisfy the Castro regime. By leaving Congress out of the initial negotiations, Obama has made it even more difficult to normalize relations with Cuba. Congress is going to be less likely to play along.

After half a century there’s nothing wrong with the United States reevaluating its diplomatic position with Cuba. It’s hardly surprising that a leftist like Obama is the one pushing this. However, even if it is Obama trying to start a debate on Cuba it’s a debate worth having. Obama left the country and Congress out of the debate, which is a major problem. While the Constitution gives the President the duty of deal with foreign powers, he still relies on Congress to fund embassies and policies and he still requires the Senate to confirm ambassadors. Worse, he negotiates from a place of extreme weakness. The United States has a shot to reduce Russian influence in the western hemisphere via Cuba. Instead of trying to normalize relations with Cuba based on that principle, the President ignores Russian military training in Cuba. Why should the United States prop up the Castro regime with Russian planes training in Cuba? Unfortunately our President is more interested in photo ops and historical legacies to be written half a century from now than he is in securing what’s best for the United States.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, Remember Cubans are from the Caribbean which means that Cubans are a mix culture like the U. S.

First remember Cuba was invaded by the English which is why blacks are there, also the English came with some other Europeans, from France, Italy. Then the English traded Cuba for Florida from Spain, that is the reason Cubans use Spanish and not English. So then the island got many Spaniards. With the Spaniards came some Chinese, Portuguese too. Along the way we also got a lot of Jews so there is a large population of Cuban Jews which many came to the U. S. and live with the Jews in Miami Beach.

So my point is when you say more Latins it is not the same as a South American or Central American country.
    But I do agree that the real problem is many that are there now where the ones that agreed with the communist ways and now know what that is so they would love to come over. The Cubans in Miami do not like them very much.

If you walked by me on the street you would not know I was born in Cuba, I look like many other Americans. I am more of a European descent.

Now I know when I see a Mexican, a South American or a Central American.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Obama again trying to do things like a dictator. He will need Congress which will be very hard on him because of all the laws Obama is breaking. Congress will have to approve this. I do not think that the Republicans want to handle this hot potato.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yep, looks like we are really making a difference already for the Cuban people.

“Just one day before President Obama announced sweeping changes that would allow potential American investment in Cuba, the Cuban government apparently had begun preparing itself by announcing new measures that would allow Cubans who work for foreign companies to keep only 8% of their salaries.”

“In other words, even if a foreign company has the means to pay more than a Cuban company, the worker will receive the same salary as if he were working for a Cuban company, and the government will pocket the rest.”

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2014/12/19/castro-to-pocket-92-of-worker-salaries-from-foreign-companies/

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I have to say that this is not news to me. What will happen there will be a very large black market where the Cuban people will buy and sell for cash under the table only. This has been happening for some time now. The Cuban government knows this and have arrested many but they have had a hard time controlling the black market.

I do not see much happening there till the Castro’s die. Raul Castro is 83 so he is getting there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.