Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

“Live and learn, or you don’t live long.” Michael “creature”

“this is the use of memory: for liberation — not less of love but expanding of love beyond desire, and so liberation from the future as well as the past.”~~ T.S. Eliot “little gidding” III The four quartets.

“To live through an impossible situation, you don’t need the reflexes of a grand prix driver, the muscles of Hercules, or the mind of an Einstein. You simply need to know what to do.” ~~ Anthony Greenback.

“If you go into a fight full of assumptions and relying on a “never-fail” move, you’re going to get creamed” ~~Animal

(thats you ladys, pedos and rapist enjoy a kick to the nads)

“this is why i feel most “self defense” courses are complete garbage, and that same attitude applies to most schools of the martial arts. They teach you just enough to get you killed in a real fight. What they teach you is the moves, not the spirit, or the awareness that will save you in actual combat.” ~~ Animal

“everything here is just another tool that you can use to help you survive. It is up to you to practice and train yourself in the use of them.” ~~Animal

“If you can’t be grateful for what you have recieved, be grateful for what you’ve escaped” Quote on a box of tea.

“When the opponent attempts to execute a move, frustrate it from the onset. Make whatever the opponent was trying to accomplish of no use…” ~~ Miyamoto Musashi Book of five rings.

“If you are going to hunt tigers, you must learn all you can about them. How they hunt, sleep, make love, everything. If you don’t you’re not hunting, you’re just walking in the woods.” ~~ Unknown

“Violence is the first option, and the last choice, of the competent.” ~~ Frank Gasperik

“Arjuna, action is far inferior to the discipline of understanding so seek refuge in understanding ~ Pitiful are men drawn by the fruits of action.”~~ Bhagavad Gita 2nd teaching

“Most problems resolve themselves into self-evident solutions if you have enough information that is reliable, and if you can eliminate emotion from the evaluation of it” ~~ Mel tappan

“System theory looks at the world in terms of the interrelatedness of all phenomena, and in this framework an integrated whole whos properties cannot be reduced to those of its parts is called system” ~~Fritjof Capra The tao of Physics

THINKING

“I realized too late that there were a few elements I had overlooked. I only had time to swear, close my eyes, and begin to roll out of the way. Thats when the fireball engulfed me. I laid there for a moment, wondering what had been blown off. I cracked my eye open and checked: after a moment, i opened my other eye. Much to my surprise, to say nothing of happiness, everything was right where nature had put it. My beard was a little crinkly and scorched, but that was it.

What i have just told you is a classical case of not thinking, in the sense of strategy. I knew every damn factor that had led up to that exrrosion with the water heater, and yet i hadn;t put them all together in my head to realize what would happen. Instead I put them together in reality and almost blew my ass up.

The problem is that most people have not been taught to think. They’ve been yelled at for not thinking: but those doing the yelling haven’t taught them how one achieves this glorious state of intellect. This situation might be explained by the small fact that those doing the yelling, dont have a very good grasp of the subject themselves.

We in america have a great school system. Looking back at the way I was taught ( in california at least) its a wonder that i can put together a rational thought, much less write it down. They tried to teach me specifics about generalities, and generalities about specifics. WTF?

In Other words they wanted to teach me how to exactly formulate to the minute how long it would take to travel 360 miles at exactly 55mph (with only the faintest nod to reality of adding in one twenty minute stop). About seven or so hours wasn’t good enough for the instructors. They also wanted to teach me the formula for metal fatigue when i was trying to get a screw loose. “I don’t care about the metal fatigue! I wanna know how to get this !@#%(&#@ screw loose so i can fix this thing! If metal fatigue comes into play I will replace the screw! (as you can tell i was really impressed by what was being passed off for school.)

What you end up with these techniques of teaching is a division of people…

>>>>>>

There are two terms that my engineer friends have taught me that I’d Like to share with you. The first is S.W.A.G. which stands for “scientific wild ass guess”. In other words, it consists of ” i know these factors: I dont know these. Knowing I don’t know some factors, I am still going to make a guess. I am not married to the decision, I am just heading towards the answer.

Along the path i may discover other factors which will entirely change my direction. Thus I am going to keep my eyes open for new information that may help me get there. . These are guys who put rockets and huge machines into space, begining with guesses, they later substantiate!

The other term is “wicked problem.” A wicked problem is a problem where there is no right or wrong answer. There are several answers; some may be better than others.

There is no wrong answer to a wicked problem.

“If you tell the men to be at a certain place at a certain time, but you don’t tell them how to get there, you will be amazed at what they come up with to get there. ” ~~ General George Patton.

Knowledge is having data in your gourd. Thinking is putting together the facts in a way that is helpful to you.

Try to look at things from other perspectives. Instead of looking at the gas tank from the standpoint of light, stop for a minute and look at it from the standpoint of excrosions.

Another way to help yourself think, is to imagine what could possibly go wrong. Not long ago, I watched as a pair of girls were rescued from snowbound mountains in Arizona. They had been there five days and were nearly dead. Their car had broken down. Now with a little visualization, they could have been a whole lot better off.

>>>>>

C.Y.A. Cover your ass. If you think of what can go wrong and figure options from there, you can save yourself a heap of grief. If something does go wrong, you have something else you can do.

I always make it a habit to have in my car food for a week.

>>>>

I grew up in an area where gangs, while not exactly ruling the streets, were serious factor to contend with if you wanted to grow up. Well, I had the misfortune to cross one of these charming little glee clubs. It was over something trivial; I slept with one of “their” women, or outmaneuvered one of them in a rug deal that he was intending to rip me off in, something like that. Or maybe it was that they tried to kill me and i ripped one of their members testicles off with a maimer. I really don’t remember, but whatever it was, it was enough to get them slightly pissed at me. (KOS giggles here). Slightly pissed off in venice, california back then meant you where heading toward dead. The thing about it was, while i never really expected to make it past twenty one, i was only eighteen at the time and not quite ready to go.

So here was the problem; my hormones were not about to let me get killed off yet, but at the same time, i was on the hit list of a fringe group of the worst collection of white trash in venice. (recently i saw one of the guys get hauled up for srabbing a (blank and blank, noooope), charming people just the sort you want to invite over to meet mother.) The bad point was that there were more of them than there were of me. The good point was, I had my training from such charming people as ex-streetfighters, and former green berets. That meant only one thing, one on one, they were mine. A collective “them” against me was not kosher by my standards; they thought it would be perfect.

What ensued was undoubtedly one of the most #$%^& periods of my life. For six months we played cat and mouse. They tried to catch me alone, while i tried to catch individual gang members alone. It was my job never to be put in a situation where i was alone without escape routes. OR OUT OF EASY ACCESS TO AN AUTHORITY FIGURE. It was their problem never to let me catch any one of them alone and out of sight of someone who could save their ass. (maggots….)

This is where i learned to think. Every move I had made might have ended up being a mistake that could have cost me my life. What i want you to do is pretend that you are in the shoes of 18 yo me. (NO! not young horny cocky). You are in the game of cat and mouse where you have to think about the possible effects of every move and position that you take. (or as KOS calls it, paranoia) For a week, pretend that you are being pursued by amatuers (but a lot of amateurs). How would you set it up where they would not be able to do anything in public? ((NOOOOOPE))

>>>>>>

This drill will teach you how to think about several different aspects of a situation; offense, active defense, situational possibilities, maneuvering, and most of all, how to apply specific tactics to general strategy.

I am alive today because I have learned these things while under fire. (just like selco). This drill will prevent you from having such an imminent test as i did. Think into several veins at once.

What is there, what is not there, how can this be used; if not now when?. who has the advantage now? is this a safe place? if so, why? If not, why not? Where are the exits? The entrances? Where can i place myself to see without being seen? THIS IS SERIOUS THINKING

If you can master it you will have what all the experts that i have ever known have.

(work in progress)

AWARENESS

Awareness is a critter that is sort of hard to pin down. A whole lot has been written about this particular subject. a lof of people pay it lip service, but very little practical application of awareness is taught. well, what is it? is it knowledge? feelings? emotions? thinking? what?

The answer is yes, all of those and much more. If i were to give a definition of awareness, it would be: the understanding of what is actually happening in your environment, both within yourself and outside, and how they affect each the other.

I could write a book on the subject of “world models” alone. I will sum it up by saying that people have these little things in their heads called world views. These “views” affect how they see and interact with the real world around them. Sound confusing? It doesnt have to be.

Lets have an example and some hair splitting for a moment. Something happens, and three people see the same even. yet their reactions to it all differ. in fact, their reactions differ so much that they all describe the same event entirely differently. Why?

What we have seen is an example of actuality vs. reality. the “actuality” is the fact that an event happened. the effects that it had on the observers are entirely dependent on their “reality” Sound subtle? it is.

A persons view of the world is dependent on their “model” of it– that means what they consider to be reality. Since the world is really too big to take in at once, we make pictures of what we think the world is; sort of like a map of an area. Problems arise, though, when people think that the map is the area, rather than a representation of the area. (now you may be wondering what this has to do with self defense, fighting and strategy. The answer is, a lot.) @#$^(ing with someones model, or accidentally treading on some portion of it, can and will get you killed. (KOS runs hides)

Self defense is much, much more than being able to fight. If you do not think so, go out and just learn jeet kune do. I’ll see you at your funeral. Self defense is constantly blending many different aspects of life. It is the art of continuous kinetic balance. It is understanding your fellow human being as well as you understand yourself. (NoThighsElf) It is knowing how your opponent thinks and weighing possibilities in your head. It is understanding that your opponent doesnt think hes a bad guy in his own eyes, and niether do you. If thats the case, why are you fighting each other? You say, “because he attacked me.” Are you accepting the responsibility that you might have done something to irritate this person. (love you all KOS) You may have made a major faux pas in the world model that he operates in. bad news, kids; ignorance is no excuse as far as most people are concerned. are you aware of his model? do you know what the outcome of your actions will be? (KOS).

Let me give you an example. You may think that the hells angels are a group of repressed homosexuals with inferiority complexes (STFU SOUTH PARK YOUR GONN HURT PPL) who try to compensate with massive phallic symbols. You may also be under the delusion that individually they are cowards. (Animal ~~great stupid and wrong, but great. By the way would you leave me your stereo?) Let’s say that you get into an altercation with one. It was an honest mistake; you didn’t see his bike and you ran it over. He’s furious but since you k now how to fight you aren’t about to be intimidated. Since you are sure this hoodlum scum is nothing more than a repressed homosexual, cowardly bully, your not afraid to fight him. But you aren';t aware of one small factor… the angels world model is that if you fight one angel… you fight them all. This is a case of your lack of actual knowledge while relying on your assumed reality, putting you in the hospital for three weeks. Stompings are bad. By clinging to your world model to the exclusion of actuality (I.E. other world models) youve gotten yourself stomped. (ghost me mofo) you where righteous, but you wheren’t right.

Awareness is knowing that there are other world models existing right next to you, and that these models are neither right nor wrong.; they simply are there. If you know that reality is dependent on who’s experiencing it, you are more capable of seeing the actuality of the situation.

How are your actions affecting the other guys model? Right or wrong is entirely academic when that guy swings at you. Does his model include blind shots? Is he actually not interested in fighting? but your actions are threatening him? Does he feel that he has no option but to fight? Is he looking for a fight? Do you know the actuality of his model, or are you just assuming.

The most common mistake that is made about other peoples models is using your own “ruler” to measure it. By this i mean that many people assume that the same significance is attached to a certain event in other models as in their own. Nothing could be farther from the truth. If the same significance was attached, it would be the same model. Often, identity is intermingled with the model. Someone isn’t a person, and then a marine. They are first and foremost, a marine! If the person who you are dealing with has the sort of model that his identity is involved with, you could be making a tactical error by assuming that he will view things in the same light as you do.

As an example: i once got a guy out of a jam with a local pimp. It wasn’t over a hooker, in case your wondering. It was howver, in front of several that belonged to the pimp. Anyway, i had pulled the guy out of it and we went into work (we worked together. He couldn’t understand what was going on, and said something to the effect of, “i don’t care if he is a pump! how he makes his money is his own business!” I had to explain to him that being a pimp wasn’t a nine to five job like ours was. It was a lifestyle, and things like backing down from some guy over such a minor thing as a fight can seriously undermine that lifestyle. If the word got out that the pimp had backed down from nobody, that meant that he was weakening and contenders could take a shot at him. My co worker just sort of shook his head; he didnt believe that it was different than than a nine to five. (Animal~~ i just worked with the guy ok? i don’t take responsibility for his intelligence) he was attaching the same significance to being a pimp as he did to his own job.

You may see no problem about backing down, but if someone else has an operating model that does have that problem, it could get hairy. Offending someones “honor” can be lethal in certain circles (KOS)

You don’t think you did anything wrong, but he thinks you slighted his honor in front of witnesses.

(KOS~~ fingers need a break pardon the pun. reconsider violence *glare*)

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

“”Now those are examples of how models are expressed externally. What’s going on internally? why did what just happened irritate you? What assumptions that you had just got stomped on? was the affront intentional or purely accidental? “accidental being defined as not knowing what someone elses model is and unintentionally stepping on sore spots. Are you just tired and cranky? these are all part of being aware. I was once about to put some guy through a wall when i saw a look of confusion cross his face. Instead of hitting, i stopped and asked, “hey did you mean…?” The guy looked shocked and said no. He meant it. I had been getting bent over something i attached significance to and he didnt.

This part of awareness is a personal thing. there is no way that its full application can be taught. It is something that is organic within you. You can get ideas and tools from all over, but in the end it is you who will have to do the work of increasing your awareness of other peoples models.

There is another aspect of awareness– what things mean or could mean. Since you are now so busy watching other peoples models, you will begin to see patterns in behavior. You can begin to spot what is normal for a situation and what is abnormal. If you have a rough idea of what is involved in a mugging (Animal~~if you have questions, go to a cop bar and strike up a conversation) you can begin to spot key ingredients. For instance if someone steps out of the shadows on a dark, deserted street, looks at you, and then slips back into the shadows, you know something is amiss.

This aspect of awareness is what will save your butt when you begin to use it in the face of crime. The average american citizen needs to be kicked in the crotch before they notice something out of their model. The “bad guys” know this and rely on it heavily. Most people do not look past the end of their nose. You’ve seen bushes before, so instead of paying attention to them, you slip back into thinking about your boss yelling at you earlier in the day. Except, in these bushes that you didn’t pay any attention to, is a mugger. Surprise, your caught flatfooted. If all you had done was added another step to your thinking, you might have been saved. That little step would go like this.

“bushes. anything out of the ordinary about them?”
    Even a cursory scan might have turned something up, like say the crouching shadow with eyes.

By recognizing what was going to happen and/ or that something was out of the ordinary a few seconds before **** happens, (KOS~~ OIL *COUGH*), you can save your life. It doesn’t sound anywhere as easy as it is. You just need to add that little step. Begin by playing a game in your neighborhood. Look at a house and try to notice things that you haven;t noticed before (KOS~~ points at stick man video for training, and every single competitive video game) Try to notice things about people around you. Try simple things at first, like cloths, or the size of your favorite erogenous zone on other people. After a while, it will become fun.

The most important thing, is that you will begin to become more aware of what is going on around you. Like looks of interest from members of the opposite sex. that one came as a complete surprise to me, but i am not complaining (KOS~~ me either *points at paragon). “”

End quote *chuckle*
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    I want to thank animal in a deeply respectful way, and tho i have broken several rules and stepped on many world views, to which he would no doubt scold me for, i have no doubts that there are several people here or in the future who will find this enlightening.

Seething types could do me the honor of taking five days to really think about it, and please accept my sincere apologies for stepping on your world views. I have no choice but to go for the hard sell. time is short.

More to come, but i encourage you to grab the book if you can find it. Hes not popular *chuckle*.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

“TIMING

( Whats that bit about knowin when to walk away and when to run? ) ~~Animals friend, moments before they attempted to break the land speed record for retreats.

Timing is a little more involved than simply getting to class on time. In order to get the most out of timing, you need to have a grasp of the other concepts we’ve gone over. With good timing, you can call someone a #$%^ and they ‘ll laugh. If you say that to them in the same tones with bad timing, youll get stomped. Whats the difference?

Well, it has something to do with the fact that the world isn’t a static place. It is always changing. The oriental concept of yin and yang represents change. It isn’t stationary; its always revolving and moving. Like your balance, timing is a kinetic thing. Because of this, something that is appropriate one time won’t be so later, or sooner.

In combat, timing is two different things. One is the pattern (beat, meter; whatever term you understand) that a person uses. Most people have a pattern, and it can be used to your advantage. Timing, in combat, is also knowing when to use something or not to as the case may be. This is very important.

Let’s look at the first definition of timing. Lets say that you spar with someone over a period of time. You will eventually come to know how this person moves. (~~KOS/Robert Greene Teach no one your tricks, or they will be used against you. KOS woopsy ;) ) It is an awareness of his body signals, or his patterns . By pattern , I mean you can set your clock by the fact that he always jabs three times. In fact, he might even have a rhythm –“one…two-three.” Thats his timing. You can relax with it. You know all about it. !!!!!The only problem is, one day he goes “one… two-three-four”!!!!! Youve fallen into his pattern so well, the fourth blow just walks right in. Ouch. With practice, however, you will learn how to use it to your advantage and your partners disadvantage.

The second type of timing is a little more difficult to explain. It consists of knowing what will have the most effect when delivered at the proper time. A nighty nite bunny rabbit punch, thrown at the very begining of a fight has little chance of landing if your opponent is fresh. On the other hand, if your opponent is so trashed that he can’t react fast enough, a Setup punch is a waste of time.

Have you ever been in a tug of war and your opponent suddenly lets go? As long as you both were pulling with equal force, you stayed in balance, but when the equalizing force was removed, you took a nosedive. Timing consists of knowing when to push, when to pull; when not to do anything, when to do something; when to resist, when not to.

With a proper sense of timing, you can, in a sense, get in a pushing match, slowly move over to the cliff, and then step aside. If you meet no resistance, you can keep your b alance by not pushing too hard. Most people don’t realize this, go charging forward, and end up flying off the cliff.

Timing therefore, is knowing that, in the end, you can get things accomplished by doing something, or in other cases by doing nothing. Timing is also a case of knowing when to do something. if you were to pull at a rock on a mountain side during winter, nothing might happen due to the ice binding everything together. but if you were to pull that same rock in the spring, when everything is soaked by the melting snow, you might get an avalanch; in the summer, a rock slide. Timing consists of balancing factors that are always changing, and consists of b alancing factors that are always changing, and applying action (or inaction) at the optimum moment for the greatest results.

Theres a great game to teach timing. Take two blocks — one foot square by, say, three inches high– and about twenty feet of rope. Set the blocks about three feet apart and divvy up the rope so its equal. Now you get on one block and have someone else get on the other. The object of the game is to get your opponent to fall off the block or lose the rope. Its a tug of war with brains, not brawn. If they pull too hard, let go; they fall. If they don’t pull hard enough, you either drag the rope out of their hands or pull them off the block. Try it; its a hoot.

LUCK

God loves fools and children, and I ‘ain’t a child no more. That leaves only one option~~ Animal

Years ago I knew a man by the name of “lucky” He really did deserve that name, too. Someone had decided to remove him from existence via two or three goons with machine guns. Well, lucky had just settled down on the toilet and lit a joint when they began to blast through his front door. This was not a professional job; they blew his hotel room away and didn’t check to see if they’d got him. With his pants around his knees, he flattened himself against the wall and had his sawed off shotgun pointing to the entry way. Well, they beat feet, and he was left to clean up. All of the bullets missed him and utterly sloughed his room. What pissed him off the most was he got evicted for that incident. This is luck.

Luck is exactly what it is. Its dumb luck that a two by four just happens to be there when youre confronted by two punks. Who are we to complain? Its sheer chance that the mugger kicked a piece of garbage while he was sneaking up behind you. Look a gift horse in the mouth — who me? for good or bad, you have to play the cards dealt to you. Don’t even think about disregarding the X factor. (KOS~~ to the last breath). The best laid plans of mice and men etc… If you accept that luck is the wild card in the game, you won’t ever get fat and lazy. (KOS~~ fats still A – ok in my book)

As a matter of fact, the card bit is a good analogy. You can’t control what is dealt to you, but you can sure as $%^ try to improve it. Knowing the odds, knowing what to throw away, what to keep, (Bruce lee), etc.; all of these things can improve luck. If you know what youre doing, you can walk away a winner. So luck, in a sense, is something that you hdo have some control over. In fact, a large part of luck really has to do with timing as much as anything else. That means you know when to use the little things that life suddenly gives you. I once heard a great definition of luck ; Laboring Under Correct Knowledge. Keep your eyes open on this one, because real luck doesn’t come in big waves; it sort of trickles in. If you know how to use that constant trickle, you can do real well. So nnow that you accept that luck is a serious factor in self defence, we can get into the next step.

IMPROVISATION

“I looked at all of them and knew i was outflanked, out$%^&*, and outgunned.”
    “so whatcha do?”
    “I went over to the edge of the porch and took a piss.”
    “you what?”
    “Yep, and when I turned around I had my .45 and my dick pointing at them. ” ~~Animal and Step father.

There is no such thing as a designer fight. If you can improve your odds by adding a beer bottle to your arsenal, do it. Improvisation has come up with some of the best life saving tricks that i can remember. Anything can be used to your advantage. Let me tell you, I didn’t believe this until i had it used against me. I now laugh about the time that i got the snot beat out of me by a hair brush; I didn’t then. Then there was the time I threw a punch and it was caught in a pot. These things do happen. Improvisation teaches you to use what is there, while hoping something better comes along, like a cop. Yet as we all know, cops aren’t able to be everywhere at once, so you may just have to wing it on your own. That’s okay. Thats why i wrote this book; you can do it.

Improvisation consists of three things: situation, tools, and location. There might be more, but you can make them up as you go along.

Situation is who is involved, why they are involved, and is it good or bad if they are involved or not? Lets say you are about to get into a jam. Nothing actually has happened yet, its just some guy giving you the hard eye. Well, lo and behold, who should walk in except a group of your acquaintances. Oh boy, one or two of them are real knuckle draggers too. Go talk to them, be friendly, buy the first round, or whatever. This is improvisation. You see your friend about to get into it. Suddenly you are very drunk; you stagger up to them and slur to your friend that you need his help. You’re about to be sick and need to be helped outside. The opposing tough guy has a choice; he could buy it, or he can think its a scam and run the risk of getting puked on. I don’t care how tough you are, getting barfed on is a really uncool. (by the way, that is a rael good way to get through a crowd. Bug your eyes, look pale, and tell people you are going to be sick. Moses didn’t get such a fast parting as you will.

Do something out of the ordinary is another one of your best defenses. Go ape$%^& on the dude. Start screaming incoherently about his mothers poor taste in herbivores for sexual partners. Drool, bug your eyes, start quoting scriptures liberally laced with profanity while ripping off your cloths. Scream that he has turned into a tarantula. Anything! Just so long as he thinks you’re nuts.

I have something that i picked up a long time ago. All of my life i have been around animals (the four footed type). After watching critters for a while, I realized that they had a great way of communication when they didn’t want another being near them. They growl. I discovered cats understand when you communicate to them in this form. English sucks. One growl, however, can say; If they try to snap that piece of chicken off your plate while you get up to get the pepper, you will rip their whiskers off one at a time. This they understand.

I began to growl more and more often. Something annoys me, and if a sentence would take too long, I growl. Great way to get someone to suddenly remember that they have to go shampoo the cat. The thing about this is, it isn’t a bluff. When i do it, i mean it. In order for it to work you must mean it, too.

What i am saying is that out of the ordinary behavior is spookey to most people. (KOS *chuckle). If you start bleeding, wipe some of the blood on your hand and lick it off. Then, with a maniacal smile, look at whoever just hurt you and advance. They’ll get the message– its time to go.

I have a friend who was about to get jumped in a bathroom. He turned and pissed on one of the guys. While the guy was looking at his shoe in shock, my friend hit him and then blasted through the rest. Thats improvisation .

An important part of situational improvisation is the goals of your opponent(s). If they are going to jump you, for money or whatever, they don’t want attention. Do something that will allow you to get into an area of attention before you make a stand. Run into a crowd of people screaming “fire,” then spin around to face your attackers. You’ll have an audience, which is exactly what your attackers don’t want.

If however, someone is really gunning for you and is bound, bit, and determined to %^&* you up, having an audience may not be in your best interest. if its an area where brawling is the norm, then its different rules all together; an audience will cheer, drink beer, and enjoy the show. If there aren’t any witnesses, its just your word against his. (nough said)

>>>>>>>

By the way, here is another important point. I have met more than one bucket of scum in this world. These people are real sneak in one way; they will do all kinds of illegal, harassing %^&* to you, but the moment you retaliate in kind, they go screaming to the police. Your car was trashed and your house windows broken. You go seeking revenge, and they have you thrown into jail for assault. The trick?

>>>>>>>

Proper location is another example of using what is around to aid in your cause (surviving). If you are a distance fighter and you realize things are beginning to look bad, check your locale. Are you in an area where distance fighting won’t be that effective? If that is the case, what style does the guy squaring off against you look to be? Is he a distance fighter, too? Or is he an infighter? If he is a distance fighter, is he in a better position than you? Do you have a wall or table blocking you in one direction? Is it on his strong or weak side? (in other words, can he, with his stronger right side, keep you pinned against the wall to his left? Your stronger right side has a wall stopping it, while your weaker left side has to deal with whatever hes throwing. Incidently, this was a common design in castle stairs. Attackers would have the wall blocking their sword arm, while defenders had a full swing area.

More questions: is there more than one of them? this includes fighting one guy who has friends. While he may have started it, if he bgins to lose too badly, his friends might feel compelled to help him out. If so, are you in a place where you can be circled around and struck from behind? Remember the world model you may be facing. To a streetfighter, the marquis of queensberry is some fruit on the broadway. There are no gentlemen in a brawl, and that is why they are so dangerous. The first and only rule is survival.

This is also why so many formally trained black belts go down in a fight. They’re used to being on the mat, where movement is unrestricted and they don’t have to worry about tripping over trash cans. In an alley, you do. Aikido is a great style in the wide open, yet it relies on dodging blows. If you put a wall to one side so an aikido stylist can’t duck that way, it really fouls up his chances. The same can be said for most formal styles. Unless you spar in a hallway, if your caught in one, you won’t know what to do. This is a major weakness in most of the teaching of self defense. Therefore, i advise practicing in unconventional situations to teach you what to do if you can’t do a certain move. One of the best fencing “brawls” I was ever in was up and down a cramped stairway. (we used to spar about three steps shy of mutilation.)””

End quote *chuckle*

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Kos,

Good posts. I’m familiar with “Animal”… the book “Safe in the City” was one of my favorite reads back in the early 90’s… chock full of good stuff.

But, a bit of advice.

Smaller bites, bro. The WALL OF TEXT gets tedious. Break up your posts into smaller, easier to digest bites. Plus, folks need time to react to the information. A WALL OF TEXT has so much information, where do they start? Break it up some.

Still, props for posting anything from “Animal”… he’s arrogant, hot tempered and entirely too bold…

Reminds me of… me. :)

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of stingray
    stingray
    Survivalist
    member2

I second Malgus on both count’s. “Animal” has a web page with some good articles here: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/ . Like Selco, Animal has lived what he writes about, it’s not just opinion.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

sorry guys, i understand its hard on the eyes, very brief window to spit it out, lots 2 do. I’m sure animal jives with many here :D

I would love to shake the mans hand.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.