Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Am thinking of youand your family, looking Irma news. Be smart,be safe, be well. Blessingsto you all.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you tweva, I have been working all day today preparing for Irma. You know I have a lot of water and food, been doing that for a long time but you should see the grocery stores, wow! All gone, the lines for gas are two hours long. Not many are ready like I am. If Irma hits Miami we will be out of power for many weeks. Thank you for the blessings.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

It may have been missed in another thread, Freedom, but I too wish you the very best over the next week. We also have relatives down south of Ocala, and we’re concerned about them. But depending on whether the storm comes up the west coast or not and impacts around the panhandle, we could be in for a rough ride ourselves. Still, I doubt it will be what you all will experience. Our prayers are with you and everyone down there. I see that Puerto Rico will start getting hit tomorrow, and Florida as early as Friday, and everyone else in between those two points simply should not be forgotten – Haiti, Domican Republic, US Virgin Islands (where the Governor ordered the confiscation of guns and ammunition), Cuba, and a lot of other small islands. This could, amazingly, be worse than Harvey. Stay safe! Vaya con Dios.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you GeorgiaSaint, No matter what side we get the power will go down and we will get a lot of wind and rain. I am as ready as I can get.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I presume you’ll lose power if for no other reason than they’ll have to take down Turkey Point prior to the hurricane even hitting, correct? From what I know, the diesel generators are only for the safety equipment, not re-starting the reactors during a hurricane. I can understand that, but that’s still a huge guaranteed outage for south Florida (and I presume much of the rest of the state even if there’s no major grid damage).

Again, our prayers and best wishes from Georgia Saint AND Mrs. Georgia Saint, not only for you, but for those stuck on your original homeland that have no way out even if they wanted to. I hope most if not all of your relatives are not still down there.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Your best bet, freedom, might be to BO to key west.. Ya i know, but six of one half a dozen of the other. You dont have much time, if i was there thats what i would do. Of course im expecting it to turn north sooner than most and 50/50 you only get very strong rain and wind.
    My wife looked into getting a flight to Miami on thursday. One was available. Lol
    got an extra bedroom. We’ll bring fold boats. :-)

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

One of my wife’s best friends from Maine just told her that her sister down on Marco Island couldn’t get a flight out. There were no tickets to be had and she’s afraid to try driving north on her own on account maybe she wouldn’t be able to get gas. She’ll ride it out in a waterfront condo if the storm comes there. Not a smart move I think.

I read last night that residents of Puerto Rico that tried getting their kids on a plane up to relatives in Connecticut couldn’t get tickets. All seats were being given over to tourists leaving.

This is all another reminder of how fragile the system is. There is no excess capacity for transportation or normal supply lines or much of anything else we just take for granted.

Good luck Freedom.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Right now there is NO gas in any gas stations, no water anywhere! Bread and can foods are all gone. This looks like the end times in the grocery stores and gas stations. Crazy. Well guys I have been ready for years, have all the supplies I need and gas. I am as ready as I can be. I live three blocks from my parents which are 85 and 88 years old. So I have been getting them ready.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Freedom just put the exclamation point on MountainBiker’s post. Wow. And this is America!!!

Some of us were talking about preparedness in church Sunday, and one person made the comment that they’d been involved a number of military moves over the years. She’s gotten some odd comments by many of the movers, though a few of them suddenly saw the light and began making plans for their own families. But one person said the couple was “selfish,” keeping all that food and water for themselves. What about everybody else? Another moving man said they were “nuts,” and finished by saying, “You’ll also need a gun, because your neighbors are going to try to take it from you.”

For all the well-off facade seems to portray about America, which is what most of our fellow citizens believe, we’re in horrendously poor shape as a nation to cope with multiple disasters, or a very widespread one. Earthquake swarms are continuing in eastern Idaho, and right next door as of yesterday, “Yellowstone is now the site of the largest earthquake swarm ever recorded with 2,357 quakes registered since June. The national park, regarded as one of the most beautiful in the world, sits atop a supervolcano that is recharging for eruption.” Lil Kim only needs to lob ONE reasonably decent sized EMP weapon over the US. And who knows what will happen with Irma bearing down, another one behind it, and another one forming in the Gulf of Mexico at the moment? Or how about a widespread, major series of terrorist attacks across the country, with a state of national emergency being declared, with all kinds of restrictions “for our safety?” The “what-ifs” could go on forever, but as we’re seeing with Harvey and Irma, at some point these things happen. We’re not healthy….

Best wishes and prayers, Freedom – especially for your mom and dad.

GS

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

By the way, Freedom (and others). There’s an app (Gas Buddy) for phones (also available on line for computers) that shows current prices for gas stations in a specific area. It currently shows where stations are out of gas or out of power, as well. I just got curious, and checked Miami: There are still stations with gas, as of 1-2 hours ago (latest reports), ranging from $2.55 at Costo on W. Flagler St. near 82nd Ave., up in to the $2.60s and above in various areas. As for Houston, there are MANY marked with no gas and/or no power icons, but there are still stations with gas as low as $2.06 and $2.08 in the Houston area as of an hour or two ago. Great little app to have on your phone for travel as well as emergency situations. You can subscribe and save on gas at certain stations, but there is no requirement to subscribe or give any personal information to simply download the app and use the basic price and availability functions, or to use it on the computer. ( http://www.gasbuddy.com )

GS

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well it is now turned west to Miami and up the state of Florida. I have tomorrow to do anything else. This is big!!

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Freedom, GeorgiaSaint, I hope you and yours will be okay during Irma, and the aftermath. Sorry to be so long out of communication. What was supposed to be a one-day trip back to SF, turned into a two-day marathon of travel hell. No matter, it’s done now.

When you’re able to report, and not just cope, I’d be especially interested to hear if the unprepared in your area, decided in any great numbers (or collectively) to forcibly prey on the prepared — not counting charity, and ordinary help.

Cry, "Treason!"

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

[DARN! Another post deleted just because I edited it shortly after posting it. This is getting old…. One more try.]

Thanks for the concern, LT. The BEST case scenario still has Irma at a Category 1 well after it gets into south Georgia. We remember Opal from 22 years ago all too well. Opal did considerable damage even well north of here in Atlanta (this is from that storm):

http://www.ajc.com/rf/image_md//Pub/p6/AJC/2015/10/07/Images/photos.medleyphoto.8244550.jpg?uuid=NqjxuyKyQBy-Z65CNRGEKw

I just checked Google Maps’ traffic option, and traffic all the way from south FL to up past Atlanta (north Georgia) on I-75 is already very heavily congested, and it’s only going to get worse through the weekend. Plus, I see that I-95 coming out of Savannah (now under a mandatory evacuation order) is almost dead stopped in places. Unfortunately, I have to brave BOTH rush hours tomorrow in Atlanta, and am not looking forward to it. Hopefully I’ll be going up early enough to miss many of the travelers, but it isn’t looking good. Getting back out in the afternoon will be awful I suspect, as normal rush hour begins on Friday afternoons up there around 2:00. But once we’re south of Atlanta heading home, we’ll be watching the incoming traffic on the other side and should be good. Then we’ll see what happens.

If that’s the most of my worries, I’ll be blessed. We’ve got relatives in central FL that elected not to come up this way, and we worry about everyone south of the GA line, at minimum, especially south Florida. Everyone needs to keep Freedom and that area in their prayers and send good “vibes” that way.

GS

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Freedom, your options are a bit limited now. How about sheltering in a something designed with mass. An old adobe church. Up evac to a high rise. Or an old fallout shelter in a public building built in the 40’s. An armory. Any cruise ships still in port. An old aircraft carrier. You never know, They are heavy and made of steel. I had a friend who said he was in one during the nam war during a cyclone and the middle of the ship had a rise and fall of over two feet. Talk about being sea sick. Neoprene diving suits if you have any. They should be calling this a tornado cane. The is so long lasting and perfectly stable its amazing. But over land its going to fall apart quick. Hope you took my previous recommendation and bought the mini uzi. Keep your ammo dry. :-)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Friends of mine from the Naples area made it out, leaving two days ago. No gas problems, everything still open then.

Freedom, Irma then Jose, you may have.more work coming up than you can handle. A great place to be.

Hope you and yours are doing well, as nasty as it may get we can only pray that you all come through unscathed..

A friend outside Houston had water right up to his front steps at the high point. Hoping that you are higher than that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.