Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

In a news release, AquaBounty CEO Ronald L. Stotish thanked Canadian scientists “carrying out their assessments diligently” and confirming the safety of the salmon.

And they aren’t even requiring special labeling to inform consumers that they’re buying GMO fish. The laws don’t require it. Arrrgggghhhh!

(But “science” has said it’s perfectly safe. Methinks I heard that one before ….)

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

A lake near me is stocked twice a year with Atlantic salmon. 5000 at a time 5-6 inches in size. Definitely a food reservoir experiment program going on here. A bunch of other species are stocked as well. Not gmo but it depends on where the state conservation department gets them. If they change to gmo fish they will have to start their research all over again. They have a lot of data but to suddenly change plans could screw up the whole lake ecology. I can’t see it happening.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Obscure little Vermont has a GMO labeling law going into effect July 1st, the 1st in the nation. For the non-native English speakers here GMO is Genetically Modified Organism, food that the industry giants have tampered with genetically to improve yield, resist pests etc. What amazes me is that Vermont has won the legal challenges by the food industry giants and their government allies. The GMO labeling foes have far greater resources that they brought to bear than VT has and yet we won the challenges. This is a classic David and Goliath tale. Just Monsanto alone has 3X higher revenue than the VT State budget. Then throw in the resource of the others and the pundits said VT could never win, yet we did.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Good thing I live in Maine , nothing but fresh caught around here …………….or you just go out and catch it yourself . In all honesty I love fishing , but not that crazy over fish as food anyway , I could take it or leave it . Even when we go to our favorite seafood place , she will get fish , I will get the huge plate of greasy fried clams .

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

MB, after the massive fight in California, I’m amazed that Vermont somehow got away with that. I wonder why Monsanto and others didn’t pour enough of their $billions into VT as well, pay off a few legislators or the governor, or just plain bully their way to victory over the voice of the people. Regardless, congratulations! That’s a foot in the door. I hope that gets publicity and rekindles the movement that I sensed had largely died after the California fight.
    [PAUSE]
    Before sending this, I went and did just a few minutes of research, and should have known – the movement has NOT died. The bought-and-paid-for media have not been covering the fight, so who’d know? In just minutes, thanks to your post, I learned about the “DARK Act” (Deny Americans the Right to Know) that was narrowly defeated in Congress, the QR code end run attempt around Vermont’s new law, and other fights that have barely been defeated. As it turns out, you guys have really been beat up in this fight! But why am I surprised? (Actually, I’m not, really. It’s all par for the course. If they can’t buy enough politicians, they’ll keep Americans in the dark by simply not publicizing ANY of the controversy so that the bandwagons remain largely empty.)

Thank you lil’ ol’ Vermont!

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

GS, maybe what happened is VT didn’t fit the standard corruption model. Being a VT State Representative or State Senator is not a fulltime job. They have to have jobs in the real world too to support themselves. They also don’t have personal staffs. If you email your Reps they are the ones who answer you. If you call, they are the ones who answer the phone. All of this combined keeps them close to their actual constituents, and perhaps more accountable than in high population States where the legislators are removed from their constituents.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Oh my! I honestly didn’t know any such members of Congress still existed! How fortunate you are, indeed. Our supposedly conservative congressman would occasionally do a robo-call town hall meeting that we could join by phone, and you may or may not get on to ask him a question, but could listen to everyone else’s. I did get on once and asked him a point blank question about Obamacare, after hearing he was supporting a bill to force all government employees onto the program. He responded, “Absolutely not!” Lied through his teeth in front of everybody – I learned days later that he’d already co-sponsored exactly such legislation with a Michigan representative. His staff even tried to deny it until I cited the bill and read his co-sponsorship to them over the phone, and then the songs and dances began. I’ve got no more hope for anything past the local level anymore – call my cynical and angry, and I’ll raise my hand in agreement.

And if I could handle the cold, I think VT would be a beautiful place to live out the rest of our lives. People like you and Whirlybird are truly fortunate to be so relatively isolated from the “real world” where you live. I’d include Maine in that, but with Kennebunkport having been invaded by the Bush Klan, I dunno (such a beautiful coastal area, too!).

GS

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

GS, I’m talking State govt, not Federal. Don’t discount Maine. All of Northern New England is a pretty special place.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Arrgh! Dumb! I read through that quickly, missed the “State” part, not to mention the obvious lack of logic that a U.S. senator or representative has to live in D.C. the majority of the time and couldn’t possibly do what you described – DUH! Thanks for the correction.

My grandparents used to take us up through New England when we were little, with our mother being a divorced single parent. I loved it up there. We even visited and stayed in Kennebunkport (LONG before anybody cared about the Bushes). I used to love the tide pools along that rocky coast, the beautiful green mountains and countryside in NH and VT, visiting the old original Orvis store (at least I think it was the original one – back in the 50s), the old Vermont Country Store (with its cracker barrel), etc. Just beautiful country that I even appreciated as a kid well before my teens. But then we were always visiting in the summer. I had no problem with winters in Michigan or NY back then, but age has changed this body considerably. I still hope to bring my “bride” (45 years) up one of these autumns – she really wants to see the colors in New England. I just don’t know how to time it (and afford lodging at that high-demand time).

GS

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.