Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

If you are forced out of where you were hoping was a secure location, what are you planning to do? How mamy realistic options do you have available? Assuming that you had all your gear ready to bug out, where do you go now that you are a refugee?

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

My comment here concerns what would be a long term/ongoing SHTF on a national scale, not a local/regional event for which help would be on the way within a few days. I know I should have a Plan B, but I don’t have anywhere to go. Pretty much all of my family & friends live in suburban type settings in various States. I am the best positioned of the lot. It is my place that others might come to. I have reconciled with myself that where I am is where I will have to make a go of it come what may. Also, while I’m in good shape for my age and could start trekking cross country if I had to, my wife would not be physically capable of doing so.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I guess this is a great question, I am starting my own topic here:

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/sub-suburban-bug-in-or-out-questions/

It’s my specifics, I also have elderly parents and they will be resistant to moving, probably.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Like MountainBiker where I am is where I will be although I do have a Plan B and a Plan C.Chuckle. But since Plan A still takes up much of my time…they aren’t as far along in being more fully realized. Plan B is to have another ‘bug out’ place on my property, away from the main dwelling, that can be used should the main dwelling be either taken over or damaged by natural causes. This is now 1/2 way finished this summer using a large, existing run-in as a base. Plan C is for the same, on a nearby friends land that is an even higher elevation, a bit more remote and generally more difficult normal access. That I have only succeeded in building a platform for a large tent, cleared an area for a small garden, a small concealed shed built into the hillside with a small cache of supplies and installed/made sure a mini-micro hydro in the stream will be operational if needed. At the moment I feel fortunate to say I could reach either place fairly quickly on foot, Plan C in about 1 hour. Hopefully, should the time come I could ride one of my horses to Plan C on a course I now know well and if fortune would continue to smile on me, pack the draft/cross with additional supplies. That’s all I got.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

RGR,
    We all are resistant to moving, but that’s the point my my question. I assume not everyone wants to have a last stand Alamo event. Like MTB commented, no place to go. I don’t have a specific location that I think will be a safe haven. I have a few ideas about what I will do depending on the shtf events. One is just to run and hide then come back to my original location when I feel it’s safe. If the wrong Nuke plants melt down then I gotta go and not come back. That brings up a whole different problem of detecting the problem before it’s to late given the conditions and how to avoid the particle streams.For me long term a seaside location offers the most wild food sources. Getting there and finding safety is an unknown.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Our group has caches all over this area. If the main location is over run then we move to location B or C etc. All are within walking distance of less than an hour. Some locations on the river and others in the woods. There is 1,750 acres here.
    Robin

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

this is where having contacts in your area would be of help connection via HAM and volunteer groups used for information/trade but in dire cases a fall back location.

with elderly i suggest a frank discussion of situations, as somethings are far worse to survive than to choose an easier way.

and choose first place wisely i know not that easy i had to look for years but you can find it

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

A third of our group are HAMS. Some are also first responders. Each have their own BOBs and EDC. A few, me included, also carry about a weeks worth of supplies in our cars. Everyone is a close friend of each other. This is how the group grew. I started talking to my friend and he talked to his friend and etc etc. Already kicked out 2 for running off at the mouth. A splinter group struck out on their own (no hard feelings. We will fall back to each other if needed.) No special needs anymore, my brother and his wife were the only candidates. Most of the group are at least late 50’s early 60’s.
    When SHTF we will roll up like a rug! From the town to a first location and then a third etc etc. This will be for the folks that do not get here before SHTF. There are no limits on when folks can show up. However, if they wait until after SHTF then they will find themselves walking the last few miles to get to the muster location. A few days after SHTF we will be dropping trees across the main roads into the area.
    In Selco’s course he talks about timing of a bug out. Lots of good info in that section and the rest of the course. Advise all to join.
    Robin

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I have backup location, and lot of small stashes in few directions. But if everything fails I will just try to do as best as I can. I am trying to keep open mind for any possibility.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

thx 74

I guess a good discussion with them will at least lay the groundwork.
    Better to do it now than to try and convince them “out of the blue”

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

NP RGR,
    Just hoping to stimulate some ideas for anyone that has not given it a thorough review. I think anyone that has followed the rural versus urban thread can appreciate the likelihood of being displaced no matter where you are in shtf.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Pretty consistent with everyone else. Present location is probably best I can do. Plan B is close, but only for a serious situation. Plan C is fallback that will take some time to get to, and should probably be Plan Z.

Bottom line, for me and mine we are staying put. Anyone who has seen the photos from WW II, where people were living in bombed out buildings, realizes that sometimes there is no Plan B. Was it comfortable or nice, no. But for many it was the will to survive that carried them through.

Selco has so eloquently described his challenges, but his will to survive carried him through. I guess that is my guiding principle. Sometimes you just got to do what you got to do!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.