Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

If you have food storage as in freeze dried food have you been cooking with it ..or ever tried..or just leave it until Shtf

For other…incl own canned, do you have it organized, make effort to keep it rotated?

Friend has one of those huge piles oh big cans…and has never tried to cook with it..or eaten it!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

My can foods do get used here, I do rotate them. I have done a study on expired can foods were have had 2 to 3 years passed expiration date and the food was fine and did not lose any taste at all. I have read a lot on this and can food can last many years passed the expiration dates with no problems.

I also have the long term can foods that last 25 to 30 years which I have not tried.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I am now canning and dehydrating. I am not at a stage to start tasting/rotating. Threw out the stuff the mice tasted!
    Robin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

From what I understand, canned food can last a very, very long time. So long as the can has not been breached – that is, air has gotten inside – then the food should still be edible. A test would be to press on the lid of the can with your thumb. If the can lid moves up and down or “pops”, then discard the can – it has spoiled. The taste will degrade over time, as will the vitamins and minerals, but it should stay edible for a very long time.

Read about one of the Antarctic expeditions. Ernest Shackelton’s expedition, I believe. They cached a bunch of canned food at McMurdo Station. This food was discovered not long ago, and it was as it was left 100 years ago – undisturbed. A can was selected and opened, its contents analyzed and it was found to be edible. It was then fed to a cat, who suffered no ill effects.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, Great info, I also have read many articles that say the same thing.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

It would seem like a good idea to double your supply of TP if you eat only freeze dry. But I only tried it for a week. Just me I guess.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

We will get big time into canning very soon. We have quite some extra produce from our garden (just harvested 210kg of Mangoes).

Right now we have big sealed food grade buckets with rice. We have them in different sizes to minimize how often we have to open them. So a smaller bucket is for what we eat on a regular basis and that is refilled from the bigger buckets.

My wife and me are not really into the idea that if there is a total collapse we try to keep living like we have to. I think it is unrealistic and money is spent much better in a different way. I also dont want to eat freeze dried food on a regular basis. It is pretty expensive and fresh food is better. Having some of it makes sense, but having more of it does not make sense for the scenario I prepare mostly for and that is a slow decline.

Because we live in a pretty rural area now part of our food preparations is networking with people around us. The good thing is that this is already very much established because all our neighbors have been doing this for centuries basically.

Need a couple of chicken neighbor XX has them. Need some pig poo as fertilizer go to YY. Need a certain fruit tree DD can get it for you….

We do have a rather big freezer (for European sizes of freezers, I know freezers in the US are usually much bigger) and our solar system keeps it going but this is of course nothing I count on in the long run.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I started this topic because I find it remarkable that so many people I have talked to, once they start or have collected/stored the food they feel they will need- 1) pay no attention to it and/or if they have dehydrated or freeze-dried food – they have not ever tried to really cook with it!

Last winter when we had so much snow it was a blessing to have had our deep pantry. With so much thought, time, planning and investment in not just $ but in labor (canning, dehydrating etc) this is an area I have very well organized and check/rotate/maintain on a regular basis.

There is skill involved in using storage food (not simply home canned/store cans) just like there are skills required to cook in cast iron, on a wood stove or over an open fire. Might be something to practice once a week or so for some people. Be surprised now rather than later.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Yeah I agree Tweva, it has many benefits.

For once we will save a lot of time going back and forth to shops (now they are more than an hour away from us anyway…) and it also saves money if you buy things in bulk that are on sale.

Another benefit is that you can live more healthy because you become more conscious about the amount of snacks / junk food you buy on a regular basis. Its so easy if to pick up a bag of chips or some chocolate again and again… buying them in bulk makes you consider it twice (at least that works for us).

One more thing that I believe is often overlooked as a great benefit for storing food is that you can create your own little recipe database. My wife really enjoys cooking for me but sometimes runs out of ideas or inspiration what she could do. Keeping track of some good food we like and having things around that we can cook those dishes anytime makes life more easy and everyone happy.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I am doing food rotation, I am eating that stuff actually.
    In war I ate lot of stuff that are clearly expired, some of that did not even had any markings on it, I ate it. Yea, several times I had stomach problems but I did not die from that.

All kind of weird stuff was coming in some period and trough the different channels in country, some as a international help, some as a smuggled garbage.

When you open the can without markings, so you do not have clue what is inside, then you smell it, and at the end if you are really hungry you just eat it.

We joked many times about “what we eating now?” topic.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

My father tells me about the can meats that he would get in Cuba that the government gave out to the people. The cans came from Russia. My father tells me that they called it dog food because it looked like dog food and even the dogs didn’t like it but they still had to eat it since there was nothing else to eat.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Most off my pots and pans are cast iron that I use daily. It is part of South African culture to have a “braai” – cook on open fire. I enjoy cooking in my cobb – it does not really make any smoke once its going. That may be a good thing one day.

I buy freeze dried food often. I only buy one and eat it first before buying more. You get meals, like bobotie, that is very tasty. We eat freeze dried food when we’re hiking. It is expensive. I would like to stock more.

I do not like canned food. I do the same before buying in bulk – try it first to see if we like it. I only stock up on food that we use often. Only buy good quality brands as well.

I think there is a silent war in the world. People are dying from cancer and other strange illnesses that I think can be prevented by simply eating fresh organic food. That said, it is still better to have any type off food than no food.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Jay to increase freezer size cheaply you can go to a freezer inter-modal container it runs off 24 volt batteries and all you need to do add a few solar panels and charge controller. for 5-10,000 you have a 20x8x8 foot freezer.
    Just get an refill kit for the ammonia hydroxide it uses as refrigerant.

the big cans of freeze dried food can be separated into smaller portions and resealed in mason jars way cheaper than the retort packaging and you can control portion size. Also buying as a business or as a buying club drops your price significantly. Dont buy from retail look for the suppliers in town that sell to the store “wholesaler” they give better deals at least 25% cheaper.

practice canning on wood stove it takes a bit of practice to get it just right lol.

as for the Tp thing… i have lots but have opted to equip each toilet with a shower handle to wash after, now you have choice if water plentiful and when water is not or you dont have tp. (well water supplied)

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

If you can find a middle eastern market around , they are good places for bulk spices . Asian markets are good places to look for bulk items also , cheaper than most places . This is where a good vacuum sealer comes into play .

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

My father tells me about the can meats that he would get in Cuba that the government gave out to the people. The cans came from Russia. My father tells me that they called it dog food because it looked like dog food and even the dogs didn’t like it but they still had to eat it since there was nothing else to eat.

:)
    Yes Freedom, many times we were like “Oh man, what is that inside, is it horse?” then other guy would said ” looks like some kind of sponge to me” and then someone would add “oh f..k, lets just eat it, whatever it is.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.