Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

There are floods here in wide region, some people drowned, other get caught in mudslides, thousands are displaced, no water, no electricity, no bottled water in stores and similar,so it is pretty dramatic situation.

I am trying to do my best in all this, but also I like to observe carefully how people react in situations like this, simply because you can learn a lot from how people react.

I have seen yesterday man carrying TV from house that is slowly going under the mud and water, maybe it is most important item to him?

Few things that stand for probably 90 % of population:

• No matter what you see with your own eyes trough the window, you still gonna believe to the man on TV
    • You will wait and see how „things will unfold“ and by that you will get into the situation of „no way out“ (get caught in the roofs of the houses etc.)
    • Very quickly people who want to make money on other folks misfortune will emerged ( bottled water where can be found is suddenly very expensive…)
    • Government response is joke
    • People very rare put their life and safety on first place, instead of that they look for their „valuables“ (furniture, home appliances, car etc.)

It is always the same, no matter what is about. There s gonna be people who are ready, and those who are not.
    At the end, it all comes to how you understand your priorities,how good you are prepared, and what you are capable to do.

*Edit by Jay: Some links

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/18/thousands-flee-floods-bosnia-serbia

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27454669

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/18/us-balkans-flood-idUSBREA4G03P20140518

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

There were floods in the north part of Florida last week too! I think people react well but if it last more then a week people change. The people that emerge to make money by selling water happened when I went though Hurricane Andrew. In a SHTF were it last a long time the first 2 weeks you may see people selling there water and food thinking that it will come back.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Selco,

No kidding, hey? I didn’t know your area of Europe was susceptible to flooding… Last year, my wife gave me daily updates about the flooding in Germany, etc, since we have family there. I remember it was so bad, where the water breached the levies, they brought in ships and sunk them in the breach to try and slow the water…

Your post is spot-on.. people do the strangest things when threatened with something like a flood or hurricane… some try to make money off of others misfortunes, some folks bug out and say “the hell with my stuff” (since stuff can be replaced), and some suffer from normalcy bias… it never happened to me so far, so it won’t now… those are mostly the folks stuck on rooftops, I think..

With hurricane season upon us, your post is very valuable…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Doesn’t sound all that good for you guys over there right now. Stay safe and keep dry! Hope you keep us posted.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Actually Malgus, we usually do not have floods like this now, it is biggest since they record that kind of things, so it pretty big surprise to everyone.

But on the other hand this things are always surprises for most of the folks, point of being ready is to avoid surprises.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Selco – prayers go out to you and yours over there and all the rest who are suffering.  I haven’t gotten through your full course yet, but I know that you’ve been preparing your BOL.  Did you have the chance to exercise a move to it or do you already live there full time now?  I’m going through the fires in San Diego county, CA right now, but luckily I haven’t had to evac yet.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of morning
    morning
    Medic
    rprepper

Weather is freaked out. Forecast has it we’re gonna have snow next week. End of May. Here in Portugal where we had 34ºC last week.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco,

Hopefully you and your family don’t experience a personal loss.  I live where it floods from time to time and the property damage is horrible.  Most of the time no one dies though.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks folks, I am doing good here, my BOL is ready.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Seems like he is finally offline. Didn’t see him online the whole day and yesterday he said he had water in his apartment and he put the computer higher up that it does not get wet. He was surprised he still had power and Internet.

Here are some links to the current situation:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/18/thousands-flee-floods-bosnia-serbia

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27454669

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/18/us-balkans-flood-idUSBREA4G03P20140518

*Edit: Got hold of him, he was just at his BOL. Power and Internet seems to be still working and he ll be online later.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, I hope you are OK! I will pray for you brother.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Will be praying for Bosnia and Serbia.. : (

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks folks, things are getting little bit better here, still it gonna take some time.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Good to hear you are OK!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

And some update what make sense to have stored for the possible flood problems. I just witnessing shortage of these items, and price is going up.
    Most of these items we store anyway, but still…

• shovels
    • disposable masks, and gloves
    • boots (fishing boots, rubber)
    • hand sanitizers, soaps
    • candles, batteries
    • FM radios
    • mosquito repellent, nets,
    • canned food
    • water (a lot)
    • tents and tarps
    • means to treat water
    • first aid
    • antibiotics and medicines to treat diarrhea and vomiting…

I saw some folks with small rubber boats earning the money by taking people some 200-300 meters. And I saw people taking strangers who lost everything in their homes, or giving food to the refugees from the flooded area, so everything is possible.
    But best thing is to be prepared, and not waiting for anyone help.

Lot of people left their homes (because landslides destroyed or threatening to destroy their homes) and sleeping in tents some 200 meters from homes.
    Thousands of dead animals are floating, or partially dig in mud after water go away, so everybody is waiting for diseases to come. Stench on those areas is unbearable.

And to be even worse, thousands of mines from the war, now because flood and landslides simply “moved” from the ground and change the place.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.