Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    flatlander
    flatlander
    Survivalist
    member2

More at Link: http://ageofdecadence.com/first-aid-kit/

It seems that a very hot topic among people I speak with is field medicine. To be specific: first aid kits and tourniquets. After finally getting tired of having to repeat my same spiel on the dangers of tourniquets improperly used and how first aid kits tend to have WAY too much stuff in them, I felt almost forced to put fingers to keyboard and make a post.

Fist off, I want to let everyone know that I am not an “armchair commando” when it comes to field medicine. I was a paramedic/EMT for 4 years and then joined the Navy, where I was a Hospital Corpsman for 9.5 years. Overall, I have almost 14 years of direct patient care in both field and hospital settings with 9 years being in a pre-hospital setting. I was ACLS, BTLS, ATLS, PALS, NALS, EMT Instructor, BLS Affiliate Faculty, Combat Lifesaver Instructor, the list goes on. In another words: I am not a trauma surgeon or a contributor to AMA journals on pre-hospital trauma treatments, but I have quite a bit of hands on experience and training.

This being said, I have seen a lot of problems with most “field” first aid kits being produced and sold today in addition to the severe lack of proper training given to people in their use. My opinion is that there is WAY to much emphasis based around the idea that people will be able to get to a hospital in a timely manner. A prime example of this is the overuse of the tourniquet. The tourniquet is an easy way to say, “Everything below this point will be chopped off and you better know a good prosthetics person.” The fact that all the “weekend commandos” now carry one and there are classes designed to promote tourniquet use absolutely drive me nuts. Having worked on ambulance in rural settings and done such things as pull people’s extremities out of heavy equipment, I have NEVER had to resort to a tourniquet. Between the proper use of the following techniques, I have been able to avoid contributing to a patient’s reason for amputation:

Direct Pressure
    Pressure Dressing
    Elevation
    Splinting as needed
    Constriction Bands NOT tourniquets
    Ice if available

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

What is an Israel Bandage?
    Robin

flatlander
    flatlander
    Survivalist
    member2
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Excellent information, thanks for sharing!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Flatlander, good info.

First aid kits are business, just like lot of things, so they are there to “make you feel better” for some folks.
    It is better to have few simple items with you but know very good how to use it, tourniquet is thing to use when everything else failed, when there is no other way to save life.

Most of the time direct pressure, and pressure bandaging works good, and you do not even need to have real medical items to do that, you can use what is available, of course I am not saying it is better to do it with dirty bandana and pieces of cloth, just example that knowledge counts more.

There is a feeling that lot of people will just at the first sign of bleeding pull tourniquet and apply it, just because they have it in their first aid kit, and it looks cool.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks for the info flatlander. Important stuff and even more important is how to use it (under stress). I keep Israel Bandages in our kits. Selco makes good point about keeping quality kits. Couple of good medical scissors a must too.

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

At http://www.cheaperthandirt.com, you can always get Israeli pressure bandages.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.