Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Lonewolf I think you aren’t alone in that! And, unfortunately, yes sheeple….Hard to remember when I was one. Some days I wish I could go back to having my head in the sand – LOL –

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I don’t think I want to go back to being so uninformed again.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of RedStone
    RedStone
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Like Bushrat, my wife is 7 years my senior. I have been cursed with Degenerative Disc Disease and she is 62 with several health issues also. Despite our physical drawbacks, we still make monkey **** out of 20 + year olds. We have burnt out young couples twice now. They lasted only 3 & 6 months on the homestead. Sad to see an older couple out work and have more willpower than those at prime age couples with no health issues. We deal with pain on a daily basis and it is getting harder to do the chores and leaves almost no way to do projects beyond day to day. The idea was to teach and train a young couple(s) in the hundreds of skills and endurance required to survive and maintain and grow a homestead. This was to be beneficial for everyone. With chores done in 1/2 time allows new projects to get done and more relaxation time. That did not even come close. We saved only 20% time off the chores for my wife and I and constantly having to poke and prod them to do their share. One couple was even planning how they were going to use my building supplies I had salvaged over many years. This put me in a warrior state of mind and started my orange alert plan in motion.
    So, we pretty much gave up on finding like minded and fellow survivalist. There a few Rambo warriors around (a danger to themselves and others), but can not work a real homesteader’s day.
    It may be said a group is the only way to survive SHTF. It may only be after the lazy and Rambo /psychos get killed off will that hold up. Those who remain after the waves of death and destruction, will be of tougher stock and be glad for safety and salvation from the mad max world.
    We have not yet closed the door ( but may do so very soon). But we are even more cautious now as the shoe is about to drop soon (before 2016 in all likelihood). This leave little time to waste on those who are not serious about life or continued living, during and after SHTF.
    So for those of us who can not be a group, do not despair. You will be amazed what 1-2 people can do with skills, creative problem solving and shear determination will accomplish.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I do agree that “the balloon will go up” fairly soon and we haven’t got long, I was only saying to my friend “John” (a fellow prepper) as much the other day, trouble is I thing he and I are the only ones who can see it, a lot of the others are only “playing” at being preppers or they are of the “armchair” variety.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I agree – I’m sorry I was kidding. But being ‘awake’ is a lot of extra work on some days

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

its a damn sight better than being oblivious to what is coming.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

RedStone – were you part of a young farmer sort of ‘program’ that you found these couples? Just curious. Read and been approached about doing something like that recently – sounded good. But my experience as an employer has made me skeptical.

Anyway, I feel exactly the same way about the strength, stamina, endurance, work ethic and sheer will (we won’t even mention the desire to be satisfied with a good days work doing one’s best). I don’t like to make generalizations about anyone and paint all with the same color brush, but unfortunately I haven’t met too many younger folk to sway my thoughts. I own a business. Since the late ’90’s it became increasingly difficult to even find a teenager that wants an after school job or would work on a weekend! Or, that parents encouraged to do so because they wanted their kids to have a childhood. No basic manners. No common sense at all. THAT is the rarest of commodities in my opinion. Coming to a job interview in your pajama bottoms you went to school in, dragging your boyfriend with you and texting as you mutter your name under your breath? Don’t bother sitting down – thanks! Really. Amazing. I am in my late 50’s and first of many chores yesterday was hauling 12- 50 lb bags of water system salt up then down a set of steps. I hire retirees – don’t even bother looking at teenagers applications. One college age girl however was and still is the exception to what I have found. Great parents.

If I didn’t need to stay close to the house for the last few days I wouldn’t have much time to be on the computer typing (excuse me its ‘keyboarding’ now – laugh – God I am becoming my mother! Chuckle.) Don’t watch TV.

Agree – sometimes ‘no help’ is way more productive and useful. Sorry to hear about the degenerative disc issue – at present, thankfully, I am still just dealing with painful hands/feet issues/surgery.

‘This leave little time to waste on those who are not serious about life or continued living, during and after SHTF.
    So for those of us who can not be a group, do not despair. You will be amazed what 1-2 people can do with skills, creative problem solving and shear determination will accomplish.’ – Totally agree.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Oh…truly!

Profile photo of RedStone
    RedStone
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Tweva, Sad to tell you the couples was our youngest daughter and her boyfriend the first time. Although she was raised to do your share. Her boyfriend was as useless as a bull with 2 ****. By the end of 3 months I was fed-up and sent him packing. I even paid for his plane ticket to be rid of him. Daughter agreed with this action plan, as she was tired of his BS also. The little ****** stolen my platinum wedding band as a thank-you. My daughter left to start anew in the city where there more guys to select from. We tried to explain to her that city boys usually make shitty country boys.
    8 years later, my daughter found a country boy in the city and got pregnant with twins. They really wanted to move back to the country to live and raise their girls there. My wife was thrilled, I was apprehensive, but agreed anyways (hoping I was wrong). And hard to resist my wife’s glee to be a hands on Grandma. Well to fast forward. He was a sorry excuse for a man (ie. 27 days to only split 8 cords versus 10 cords I cut and split in 10-14 days). And the only farm he was on prior, it was a pot farm.
    I have a strict rule about vices. No consuming drugs or booze during work hours. No illegal drugs on property. Simple enough ?
    They broke the dope rules three times and “YOOOUUURRR OUT ! ” I went to get some more tomato cages and when I got back. Daughter and twins father was sitting and smoking their pot and plotting their use of my stuff like I was no longer in the picture. This time told my wife they are to leave ASAP. and if this meant she would leave also, so be it. (not what I wanted to happen of course). My past and instincts told me of the dangers and still early enough to stop it now before it is too late. Making hard decisions fast once it is clear real danger lays ahead. My wife was upset with me. However, she knows when I go from ‘easy guy to get along with’ to ‘ Do Not **** With ME’. That means I see trouble ahead and do not have time to explain fully at the moment. She told my daughter to find somewhere else to live and to do it soon. They found a place about 25 miles away and we came to an understanding that they do not have what it takes to live rural. I also took my common-in -law son aside and warned him that if he should ever show up uninvited, that I will take care of the granddaughters but they are on their own. Am I a bastard ? Maybe I am.
    In nature’s law, the weak will die and the strong survive and protect their young with their life. That is where I stand today. If after a hard **** kicking from SHTF, I may allow them back (but not likely).
    Paint a tiger any color you want. It is still a tiger.
    There will be many relationships that appear okay today, but can go sour in SHTF environments. And some very hard calls will require swift decision and actions. Even if you are in a group,. Have your own back-up plans and for your eyes only cashees. Maybe someone will find your treasure 100 years after you pass on.
    Note: I do go a bit into details. This is for those who are living or have lived in similar situations to know they are not alone. My ways/actions are not a blueprint. I am by no means an expert and have a fair share of ****-ups in my lifetime and more to come.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

I have been very circumspect around people that I don’t have complete faith in. Like many of you, I watch and listen. Not interested in commandos. interested in survivors. Militias are not something I am interested in. As I’ve stated previously, I have identified two people on my street who could be counted on in a tough situation.

Met with some people who said they were like minded, unfortunately they weren’t.

With several extended family members on board, I am not part of a large group, but I am part of a committed group.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

I really want to form a group of other preppers, but haven’t been able to find many trustworthy individuals (see: The Governor from The Walking Dead for an example of who I am NOT looking for) in my area (Charleston, SC.)
    I am definitely wary of others and don’t trust anyone just because they act like a good person or are helpful at first. I think this is how many preppers will get killed after SHTF.
    Running around in camo with your jacked-up AR15 may look cool, but please stay away from me. I prefer logic. Lol.
    Hannah

vettom
    vettom
    Survivalist
    member2

I first belonged to a small group of preppers, and they were all pretty nice, had great ideas and would meet regularly and then it just fell apart, not sure why. Ok, so was invited to join another group, these were Christian based, great group, BUT. They seem to want to talk the talk and not walk the walk. They still meet, sorta like a social group, but I am far and above more prepared up than they are and they just don’t seem to be moving off 1st base, still. When the SHTF I am not sure how they will meet-up, stay in place or what but I cannot include them in my scenarios, due to distance for one and lack of general preparedness, IMHO. I cannot depend on their lack of planning so I still stay in touch but don’t discuss much with them about prepping now. I am being objective here, not judgmental as reality dictates the real world and what ought to be. Like my own family, they just think I am eccentric. Simply does not see what going on, and I think just tries to shut most of this out. I has gotten very problematic since I don’t want the friction, I just keep on clandestinely. I have several very close Christian friends and we have a lot in common and preparedness in a lot of areas. We are looking at holes to fill. We have interviewed a few people from time to time to see if they would be suitable to join up. So far, we have not found that the few would actually be genuine preppers of some serious degree. I look at my neighbors around me who are seemingly clueless, i hope not. I hope for them, it isn’t so and they are preparing, but I am not running a charity service either.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.