Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I picked this ugly ting up off Craigslist for $50 almost a year ago and FINALLY got the kids to help me carry the heavy SOB in this last weekend. Got the insulation today and finished getting it installed. Even the blower works!!! I am going to pick up one that runs off 12 volt so I can even run it if the power goes out.

I know it is ugly, but I don’t care….. It works and is in very good shape even past all the surface rust.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great find Sled. If you don’t mind stinking up the house once, BBQ Grill Paint could help cover up the rust. I love my woodstove, I think my oil furnace has come on about three times since I installed the wood stove.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Instead of grill paint, I was THINKING about coating it in lard and then let it season like a cast iron skillet or new charcoal grill. For the parts that don’t get hot enough I can use a heat gun. Not sure if it would be a good way to season it up or not.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Congrats! It is only the rust that is ugly. Get a coat of paint on it and it will look pretty good again. Then just like ammo, there is no such thing as having too much wood set aside. I’ve got 14 or 15 cords all neatly stacked.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ummmm. Bacon lol.
    I think that lard might pose a hazard to your dogs licking a hot stove. In the end paint will be a bit sharper looking, but the aroma of wood smoke and bacon would be fun.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I could use veggie oil, but bacon grease is just so much more “redneck.”

[attachment file=”bacon.jpg”]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think I found a new product to produce and market, Wood smoke & bacon air freshener.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Given the bacon aroma sled’s house will have, I think he’s trying to muzzie-proof it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Now that’s funny, but it may be a great marketing tool.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Given the bacon aroma sled’s house will have, I think he’s trying to muzzie-proof it.

Heh…

The diaper heads might not like it too much, but smells carry… pretty far. Skip 9 meals and you’ll be homing in on that bacon smell at 10 miles…

I’m with the others, sled – give it a rattle can paint job with engine paint and you’re good to hook… the sole reason it’s oogly is because of the rust.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.