Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I have my own feelings about the usefulness and viability of militias in the US but I am curious as to how others here feel about them.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think the founders wanted all of us to help to keep the governments in line and so we the people can keep out freedoms.

I am looking into them in Florida, but I am also looking into the Oath Keepers which are in every State and are growing to every County of each State.

I think I will become part of the Oath Keepers.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I assume you mean Militias, right?

The ‘Organized Militia’ is the national guard, correct? So therefore those who are NOT national guard are members of the ‘Un-organized Militia’, if they realize that or not, doesn’t matter.

I’m a firm believer of this un-organized militia, or minute-men (strange for a Canadian to say, I know, but I mean as an idea, not just for your case in the U.S.). Up here what was once the Militia are now known as the Army Reserves, but we also have what are called Canadian Rangers (they’re technically a sub-unit of the military) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers

Anyway, as I said, I like the idea of people being of “minute-men”. Plus it keeps away the MSM spin on the word militia.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I know what Oath Keepers is but I don’t know much about them. I thought it was for LE and military only.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Perhaps Spetsnaz will train them when the time comes .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Red,
    You are falling into a trap interpreting the National Guard as the militia. There was definitely no national guard at the time of the writing and adoption of the bill of rights. So construing the word militia to equal the national guard is a false argument because the concept did not exist. Militias were small local volunteer groups expected to provide their own arms. Hence the need for privately owned arms. The Continental Army was paid men from each state with arms provided by state coffers. Still not a national organization.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

They just didnt like the fact that the real state militias , were what formed the Confederate army , thats why they were able to field and deploy so quickly after secession . They also didnt like the fact that they could outfight the regular Union soldiers regularly .

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,
    A big factor that helped the southern states deploy was the fact that they were Preppers. They expected war to break out years before it actually occurred. Jefferson Davis was the Secretary of War under Millard Fillmore & James Buchanan the two presidents preceding Lincoln. During his 8 year tenure in this position he ordered arms and munitions moved from northern armories to the south. When war broke out Davis became president of the Confederate States of America.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Elijah,
    The best place to learn what was really in the minds of the founders is in the Federalist Papers.

The link below is to the paper written by James Madison. Starting at the 5th paragraph you will find your answers.

http://www.constitution.org/fed/federa46.htm

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The only refuge left for those who prophesy the downfall of the State governments is the visionary supposition that the federal government may previously accumulate a military force for the projects of ambition.

The reasonings contained in these papers must have been employed to little purpose indeed, if it could be necessary now to disprove the reality of this danger. That the people and the States should, for a sufficient period of time, elect an uninterupted succession of men ready to betray both; that the traitors should, throughout this period, uniformly and systematically pursue some fixed plan for the extension of the military establishment; that the governments and the people of the States should silently and patiently behold the gathering storm, and continue to supply the materials, until it should be prepared to burst on their own heads, must appear to every one more like the incoherent dreams of a delirious jealousy, or the misjudged exaggerations of a counterfeit zeal, than like the sober apprehensions of genuine patriotism.

Extravagant as the supposition is, let it however be made. Let a regular army, fully equal to the resources of the country, be formed; and let it be entirely at the devotion of the federal government; still it would not be going too far to say, that the State governments, with the people on their side, would be able to repel the danger.

The highest number to which, according to the best computation, a standing army can be carried in any country, does not exceed one hundredth part of the whole number of souls; or one twenty-fifth part of the number able to bear arms. This proportion would not yield, in the United States, an army of more than twenty-five or thirty thousand men. To these would be opposed a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands, officered by men chosen from among themselves, fighting for their common liberties, and united and conducted by governments possessing their affections and confidence.

It may well be doubted, whether a militia thus circumstanced could ever be conquered by such a proportion of regular troops. Those who are best acquainted with the last successful resistance of this country against the British arms, will be most inclined to deny the possibility of it. Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

And it is not certain, that with this aid alone they would not be able to shake off their yokes. But were the people to possess the additional advantages of local governments chosen by themselves, who could collect the national will and direct the national force, and of officers appointed out of the militia, by these governments, and attached both to them and to the militia, it may be affirmed with the greatest assurance, that the throne of every tyranny in Europe would be speedily overturned in spite of the legions which surround it.

Let us not insult the free and gallant citizens of America with the suspicion, that they would be less able to defend the rights of which they would be in actual possession, than the debased subjects of arbitrary power would be to rescue theirs from the hands of their oppressors. Let us rather no longer insult them with the supposition that they can ever reduce themselves to the necessity of making the experiment, by a blind and tame submission to the long train of insidious measures which must precede and produce it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, Thanks for posting this, many do not know this information.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    I am very pleased to help.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I feel that the Militia is absolutely necessary, especially in todays climate. I am however leary of them at the same time. I believe that some “militia” groups are no more than a few middle aged, hot headed, men who like to camp and play guns a few weekends a year. I fear that those types do not have the people’s best intrest at heart and are just looking for the opportunity to cause trouble. As with any group there are always bad apples that make everyone look bad.
    That being said I think as soon as the true SHTF those individuals would scatter or the true patriots would quickly put them in their place. My only other concern about joining a militia is the target it puts on your back. With our ever prying government we can rest assured they track membership closely. Selco has often said the best thing to do is not draw attention. I do not need a patch or membership to let me know what I believe and what I will fight for. When the time comes I know what I will do if faced with a threat.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Matt, I fully agree with you. Power corrupts and as Selco also experienced some groups that started with well intentions, ended up being pretty bad gangs. It is hard to draw the line but in general I think some sort of small organized militias could provide a lot of stability for an area once the law is gone. (If they stay on white / good side of the spectrum).

Joining a militia “officially” would bother me too. The NSA can easily filter their databases and find certain groups of people. Im under no illusion that if they want to target militias they can find members quickly.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.