Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

the cousin is ok, we are going to see them shortly in the new year, the sister in law is something else, retired social worker with an “attitude problem” and the proverbial ” pain in the backside”!! luckily she is hardly ever home, travels a lot.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

It seems that most people suffer from a failure of imagination when it comes to envisioning TEOTWAWKI. Those of us that do aren’t smarter or better, we are just wired differently and see the world differently. I don’t see myself turning away any family or friends that seek my help come a major SHTF scenario. There isn’t anyone in particular that I expect to come knocking but I will help as best I can those that do, especially young adults and those with young children. Now that I am past 60, they are the future, not me. Part of what drives me I suppose is the hope that if I am helping others, perhaps others will help my kids if they can’t make it to my place. Being 850 miles away my daughter & her family wouldn never be able to make it if whatever “it” is came on suddenly. For my son it is only a 100 mile journey from his home, but who knows where any of us might be when “it” happens. For example he is in Florida right now with his wife’s family visiting her grandmother. I myself am at my daughter’s place and so far away too. None of us can have fool proof plans that guarantee we’re all in the right place at the right time, and so I will help who I can and hope that somehow others do the same.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

You can not, perforce, make any other human think, believe or do…anything. That falls under the realm of the universal ideal of ‘free will’ which God gave each of his children. You can only do what you know and feel to be true for you..perhaps ‘set an example’…and think ahead, perhaps of loved ones welfare…that’s the answer in a nutshell as far as I’ve figured out life

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

MountainBik… don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me. I won’t tell anybody where you live. And besides your pet dobermans would probably tear apart any visitors along with your improvised booby traps. I especially liked the bear traps in the back yard. Never leaver home without setting a few of them… just for fun. lol

btw if you catch a wigger…. save the video. never let an opportunity go to waste as they say.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Not to worry Brulen, I don’t advertise my preps. My kids are the only ones I talk to about it, and also a prepper friend who lives over in the Adirondacks. I used to talk to my siblings about prepping in a general way but stopped doing that years ago when all it did was make me the butt of jokes at family get togethers. They all live too far away anyway. Other than hopefully my kids there really isn’t anyone that I expect to show up. My point is just that if I am in a position to save a few others I will.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

MountainBikr I’m one up on you. I banned all of our family from even coming in our house. We’re not the butt of their jokes anymore when they have to stay in motel rooms to visit the area. No more free room and board at our expense.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I’m not wasting my food on people that cant be bothered to prepare, what I have stored is for us not some one who spent all their spare money on gadgets, gizmo’s and foreign holidays with no thought of tomorrow.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I will help the one’s that also help me.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

apart from a couple of prepper friends, I don’t know anyone else that prepares, most British people haven’t got a clue.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think in the US there is a rising level of awareness, gun owners certainly are because there are still shortages of reloading components. Most gun owners have stocked up on ammo.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

My father has a wound on his leg that isn’t healing well, and they are leaving for 3 months. I helped him change the bandages on it. I happened to look in his cupboards in the garage, and to my surprise, he has started to put food away. He looked embarrassed when I asked about it and told me not to tell my mom…heh. They are in their 7os…The will have to have issues with water but at least he is figuring it out.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I’d like to describe my situation… which needs improving but I’m not sure what to do.

My father and older brother are about the only true allies I have in prepping. Mostly just my father. I have two brothers, and of course a mother. Recently, my mother and my girlfriend of 3 years have essentially stated that they do not like to hear about the world today, and really find prepping ‘upsetting’ and ‘doom ‘n gloom.’ So I can’t coordinate with them now! My strategy is to keep the prepping (my father agrees) extremely quiet and out of the way. It is very aggravating to me that I should have to hide the truth and play ‘pretend everything is fine and modern society is invincible and unchangeable.’ Problem is that I love my girlfriend (whom I have decided to marry, God willing) and my mother, so I will just have to deal with it.

The biggest issue? My girlfriend is BIG on family. And her family is big on family. So I imagine that when SHTF, she will want to stay with her family. So if I can’t convince her family to up and leave (they are anti-gun, citiot types I hate to say) then I’ll have to try to convince her to leave them. If that fails, I will have to leave my family and take my share of supplies, etc and try to lead them. What a headache situation!

The younger brother hasn’t done much preparing, and has increasingly shown signs of choosing denial. He is very smart with money, and therefore knows what must come soon, yet he ignores it now. I believe that if SHTF, he will go with his fiancee to die at her family’s house, as she does not like my family too much and we don’t like her. Sounds harsh, but as I said, I don’t like sugar coating things. He has not helped financially or physically with me and my Father’s efforts. I am heartbroken to admit that I have already made the difficult choice of leaving him behind willingly if he does not do as we say. But, there is nothing I can do.

The rest of my family? I have an uncle who, along with most of his family, are of the right cloth. I don’t know how far ‘down the rabbit hole’ they are, but they are certainly heading or way, mentally speaking. We are casually grooming them. They have farmland, farm skills, and one of my cousins is married to a real deal farmer! They are about an hour or so away, and may represent a new opportunity of cohesion.

My plan for the near future is to keep real quiet and only occasionally implant a thought. For example, that snowstorm in November showed how unbelievably fast stores empty. I mentioned this to my girl. Not sure if I got anywhere.

I don’t believe there’s a whole lot more I can do. I’m open to suggestions.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

I feel for you White Knight.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

there isn’t a lot any of us can do if other people are in denial. they wont change their minds(until after SHTF by which time it will be too late) and any thing we do to change their minds will only result in breeching our own OPSEC. there HAS to be a certain amount of “die off” following SHTF, I know my own country cannot feed 64 million people on its own resources, we can only feed about a quarter of that number and even then that’s only once the dust has settled and its safe to plant anything.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

I would help family, friends and neighbors that ask for assistance… like I do now. The gift economy is a very powerful force which I don’t understand… but I would give. (You never know what will come back in time.)

In a true SHFT scenario, having the ability to be the last to die seems like a dubious honor.

“Thus, the Norse society’s structures created a conflict between the short-term interests of those in power, and the long-term interests of the society as a whole. Much of what the chiefs and clergy valued proved eventually harmful to the society. Yet the society’s values were at the root of its strengths as well as of its weaknesses… Ultimately, though, the chiefs found themselves without followers. The last right that they obtained for themselves was the privilege of being the last to starve.”
    Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.