Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

lonewolf, back during WWII, the Brits demonstrated great spirit and perseverance in the face of adversity. Amongst the lessons learned was the need to be self sufficient with food as a nation. Following the war land use was regulated in an effort to avoid suburban sprawl that would eat into agricultural lands. An agricultural preservation professional friend of mine moved to the UK a few years ago and was dismayed that the UK was relaxing those laws but nonetheless the UK had put a lot of effort into preserving food production capabilities post-WWII. Do you see the Brits as still having that spirit and determination that saw them through WWII or has the post-war prosperity had folks grow soft, as has occurred in the US and elsewhere in the West to a great degree?

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

nope, the current population is minus most of the WW2 generation and has grown soft, the majority do not know where their food comes from, some don’t even know which animal, nor do they care, they have modern busy urban lives and have lost any connection to farming, nature or the countryside.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

My parents don’t see it coming. They say they that they lived through the depression and can take care of themselves. This is true, but they live in town. I said what are you going to do about Water? Mom says we have lots of coffee and juice. I said are you going to flush your toilets with juice? And they didn’t think that you need water to make coffee….sigh. I am prepping for them as well. I think my dad is catching on, he buys one extra can each time he goes to the store, and I looked in his garage cupboard and there is a LOT of canned foods.
    Everyone else states they are coming here. I tell them not without one year of food, and not without preplanning.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

tukie, just curious, but how far have you carried conversations with people who say they’ll come to your place? Has it gone into any detail as to whether they are in fact doing anything for themselves? You say you told then to not come without a year’s supply of food but was it in one ear and out the other?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I have 4 brothers and except for one I’ve pretty much had to put them out of my mind in terms of surviving shtf. I would never turn them away if they made it here, but I doubt that will happen. I don’t even talk to them about being prepared, they are so far off in left field.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

lonewolf, I believe that the population in the U. S. and Europe is minus most of the WW2 generation and has grown soft. You need to be careful who you tell about you preparing and that you are storing food and water. They will come in a SHTF time and do whatever it takes to get it from you.

tukie2, My parents are the same. They are saving a lot of food but not water. I am the one saving the water for them. Need to get a well if you can and a good water filter.

74, My sister is also to the left and lives in a lift wing zone (Key West). I also think if the SHTF hits I would not see her.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

Freedom: I tell no one about my stores, I trust no one.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

lonewolf, good. It is hard to know who to trust. Many here in the U. S. are preparing but I am not sure how many are preparing in other countries.

Do you know if there are a lot of preppers in Britain?

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

its hard to say, apart from the ones on the forums and I’ve met a few of them, preppers in Britain seem to be low key and hidden, I know a few people who are off gridders but not preppers and some of the homeless/travellers from my days in Glastonbury.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

Yes, I am the local prepping nutjob. The one’s who have known me for years know I have stuff and can do stuff…I have obvious animals and butcher. I give lots of meat , eggs and goat cheese away. They know, I have told them, but they say they can’t “afford” it, but they can afford cars, tvs, etc. I have a well and am 30 yards from a river. We are set up here. I have long term skills. I won’t turn someone away with nothing, but I won’t support someone who isn’t helping themselves…I have “packets” that will be given to people with nothing. They have a booklet on basic survival skills, matches, fish hooks and line, 72 hours worth of food, water, a small tarp, and basic 10 essentials, minus a knife. It doesn’t show what I have and encourage looting.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tukie2, you need to prepare for when the SHTF time all these people will come for food to you. If you are going to give them food you need to place rules, have them work on producing more food, on your garden, help with the water and help with protection from outsiders.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

We have no one else.

Profile photo of dogcop
    dogcop
    Survivalist
    member1

what we fear are leaches, including relatives. they will not lift a finger now, i have every confidence they would not in a SHTF scenario. We do have a small group of friends with worthwhile skills and would hope to hook up with a few others. Have tried approaching others (mostly family) with the need to prep for disasters and our middle daughter is finally starting to come around and buy more than 1 weeks worth of food at a time. will keep trying to educate!

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I don’t not have any immediate family left, I’ve got a married cousin who lives in a rented farm cottage about 25 miles away, my other cousin-her brother- lives in Australia, I have a half sister who lives near London. wife’s daughter and family live in an urban area 25 miles(1 hour by road each way on a good day)away, they are not preppers. sister in law lives in a small town 13 miles away and says if ever a serious event happens she will share with the neighbours!!!

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

That’s not a bad thing Lonewolf. I would cultivate the married cousin, and the sister in law….teach them

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.