Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

In areas where there are hurricanes like Florida I send them to the CDC for the 3 to 5 days of emergency preparedness this way they will get 3 to 5 days of food and water because they are not getting anything and will not have anything when the SHTF time. This will help a little and they will have food and water for one week.

Emergency Preparedness and Response from the CDC

http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/hurricanes/supplies.asp

Another great link to show them is http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/documents/emergency_kit.pdf

This will get them started without them really knowing that they are prepping in a small way.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I agree with this move, Freedom. Most sheeple will immediately listen to their government masters. They might actually do this, because it comes from a ‘legitimate source.’

And let’s face it: we all have friends and family that are sheeple. I know I do.

Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Great link, Freedom – this is definitely a frustration some of us have. I find myself hoping more and more that the power is knocked out for a significant period of time, long enough to get people to realize the importance of having at LEAST 3-5 days of supplies. A large part of the problem is that many states like mine have no real natural disaster fears. Talking to a friend or family member here in Michigan about a hurricane, earthquake or wildfire is almost a futile effort, because they refuse to believe it could occur. The mentality is “It never happened before, it won’t happen in the future either”. We all know there is always the possibility of severe weather (or any disaster, natural or man-made), but because the “perceived chance” of threat is so slight, it’s totally ignored by most of the people I’ve tried to talk to.

Michigan has a pretty good website as well, if anyone is interested:

http://www.michigan.gov/michiganprepares

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes WhiteKnight, and this will help us since they will get a little supplies for the beginning of the SHTF time. I have been doing this and they are buying small supplies so it works.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Amanda11 How about talking to them about the chemical spill that happen recently and that if that would happen then they would need 7 to 14 days of water storage and food. Still show them the hurricane CDC supply list and see what they tell you. Chemical spill can happen anywhere.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

I do not have close family that are sheeple, very fortunate for us.
    Dad is somewhat prepared, they had a power outage for around 48-72 hours, and he had to get a genny and hook it up for their refrigeration and cooling that summer. When I heard about it, it “sounded like” a week or so, because I heard it second hand. We moved back closer to them later that year, and I brought a better genny, Diesel, that I had purchased around the same time. We all have some fair food storage, and I have added to mom’s water stores. I have a fair amount of diesel fuel, and gas. We have a well also.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I am amazed that anyone has to be told to have 3 to 5 days with of food on hand. Do these people go to the grocery store every day? Maybe all their food comes from restaurants, be it eat in or take out? Accepting that these folks exist, then yes a small start is better than no start.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, here in the city I see in my block 90% eat out 4 to 5 times a week at restaurants. They do not have much stored because they do not cook. My wife and I love to cook and we do not like eating out much, maybe once every two to three weeks and that is only because of the kids ask us to go out to eat.

So you will find many with less the 3 days of food and no water. They only buy food to store when they see a hurricane coming our way.

undeRGRond That is good brother. You are lucky that all do save some food. You have a great unit. My father and mother store food too but on my wife side only her brother does. So a little problem there, I end up saving 200% more because you know what will happen when the SHTF, they all will come here.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

We don’t talk to our family anymore. Big fight over “everything”. No more embarassing questions. Our home security just improved 1000%.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

I hit them up with local scenarios and ask pertinent questions to see if they’ve thought about it. Usually the answer is “no”.

Brulen – I don’t know your family, but if I were you I’d be prepared for a “forgive and forget” scenario if the SHTF. Just knowing enough about human nature the chances are that they will show back up is probably higher than them staying mad and relying on themselves. Just sayin’.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen, I agree 100% with Novus Ordo on this. When a large SHTF happens and they do not have any food or water and are dieing do you really think they will not go to your house? For sure they are. Also no matter what has happen in the passed you will be faced with what will I do now. You are not going to shoot at them!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom, my daughter & her hubby do take out for most evening dinners, and more than a few lunches too, and they’re not into prepping, but they have enough food on hand to sustain themselves for at least those 3 to 5 days, and likely more than that.

Brulen, Novus Ordro & freedom are right. Come a major SHTF scenario, as soon as your relatives realize that govt.isn’t coming to the rescue, they’ll be heading to your place. The old adage “blood is thicker than water” comes to mind. Between now and then maybe the task is to think through how to manage the situation and make them useful. Most of my siblings took pleasure laughing about my prepping ways, so I dropped the subject altogether and figured they’re on their. None are local however and so the odds of them making it to my place are slim.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There’s a difference between 3-5 days of food and 3-5 days of shelf stable food that doesn’t need cooking.

As far as friends and family goes, there’s a plus when the closest family is 8 hours away. The chances of any making it here is less than slim.

Friends here are almost all more prepped than we are. Our recent move put us back to the beginning. In a lot of ways that’s actually a good thing, starting over with different views and goals.

Right now I’m looking at putting back double the food and water that’s needed for my family, for two reasons, first we would have twice the food/time to plan on and secondly just in case friends and family show up.

Profile photo of emjay
    emjay
    member2

My in laws and most of my family are close. My father in law and parents and one of my sisters live on the same street. (We have 30 acre blocks so a large part of the street is ‘ours’ so to speak) my father and sister are at variying stages of prepped my father is pretty full on and prepared to bug out if need be. My youngest sister and her husband are about 20 mins by car from us and are prepped, my bro in law plans on bugging out west (the opposite direction to us ;) ) were he knows the lay out ect.
    My father is prepped for us ‘kids’ to some degree. I am prepping for more than just ourselves in mind. But am expecting hubby to bring mother in law in if tshf. So I am expecting extras. I think though as soon as it is realised that things are bad most of our neighbours will work together. For the short term at least. I talk to some about prepping but not too many as I do not really want a horde of people arriving to get help. Thinking ‘oh I remember ‘she’ has prepped. I dont think we will have to much trouble. In the begining at least.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

most people in the UK store very little food maybe about 3-5 days worth-a week at the very most and a lot of food is thrown out once it gets to the “use by” date( I even saw a pack of potatoes with a use by date), so they wont last long once they’ve eaten that and the stores are empty. plus most houses these days are electric only, even if they have mains gas the controls are electric, no one seems to have any alternative heating, cooking or lighting(apart from a few smelly candles that are only dragged out at Christmas).

British Survivalist.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.