Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MidSouth Mitch
    MidSouth Mitch
    Survivalist
    member2

Yeah Buddy! I’m only 53, but I’ve spent the last 15 years either behind a windshield or a desk – sitting on my arse. I also have an arthritic right knee that two orthopedic surgeons have described as “torn-up” or “destroyed”, making it difficult to do a lot of walking and its very easy to injure. Net result: I’m about 40-50lbs overweight and my endurance & balance are poor.

The combination has really sapped my motivation, but the socio-economic signs that I’m seeing is helping to change that! I also have a 14-yo son and we’re learning Bushcrafting skills together- Its seemed to help the Bielski brothers and their partisan group in WW2.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MidSouth Mitch, I am 56 and have a son that is also 14. Just work on the pounds slowly. I was 240 lbs and now am 190 lbs but I did it in two years. It is better that way. We need to teach our son’s everything we can.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Some people confuse aging with being less willing to defend yourself, less able. It just isn’t so. Old people can be very dangerous because age is deceptive. Many people these days are healthy into their 90s and beyond. Your never to old to pull a trigger.

Well said Brulen. Man who is 25 years old looks and probably is healthier and more capable for some things. But again, experience can do a lot when it comes to survival situation.

Profile photo of tmaides
    tmaides
    Survivalist
    member1

I just turned 72 and I’m staying in shape by replacing those joints

that have worn out from skydiving and military parachuting plus general

craziness in my youth. Two hips, one knee and a total shoulder and I’m

just about good as new.  My eyes are perfect and I take many vitamins

for all around health.  I also exercise 3-4 times a week plus ride my bike

every chance i get. The bike will get me to my bug out location.

Keep healthy all.

Doc5606

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Never too late to get fit and stay healthy. Im 33 now and staying healthy is number one on my list of priorities. I had really bad times when I was simply weak because I was too much in front of the computer… the thing people have to realize is that with energy everything starts.

Without energy you are not motivated to get other things done and this ends up in a downward spiral. If you do a bit of exercise you dont need coffee and other uppers. You just have energy the whole day. Eating more healthy and lighter food also prevents you from getting tired after eating.

The proper care and feeding of humans is a whole science but with a bit of common sense, getting into more exercise and healthy eating habits step by step, is one of the best things every survivalist could and should do.

I stick mostly to a paleo diet, run and do bodyweight exercises and some stretching (our ancestors were actually really really flexible from all the manual work they did).

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

tmaides, That is great that you are exercising with the bike. The bike is a great way to get to your bug out location.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

tmaides – I am curious whether you take any specific vitamins for your eye health? My eyesight has always been perfect (would have made a great bombadier I was told by eye doctor – true) but it seems my arms are mysteriously growing a bit shorter now when I am reading! I’m 58

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

tmaides,
    72 and great eyes, that is astounding!!
    Jay,
    Our ancestors wore their bodies out early in age from all the work. Sometimes a documentary on a archaeology site will have a Paleontologist examining the bones (there is one on Vesuvius I can remember). When they find a whole skeleton they can determine the age, sex and amount of work they did. Usually the workers had arthritis or other joint damage.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,

tmaides might have a different answer for you but I-Caps are an eye vitamin, there is a specific formula for aging called “Areds Formula”

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks 1974 – will look for it!

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

When it comes to a fight I’d rather fight a young guy than old. My dad had a few sayings that were worth remembering. “To old to run, hurts too much to fight, I’ll just shoot you” and ” You may have youthand speed on me but jjust remember old men don’t fight fare.” A lot of the older folks today grew up in harder times and have a wealth of knowledge that they may have forgotten about.

Another thing to help with exercise is as simple as adding steps to your day. Some people are very busy and find it hard to make time to work out. Instead of driving to the mailbox walk. Put your cell on the other side of the room if you are in an office. You will be less tempted to text or other distractions and you will have to walk a little to answer the phone. Take stairs instead of the elevator. These extra steps add up at the end of a day and something is beter than nothing

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well, I think I get more than the average person my age exercise here on the farm and am pretty healthy. Although, as 1974 mentioned, I have joint issues from years of physical labor – most notable my hands (have had surgeries).

My thought in starting the thread was if anyone is specifically addressing it in the plans, doing something different, making something to make a task easier when older – haha – in case I am missing something myself I suppose. I totally agree that older people such as myself have knowledge to share ….and can stay healthy – and shoot! even when much older. That’s a given to me.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Back in the day what they use to make was more children…bit of Catch 22 in that one.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Our ancestors wore their bodies out early in age from all the work. Sometimes a documentary on a archaeology site will have a Paleontologist examining the bones (there is one on Vesuvius I can remember). When they find a whole skeleton they can determine the age, sex and amount of work they did. Usually the workers had arthritis or other joint damage.

I do all exercises in moderation of course. It is just important to move and not just sit around the whole day. Even if its just a little bit of exercise.

Regarding eyesight. A friend had great success with techniques described in this book. He practiced for about a year and does not wear glasses now and is doing fine. He still practices every day. I already bought the book and its in my reading queue but I didn’t have time to check it out yet.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Yes…I was a child ‘slave’ myself – LOL. No ‘allowance’ in our house. We had a long list of chores/musts in exchange for the privilege of living there. (Mine was all the ironing in the house of 6, waxing the floors, dusting the downstairs weekly, of course own room spotless/bed made every morning and on and on) We had/started side jobs later for spending money…mowing grass for neighbors/yard work, my brother and I had a paper route, he sold/I delivered his Fuller brush orders.Then I discovered horses…grooming/mucking stalls/clearing brush/jumps/trails…made more money…and then learned to ride….made more money exercising them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.