Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Was having a discussion yesterday with our monthly ‘community trail’ group as we continue clearing more trails around our little village perimeter for future SHTF use/plans about aging. Specifically one guy brought up the fact he wonders whether his planning and preparing is going to be of any use, what will happen to him and his wife/small group as they are all over 60 and getting older every day…so reallly what was the point? He would probably be to ‘beat up’ by then to implement any of his plans.

Of course the poor guy just had a knee replacement and recovering still from hip surgery last year, although you’d never know it by looking at him ride! This group is all within 10 yrs or so in age so it was an interesting discussion.

What are you doing/have you made allowances for if any for how aging in your plans for the future? Anything?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

My father is turning 84 and my mother is 81. They are saving and storing food. I tell them that they are very important for the plans of any type of SHTF. First they have sleep less then me so they are a great asset for look up and when something is happening they can get me up. They are a wealth of knowledge. They will help me do many thinks right because of there knowledge. I will do the same for my son which is learning.

The old are a very big asset in a SHTF. The young need to take care of them because they in turn will take care of the young.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The first and foremost part of my plan is to continue the proccess. I’m reminded everyday of my limitations and know if things get down to a foot race my chances of survival are slim.

I’m not prepping just for myself though. Just like teaching my children any other life skill, I need to instill in them these skills, and if I can provide a safe haven for the worst of the shtf, thats my plan.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I agree, it is continuing process, or it should be. Without that there is no too much sense of anything. While I am getting older, my physical abilities going down, it is normal, but definitely I know much more now then I knew 10 years ago.

For me it is about family and group, so I ll just pass on knowledge, just like I learned from older then me. I ll try to give my best in fields that I can give most.

It is life.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I wouldnt worry about it too much , I personally dont think SHTF is going to last all that long without someone gaining control and restoring some sense of order . A few years at most , even in a civil war situation . 5 at most , just my thoughts .

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well, I was thinking about this after I posted and ended up accepting a friend’s offer of a free little pony and cart. Not that I need something else to take care of/feed – but it’s a little pony and only 4 years old but has been trained/used to pull a small cart/wagon around for her grandkids which are now too big. I thought…hmmm…why not? I too am getting older and what a perfect thing to have to drag stuff about the place/in the garden/orchard if the ATV is too big or out of commission.

Already have issues with my hands and replaced door handles and openers with easy to operate ones requiring less grip. And have been using DeckOver to add anti-slip to different areas that tend to get slick when wet. (Taking a break now from doing more – stuff reeks terribly) I realized that many of the things I have been doing all along in my preps are geared to doing things the simplest, less physically demanding way – even if it takes a bit more work or a little bit more expense. I guess I was thinking sub-consciously I’ll be glad I did one day.

I’ve also put in ramps where they would be useful someday (and today as well) and been collecting crutches and other helpers (I know there will be lots of others that will be glad one day)

Most of the members of our group that end up here will be much younger than I am, so – I expect they will reap the benefit of my planning and I hope things will be easier on them. Knowledge I know will be something I can offer in several areas, mostly growing and preserving food; animal husbandry and the like – and I’m a pretty fair shot, and a better than average planner (I like to think)

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

If you can take care of it properly , like you said , why not ?  Dont let its small size fool you , I have seen pack goats on trails , thats 50 lbs of gear per animal that you dont have to move yourself .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

A Shetland pony and a cart seems like a cool thing to me. Like Tolik was saying, as a pack animal they can carry 150lbs easily. More nimble than a horse in tight spots as well.  Some have that stubborn thing going though.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

tweva, seems like you’re good planner and leveraging your experience will all go long ways. Best of luck.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

” And have been using DeckOver to add anti-slip to different areas that tend to get slick when wet.” Tweva, next time try using sand in the paint. Lay thick layer of paint and then spread thin handfuls of paint. I used this method on steps and porches with no problem and it lasts.

Robin

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Factoring in aging, not so much.

My injuries and limitations?  And how.

What once was simple now isn’t.

What once was light is a maximum.

I plan for a lot of things, hopefully none come to fruition.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Yep, factoring in both aging and bad health.  I guess I’m just stubborn and don’t plan on leaving this world until I have absolutely no choice.  The wife and I will probably be quickly overcome by any reasonably organized group of raiders,  but I intend to take as large an “honor guard” with me as I can.

And you never know,  someone may come along that really needs the stuff we’ve stored and it will save the life of their children.  You just never know.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Some people confuse aging with being less willing to defend yourself, less able. It just isn’t so. Old people can be very dangerous because age is deceptive. Many people these days are healthy into their 90s and beyond. Your never to old to pull a trigger. 

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Brulen:  I agree whole heartedly.  Puling the trigger and using to stout walking stick as a club will help carry the day.  Besides, I read that even “seasoned citizens” will develop more muscle and stamina if they can get themselves moving.  With the younger people in our small group ready to lend a hand, we will not have to do all the heavy lifting ourselves.

Like the idea of the pony and cart.  Also have access to a Model A pickup truck.  Anyone who has seen any of the older videos with the trucks driving in mud ruts up to their axles, will appreciate what they can do.

Profile photo of Blades
    Blades
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I may be old but my dog is young. Of course he is more of a lover than fighter so I am not sure how he would react. Hopefully he will buy me a few seconds by attacking or licking, either way works.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.