Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Matt76:

The Maroon Excursion?
    The guy who wrote up the article grabbed the wrong photo from his photo file.
    That Excursion was parked illegally on a military firing range.
    That’s what a 20mm cannon will do with standard ‘ball’ practice ammo.
    It looked like just another target to the pilot.

Addendum:
    I used to get reports like this regularly, but having put down the badge has slowed much of the intel flowing my way.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    If the grenades didn’t go off that is what they would look like. Maybe the HE was removed or something else made them duds.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

When it comes to obtaining the things that I need to survive, and to keep my family alive, I like to keep all options open for considering, just saying.

Everyone of us will come to position to choose what he will do in some situation, but just keep all options open for considering.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

If it was a 40mm that hit the maroon truck it was a shot gun load one with 27 pellets at extreme close range since specs are

For close range fighting two M79 rounds were developed during the Vietnam era. The first was a flechette or Bee Hive round which fired dozens of small darts at once. Later in the war this was replaced by the M576 buckshot round. Containing twenty-seven 00 buckshot, this round was devastating at close ranges. The pellets cast a cone of fire 98 feet (30 m) wide and 98 feet high and travel at 882 feet per second (269 mps). The round has no mechanical-type fuse. This round is olive drab with black markings.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76 , 74 I have said this before that the gangs in the cities are all part of the cartel and there weapons are military grade so the military will have there hands full if there is a collapse. Even Rural areas need to be on the lookout since they will take over some of the military gear and find a way to get to the food in the rural areas, and they are armed like no other except the military.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Selco,
    I definitely agree with you on keeping options open. It’s just that very few law abiding people in America have ever experienced a situation where the rule of law goes out the window. We have been very blessed so far to have not had a full on war on our soil since the civil war and the only other occurrences have been looting and rioting during natural disasters. Because most of society lives in a protected bubble environment they just don’t normally think outside of the rule of law.

The law says we can’t own rockets and missles or grenades so most people don’t buy them. A lot of people don’t even venture so far as to think of ways to improvise those kind of weapons. Our gov has done a fine job in demonizing that kind of thinking. It is sad to think how many people will mentally be unprepared for what is coming. It will cost them their lives.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

The 40mm HE round spin arms after 10 meters. It relies on the fusing and explosives to do damage, not velocity. I seriously doubt a 40mm dud round would have made a hole. They fly so slowly, you can watch them soar their lazy way all the way to the target. A dud would have bounced off or ricocheted, not made a hole.

A 20mm would have torn that vehicle in half. Some of the buildings at Fort Espinar were engaged by Apache helicopters during the whole Noriega thing. Just blasted the **** out of those buildings. The holes they made were enormous, and you could look all the way through the buildings lengthwise – looking through the same hole. These weren’t puny buildings – they’re multistory reinforced poured concrete.

Plus, a 20mm automatic cannon is a really big thing. It would have to have been vehicular mounted – a “technical”. Common in 3rd world countries, fighters mount HMG’s, mortars, recoil-less rifles on trucks. We call them “technicals”. No 20mm brass was found, nor were technicals mentioned in the brief. An automatic cannon makes a very distinct noise, and would have dominated the fight. Folks would tend to notice stuff like that. I doubt such a thing would be left out of an internal briefing…

I still think it was made by a shotgun round at close range… a rathole.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Malgus,
    Whirli said earlier the photo was a mistake. It was hit wth 20mm practice rounds on a military base when it was illegally parked on the firing range. Hmmmmm I wonder if that was covered by his insurance. I can almost hear the conversation.”LIKE A GOOD NEIGHBOR STATE FARM IS THERE!!!!!!!!!!

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

matt76,

Couple things.

Closest we came to an actual war – after the Civil War – was the Battle of Blair Mountain. Automatic weapons, aerial bombs, etc.. it’s a good read. Check it out.

Second thing is that prior to NFA34, the courts ruled that Americans were allowed to own – even encouraged to own – the same arms and weapons as the Infantryman. In 1776, this was a musket, bayonet, powder, shot, even a sword and Coehorn mortar. Grenades were not common at the time, but if one wanted to own such a thing, I doubt there would have been pushback. By 1880, it was a repeating rifle, a revolver, bayonet, even small mortars. By 1918, it was a Springfield rifle, a 1911, a BAR, bayonet, grenades, automatic weapons like the Thompson and tripod mounted HMG’s, small mortars, etc. (Edit: Almost forgot – by 1918, the Infantry were even given their own artillery. They were called “Infantry Guns”. These would also have been covered under the “arms of the Infantryman” rule.. even today, there are people who own such things. At incredible expense, but they are operational. See: Knob Creek Shoot on YouTube).

NFA34 was sold to the US public because of “gangsters” using automatic weapons during Prohibition (which, it can be argued, was the Government creating and fostering the criminal environment that the gangsters exploited). But Prohibition was over by the time NFA34 came around. It was challenged, and amazingly, SCOTUS agreed to hear the case even though only one side – the Government’s man – showed up. He, of course, lied his ass off. There was nobody to argue against NFA34 and tell the truth. And, since the court was packed with FDR cronies, they upheld NFA34. It’s been downhill ever since.

Such things should be legal to own, no taxes or paperwork or Federal agents looking up and down every orifice of your body… the arms of the Infantryman – those terrible weapons – should be in the hands of the citizenry. They are our birthright. If they were, none would dare try to enslave or attack us…

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

matt76,

Pretty good grouping for a 20mm cannon, even if it was accidental.. :)

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Absolutely agreed.
    Back on the thread topic. I have been thinking about this off and on all day. There have been several good points made from everyone. The main problem I see with an extended combat bag is if you don’t have it with you when you are pinned down it is no good. If you are carrying it you are more than likely looking for a fight. In SHTF Selco has talked several times about living to fight another day and keeping a low profile. I would keep the bulk of my gear where ever I am living at the time. I would also stay close enough to home that if I did get into trouble the others in my group would hear the gunfire and be able to support. If I did have to travel out of ear shot I would want to minimize my exposure. Carry 7 or 8 mags for the rifle, 3 or 4 for the pistol, food, water and maybe a poncho or plastic for a quick shelter. I can run faster scared than they can mad.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Okay, back to the OP.
    What would one want in an extended combat situation, additionally?

Well assuming your normal gear is undamaged, you are looking at a resupply bag. Ammo, batteries, food (power bars /granola bars/jerky) items that are easily packed, long shelf life and easy to eat without cooking. And fluids, water and gatorade, to both rehydrate and replace electrolytes.

Depending on your training and gear, boxed ammo may be fine. As most of will not be using full auto, using properly aimed fire 210 rifle rounds will last a long time, let alone an additional 100 pistol rounds.
    And if you’re using a dump pouch (you should), you will still have your mags to refill when there’s a lull in the action.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

matt,

Thing is, I never carried half the crap they said we “had” to carry. Like that stupid bear suit, etc. Much like you just went over, I carried my basic loadout – mags, weapon, compass, etc. A little food – mostly iron rations. Granola bars, candy bars, dried meat, gum, hard candy, sometimes drink mix if I could find it… water. Two each 1-quart canteens, plus one of those big square ones on a sling. (This was before the camelback became popular), a poncho and poncho liner (best thing EVER! The poncho liner is a life saver. Love it. Don’t even need a tent.), couple spare AA batteries for the NVG’s, smokes, spare socks, stuff like that… I never carried anything “extra”, unless it was more mags. Wait. I did carry two of those issue bandages they gave us. Carrying one was stupid. Bullet goes in one side, it comes out the other side. Two holes, but only one bandage. Derp. I had a cast-off waterproof bag I carried with me. It was originally meant to carry chemical gear (MOPP to the uninformed), but I used it to carry extra mags. You can really cram that thing full of magazines, and it looped over your shoulder just fine…

I had an old fashioned buttpack I carried all my little **** in… shoe goo, tiny roll of duct tape, weapons cleaning stuff, a toothbrush (handle cut off), and a nose ring for a 198 artillery round… ever try to loop parachute cord or commo wire over a high tree branch? That nose ring was just about perfect for chucking over a limb… still got it. :)

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Selco,
    I definitely agree with you on keeping options open. It’s just that very few law abiding people in America have ever experienced a situation where the rule of law goes out the window. We have been very blessed so far to have not had a full on war on our soil since the civil war and the only other occurrences have been looting and rioting during natural disasters. Because most of society lives in a protected bubble environment they just don’t normally think outside of the rule of law.

Exactly, that is why it is important to start to think outside box for many people who are preparing for SHTF, law is there for reasons, we are preparing for SHTF time for reasons.

Living in society where law strictly regulate lot of things is nice, comparing with living in region where is corruption, high unemployment, bribery etc. rules, but also living in “regulated” society can kinda “numb” you, so you can be just too much surprised when SHTF. No backup, no help, no law, no rules, just you and your skills and preparing.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

If you also noticed the one a style with the silvery lower…

that is an 80% unfinished lower being milled out and used. you can get a ar 15 in parts for under 1000 legal as long as you dont assemble more than one a year and serial it… no issues if you keep it as parts.(check your local rules)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.