Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

I’ve realized something reading through the posts. Experience already gained in a way of living will make a difference in a collapse/ WWIII. The farmers, already being the plumber, electrician, carpenter and veterinary surgeon. Making a living from the land, farmers will most probably be just fine. Put that farmer in the city? He will be fine, but will he feel that safe.

I’ve spent more than 10 years of my life in a Game Reserve, living a very peaceful life, with elephant’s, buffalo, and lions etc. You learn how birds or frogs react when danger is near. But you also live your life pretty relaxed. Walking through the bush to the library or friends house was a pretty normal thing to do. Chasing the hippo out of the garden or testing the wind as you walk back from school while watching the buffalo in the corner of your eye. Making sure you step into fresh manure every once in a while to prevent thorns sticking to your bare feet or the melting tar road burning your feet, it being 40 degrees Celsius.

Being in the “wild” is not that dangerous if you are used to it. Pick me up and drop me in the city – as a child I would have been pretty freaked out and go straight into survival mode. With the city child right next to me being all relaxed.
    I’ve lived on a farm and learned to fix fences and feed fish and deliver foals. Riding on horseback for four to six hours a day. I knew where to find water and never really bothered to travel anywhere with more than a moon bag and warm shirt. You would notice people visiting travel with a whole back pack when they go for a short walk to pick flowers. I am not saying there is something wrong with traveling prepared, just that I felt safe in my environment.

Living near the sea you learn about gathering bait to go fishing on a boat and the tides; how to read the weather. How to protect your garden against the wind. How to grow a garden in sand. You hop in the boat with a bit more than water, food and dry clothes. You grab a flashlight and basic tool kit. You feel safe if you are used to it.
    I have traveled to other countries and been to Switzerland and had my fun in the snow…Although very interested in living in the Northern Hemisphere.. believe me I will go into survival mode so quickly. I can read many books and watch documentaries. It will not be the same. You need experience in the basic skills from making a fire, to being observant in what you can see, hear, smell. I am sure it is different to make a fire on snow than in the dessert. .. There is no trees in some desserts.. Very little wood to make a fire.. See?

Every time I watch a documentary and people get all stressed out about “going into the wild” – and I start thinking – why on earth are they so scared – I put myself somewhere in the snow with bear tracks : O I am sure some of you guys will laugh at me. It is all about where your life has taken you so far..

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

There were places in the chiricahua mountains , where the US Army got lost , the Apache’s on the other hand , simply disappeared .I grew up rural , and now live in the city , I can be comfortable either place , either place has its own unique advantages as well as dangers …………what bothers me , are the people that think they are going to live off the land , ok you might be able to , but even in the best of conditions , it’s not easy . Our ancestors had shorter life spans for a reason , lack of modern medicine aside , life in general was just plain hard work .

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Leopard,
    No laughing here, sounds fun when it’s not a under duress situation.
    Tolik, manual labor = worn out

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

1974- Yes, I’m thinking of now, with everything still being fairly in control. I will be completely out of my comfort zone being somewhere on a snowy mountain..today. I might in the future spent some time in the world of snow and realize it is not that bad, but would prefer to have an experience local with me.
    I will be fine on farmland and in a game reverse. Been in the city for about 10 years… Definitely do not want to be here in a SHTF. We probably need to prepare for everything and a bit of everywhere.

You need to be ready today with knowledge and a medical kit, if you get injured. You can’t just prepare with canned food – the bad times could go on for years. I really do hope most people realize that your own SHTF is not going to happen synchronized with the rest of the world. Well, haha.. if it does turn out to be synchronized -it will probably be a nuke

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

I tend to get stressed in urban environments with tons of people (the mall, big stores like Urban Outfitters.) Your eyes can’t be everywhere at once and with only one or two exits in a place filled with people, it’s easy to get trampled to death (fire, bomb threat) or not get to cover quick enough (active shooter.)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.