Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

I’ve got 42 years in the utility industry including a lead position for the site recovery team at Three Mile Island. One last time as I head out the door. The spent fuel pits are basically swimming pools with casks under water. Most plants have large tanks that will gravity feed into the pits. They will keep the pits cooled for a significant amount of time. Is it infinite no. However, there will be so many more pressing problems during an EMP this is no longer worth discussing.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Roadracer,
    I’m very pleased to read your comments in this regard. Paticularly for 3 Mile Island as I could end up down wind from that plant.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Roadracer since you worked there how long do you think it will holdup? An EMP will last from 1 to 2 years so if it is a real bad one I like to know if I make it though the first year do I have to leave the area. I am 24 to 25 miles away from a nuclear power plant.

You are right that in an EMP attack there will be many more problems we will have to deal with but information now is valuable since if an EMP happens we will not have the internet to search for this information.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Lots to think about…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Funny as a read this thread I realize I know an employee at Exelon Nuclear at Limerick. I haven’t spoken to him in years but I might be able to get some info from him.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, great idea, lease report what he says to you.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free,
    After thinking about it a little more I’m not certain i want to risk the potential interest in my interest. For now I found this link to: Perspective on Radiation Releases and Emergency Planning
    at U.S. Nuclear Power Plants

“Severe accident management guidance that deals with beyond design-basis scenarios
    addressing severe seismic or fire-related accident sequences resulting in complete loss of
    off-site and on-site emergency power and complete loss of cooling.
    This guidance was
    also revised for plant operator responses to the consequences of large aircraft impact.”

http://www.exeloncorp.com/assets/energy/docs/NuclearSafety/dwnld_NEI_Emergency_Planning_Perspective_Radiation_Releases.pdf

Edit: http://www.nei.org/Master-Document-Folder/Backgrounders/Fact-Sheets/Safely-Managing-Used-Nuclear-Fuel?page=1

“Dry Containers. About one-half of U.S. nuclear plants are storing used fuel in large, rugged containers made of steel or steel-reinforced concrete. Depending on the design, a container can hold up to 37 pressurized water reactor fuel assemblies or 87 boiling water reactor fuel assemblies. The containers have a 20-year license. After 20 years, with NRC approval, the license could be extended for another 20 to 40 years.”

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

There is a lot of if’s in these studies. The used fuel rods are still a problem, each nuclear power plant has there way of storing them ether in a pool or dry storage. The dry storage looks better in an EMP attack but how do we find out what system is being used in the nuclear power plant near you.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free,
    There are a lot of links, one link buried in here is to information about each state. I didn’t read everything yet so I’m not sure what info is given.

http://www.exeloncorp.com/energy/generation/Pages/nuclearsafety.aspx#section_1

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

roadracer, I very much appreciate your explanations and attempts to educate the rest of us. I was an operations and numbers guy for 40 years retiring recently as Exec. VP & CFO where I worked. My nature is that of a hopelessly organized detail guy. I know that the nuke power industry is heavily regulated and that much money is spent on ensuring safe operations and in having smart highly qualified people doing the work. Most potential disasters that might happen to a nuke plant are going to be localized in nature as opposed to being national in scale. Localized means assistance and resources can quickly come from afar if needed, even if “local” is as big as say Katrina or Sandy in geographic scope. Even an EMP that is only local in scale doesn’t worry me too much as concerns the nukes because we’ll still have the ability to have emergency generators and fuel brought in to tend the spent fuel pools, and all of the other resources (food, water, security) needed to support the nuke plant workers during a recovery period. It is large scale EMP that worries me, large meaning most of the continental US, meaning help isn’t coming from anywhere else. Do nuke plants have specific plans for an EMP? This is both how to tend the spent fuel pools and having the necessary supplies set aside to maintain the necessary staff? I’ve been a volunteer with a local govt. pandemic flu preparedness and response group that has had to deal with State and Federal govt. I can assure you State/Fed. govt. plans in that regard are at best nonsensical. Their supply plan assumes what they need to buy will be there when they need it and they are double and triple counting the medical staff that would be involved. By extension I assume that the Feds have not required nuke plants to have large scale EMP response plans, hence my question as to whether nuke plants have made plans themselves. This is the ultimate exercise in detail. No external power means no fuel deliveries, no food deliveries, societal chaos/security issues and so forth. Hungry people don’t just go to work as usual,

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, Great points which I believe are some of the main problems. I do know that the military truck have a system in place where they can unplug there electronics and keep on driving if an EMP attack happens so they will be on the road but will they be able to refuel the generators with gas that I am not sure.

There are still a lot of open questions. I hate to go though an EMP attack where we are the prepared and make it to only find that the radiation is killing us all after all we did to make it. Also if the radiation doesn’t kill you first then with time the water that has radiation going down the rivers, likes and even oceans will end up killing us.

In the passed year I have personally emailed questions like this to many in the nuclear power industry and all do not have good answers email back.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

What these mooks need to do is develop a use for these “spent” fuel rods. So much waste heat, and more wasted energy (and $) to “tend” it. There was a company in Canada that had something…

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

undeRGRond, yes i had read something about that to. Some companies are developing a way to use the spent fuel rods. There is so much energy left in them.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Make a great water heater, or even a small steam generator!
    But the shielding is the catch…

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.