Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well here we go again. I live in Miami Florida so if Erika goes they way they are saying I will be in the middle of the storm or hurricane by the time it gets here.

I got the extra water yesterday, started the generator and will be getting about 20 gallons of gas today. I have all the food I need since I do prepare. On Sunday we will see how bad Erika will be and will I have internet or not.

Here is the news,

http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2015/08/28/florida-officials-warn-residents-to-prepare-for-tropical-storm-erika-arrival/?intcmp=hpbt1

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Good luck!

Cry, "Treason!"

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

When I read this, this was playing in the background.

Fitting.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Nice video, reminds me of the keys and the gulf coast. The sun rise is the keys and south beach and on the gulf it is all about sun down with a cold one in one hand. Love the fishing. I can spend all day fishing.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Good luck. How far from the ocean are you?

The photos in the video are great. It reminded me of how beautiful the coastal areas are down there. I could never live there climate-wise and critters-wise but the coastal areas are indeed beautiful.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I was thinking it would make landfall at Satellite Beach.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, I am not close to the coastal area so no flood here but this one is coming with a lot of rain so tree come down when that happens. I have lived here since I was four years old so I have been here for 54 years and the only critters I see here are mosquitoes. You have to live in the everglades to see any critters. Dogs and cats. I have see a small fox maybe ten times in all the time I have lived here.

Brulen, We will see what happens. All the hurricanes that I have been throw happen when the news said they were not coming our way. The only one they got a little right was Andrews and even Andrews they got the landing location wrong. This one may get stronger or it may break up.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Watch the storm closely freedom. As you say they don’t always go where they are supposed to. Good luck.

You aren’t going to convince me on the critters part. Friends lived in Palm Bay and one day when they came home there was a huge snake in their garage. My brother lived in Clearwater and there were these little lizard type critters all over the place. No way would I walk barefoot there. I had to pull over on the interstate one day because what they call love bugs had splattered over my windshield to the point that I could barely see. He and our friends would have their homes sprayed every month or so for bugs. I swear some of the bugs down there are so big you could almost put a saddle on them. Then we took a ride from Hollywood where my wife’s aunt lived across the State to Lehigh where my cousin lived and the alligators…..ugh. I inherited land in Lehigh Acres and went to visit it one day and found it had just been bulldozed to make way for a house. I called the County offices to ask what was going on and it turned out someone else with land in Lehigh Acres had the same name as me and a mistake had been made as to what lot to clear. I asked what about the damage to my property and was told the construction people did me a favor, that the county wouldn’t even send anyone out there until a lot was cleared on account of the snakes. Nice and cold up here. Almost no snakes, none poisonous. No alligators. No lizards scurrying around and not much in the way of bugs.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Have some Perrier Freedom. It looks like Erika is a washout. More rain than wind.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

But that rain is really bad in some spots. One island location registered over 24″ overnight!

And, Erika was cancelled this morning, only to be re-born later today as “Invest 90,” capable of further organization/strengthening.

One comment on generators: make sure you don’t just start them (and run them a little while to evaporate the initial water that’s created in the cold system as a combustion byproduct), but ALSO plug things into it. Make sure that not only the engine is running, but also the generator and associated electronics as well. Noise doesn’t necessarily equal power.

Also in the long run remember that even 20 gallons of gas will only last so long, then power is gone. Plus, the sound of a running generator post-SHTF (meaning in a VERY quiet environment), is a magnet for bad guys. I’m personally thinking that more solar is ultimately the way to go – particularly in the south where battery-killing cold temperatures are not much of an issue. Expensive – but then so’s auto insurance, particularly if you never have to use it. Good AGM or gel batteries can be kept indoors quite safely, thereby further protecting them from the widely varying temperatures outside, and also from theft. Silent power, renewable power? What else could one want in an in-place survival situation?

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Just picking on the storage of gas issue GS mentioned, I keep a dozen 5 gallon gas containers that I rotate through my lawnmower (about 2.5 – 3 gallons each mowing and then a whole lot more when I take up leaves in the fall). I’ll get at least a full rotation in a season, usually a little more. I refill each one as I empty them. At the end of each season I add Stabil to all of the containers, and this system seems to work. Only once did I have a bad batch. It could be I just missed that one container when adding Stabil.

I’m with GS on the solar being a better long term bet than a generator, even up here. I don’t have either though.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Some here have propane gas generators since propane doesn’t go bad and can be stored. But when the SHTF times the noise would bring trouble to your location. The solar will not.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

A diesel truck can make a good generator depending on the size of the alternator. Just have a 2500w inverter and extension cord. Take the wheels off and no one will even think of stealing it. When I got my truck I put a heavy duty 140 amp alternator in it. Now to see trucks with 200 amp + is not uncommon. The fire dept and ambulances have real monster alternators. Used they can be a real buy.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

May the hand of the Lord protect you and yours should the storm hit you. Best of luck!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.