Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I came across this video today and I was quite surprised at what Wranglerstar reported in the second half of this 5 minute video. He spoke of people making demands of him [requests] that he’d do something for them. He was surprised, as I was, at the evident culture where many teenagers think they are entitled. I grew up with many modern benefits and conveniences, but it would not occur to me to try on what these kids seem to think is okay. There seems to be something very wrong if the kids are so indulged that they think they have a right to impose on other people; narcissism is what I suspect.

Whether that’s true or not, I thought I’d repost the video here, in which he notes the difference between selfishness and selflessness. I don’t want to blame the kids too hard because I expect many are not aware that what they’re doing is very rude, but I am a little surprised that this is happening.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

elijah, These is happening all around us with the young, I have to kids, one is 14 and the other is 19. They sometimes tells me how some of there friends just get this of that which I do not do for them. My 19 year old is starting to real understand how bad it is that this is happening. She is working part time and goes to college full time. Today she left at 7:30am to go to college and work and will get home at 8:30pm to take a bath, eat and study some more and then go to sleep to start all over again tomorrow. She is learning what many are not and will do very well in life.

Sure I would love to give her everything but what will that teach her? It is not easy to be a good parent and teach your kids.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

If the parents think the kids are entitled to anything they want, then the kids are going to think the same. The end result are useless adults who think the world exists to meet their needs. My kids got a lot, more than most kids do, but coming from where I did, it never came with any kind of “you’re entitled” message. Quite the opposite in fact. Both grew up to be responsible adults who can manage their money and live within their means.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

It is a truly proud day when a father sees one of his children exercise the morals and values that he has tried to I still in his children. My family and I were at a family reunion and my middle daughter who was 11 at the time asked for something from the store when we went into town later. I told her we will see. She thought for a minute and proceeded to ask if she rubbed my feet for 5 min could she have a dollar. I saw where this was going so I agreed. She finished rubbing and I watched her go from uncle to uncle asking if she could rub their feet or sholders for money. I was so proud of her for being willing to work to get what she wanted. Of course the uncles overpaid and she had money left over lol. I guess she learned 2 leasons. Work for what you want and do a good job and make more money.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    I think there is an element of working men over in that story, something they learn early as well.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Elijah – great post, thanks for this link. I watched several Wranglerstar vids and thoroughly enjoyed them. Wish I could have done that years ago – still time.

On entitlement – parenting, not friendship is what is needed. Without parent models it takes a special kid to figure it out, and some never will. I believe that narcissism is one of the pillars of the current attitude. They see it day in and day out from Hollyweird, TV, sports “heroes”, politicians and many, many other “leaders”. Let’s face it, the premise behind Facebook and Twitter is “look at me and what I did” today or “how important what I have to say is”…vice the humble service of helping others and mankind in generaf and working hard without the “need” for praise or “likes” or any of that crap in the past. It all began when we started with the social experimentation of no one “losing” in elementary school and junior sports and everyone getting a trophy or medal or being recognized for nothing but showing up to some practices and many times not even trying. Well why even try if you get rewarded for doing nothing? We reap what we sow…

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Novus Ordo, it’s been a long time but back when my daughter was in 5th grade she won the school’s spelling bee. No certificate or recognition was forthcoming and we didn’t think anything of it. The following year she again won the school’s spelling bee, and again, no recognition. Shortly thereafter the school had it’s annual Field Day which is sort of a big picnic with lots of athletic type contests. She came home with a certificate for coming in 5th place in the long jump, and she was so very proud of that. I knew that the principal was a big fan of the company I worked for and so I sent him a letter saying that nobody was ever hired or promoted there based on their ability to jump but sometimes inability to spell did get in the way. He got the message and the next thing we knew my daughter was receiving an award from the School Board themselves at their next meeting. Alas, they subsequently dropped the Spelling Bee so as to not have “losers” who couldn’t spell. The Field Day competitions continued. She went to a private school starting in 7th grade.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, My wife works in a university and she tells me that the English and math are the two subjects that kids are not passing. Math is even a bigger problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.