Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

One reason preppers have gas masks in their inventory lol .

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

One reason preppers have gas masks in their inventory lol .

Having one doesn’t help much when the smoke is pouring out of the building the aforementioned pro mask is located in…

But yeah, point taken…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Malgus:

Then you remember the MRE heater CS gas bombs. We used to make them and toss them into vehicles when on ***** watch to mess with the AAV crew.

For those that don’t know: take 2 MRE heaters and crumble them into a liter soda bottle with holes in the lid. Pour in 2-3 Tobasco bottle from your MRE, add about 1 cup of water, replace the lid and toss into a confinearea with people you want to mess with. Field expedient crowd/POG control…..

http://ageofdecadence.com

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Oh. Forgot the big SAFETY tip. Run like hell anddon’t let on that you did it….. Just saying.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Wonder if that would work with ghost pepper extract , and ammonia instead of water ?

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Probably. Hurt like hell if you got caught up in it, so the stronger the extract the strongernthe vapors I would guess.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Sled,

Yeah, I remember… don’t know how old you are, but I’m guessing I’m about a generation ahead of you… prior to MRE heaters, we had to make do with the intake manifold on a HUMMV engine for heating up MRE’s… filch some aluminum foil from the mess tent and you were really fortunate… used to call it “Intake Manifold gourmet eatin'”..

There were always Joe’s finding new and creative ways to create mayhem and plot destruction… remember the old PRC77 radio system? (Or am I dating myself?)…. used these big old brick-shaped, brick-sized magnesium batteries… key word being “magnesium”… some derp thought it would be hilarious to light one off in the middle of the motor pool… magnesium burns at over 5,000 degrees F, so it’s gonna head for the center of the earth when you light it off in an asphalt parking lot… throw water on it, and it’s so hot (plus making it’s own oxygen) it breaks down water into hydrogen and oxygen, making a bigger fire… hardy har har…

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Lol…. Sounds like you were only 1 equipment generation ahead of me. I was in for almost 10 years ( 94-03 ). Now my daughter brings home all sorts of new stuff that is at least 1 if not 2 equipment gens after me…… We has 119’s but still has a few 77’s floating around when I went to FMSS. Guess they still use 119’s in some instances even now.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,
    As I’m sure you know, anything creating ammonia gas or vapor is dangerous and can be lethal. Paticulary dangerous is mixing bleach into ammonia creating hazardous atmospheres usually requiring evacuation of buildings.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

sled,

Yep… I was in 87 to 00. Reagan army, Bush army, Clinton army, Bush II army (the beginning of it anyways…)

PRC77’s, KYK13’s, AN/GRC’s and AN/VRC’s – stuff that looks almost stone age compared to what Joe’s are using today… in the late 90’s, we thought the portable satellite system we were using was high speed – it came in it’s own suitcase… now the same thing can be accomplished by one of those sat phones little bigger than a flip phone… I remember standing on a balcony railing – on the 4th floor, during a snow storm – trying to get the dish attached and oriented correctly so we could at least get comms up… I can remember driving a Deuce and a half that dated to the Eisenhower Administration… a lot of that changed shortly afterwards and we all got new HUMMV’s… which we promptly beat to pieces. The old Deuces could hold up to the beatings… HUMMV’s can’t. I like Deuces better…

Of course, trolling people being the main pastime of soldiers everywhere, my very first platoon sergeant thought it would be hilarious – since I was the biggest guy in the platoon – to hang as much crap on me as humanly possible. So, I was assigned to be the radio guy. PRC77. My assigned weapon was, predictably, the 60. Plus all my kit, ammo, spare batteries, etc… hardy har har… I felt like a pack mule. I am intimately familiar with the PRC77 and all the comsec that went with it…

Profile photo of Cache
    Cache
    Survivalist
    member1

Thanks Tolik.

Sled, the military munitions I’ve used use phosphorus to generate smoke … thus the health issues … and why WP munitions are not Genevea-friendly as anti-personnel weapons, though I’ve never heard of anyone branded a war criminal for using one … but then, I haven’t researched that. ; )

Enough MRE heaters together can generate hydrogen gas (which is caustic … ammonia is quiet toxic Tolik) in sufficient quantities to clean out a confined space like a vehicle or commercial aircraft cargo compartment if an ignition source is present … so shipping them by air, by themselves is a bit of a no-no.

I’d check local ordinances, but pressurized OC grenade like Fox sells used to be legal in many places and likely still are. They are pretty effective and I carry Sudecon wipes in my Med kits because I carry OC in various forms as a less-lethal deterrent and also 5/8 dram of the powder in my PSK to counter-track against dogs. I have a big tin of military-grade OC left over from R&D and some bursting OC munitions that throw rubber pellets for prison riot control, but those are now destructive devices thanks to BATFE’s ever-waffling position that changes with the political breeze of the month … so most folks will have a hell of a time with paperwork and taxes, making them pretty hard to come by, but in a any kind of severe disruption, that stuff will come out of the woodwork, so I’d carry some type of compact mask, eye protection that seals well and wipes. It doesn’t have to be a full-blown mask & suit for EDC. But I guarantee a percentage of everyone on a SWAT team has ordnance that was cataloged destroyed in training or QC, but made it home in a pouch or range bag. Hell, I know of some who buried C-4 fight in their freaking back yard and them blabbed about it … not overly bright if you ask me, but who am I to judge?

Yeah, magnesium is fun stuff and a key component in some flash powders and Thermite. You can buy it online in pretty much any form … blocks, rods, ribbon, powder … depending on what you plan to do with it. A little Chemistry goes a long way. But you can even buy Thermite in kits with iron oxide powder (rust powder) that you just mix and it’s ready to go. The rust provides the oxygen for the highly exothermic reaction that emits exceedingly bight white light. Great for sabotaging vehicles. Just stuff a road flare in a container of it and set it on the engine block and let it do it’s thing. No fixing that.

Yeah, you can buy a surplus Duece pretty cheap. I saw a lot of the M700 series trucks at PrepperCon. Took a bunch of photos too, if anyone’s interested. Maybe I could post some to another thread.

Here’s a link to the Fox Labs aerosol “grenade” as they like to call it … for marketing purposes.

http://www.foxlabs.com/products/pepper-spray/Special-Tactical-Units-Grenades_AE11.html

Profile photo of Cache
    Cache
    Survivalist
    member1

As a side note, even the little bursting OC’s used for cell extraction pack a little punch. I tossed one at a cardboard IPSC target in a stand and the blast blew off the bottom 1/3 of the target and set it on fire. Some of the big sting balls with the .45 cal rubber pellets used for prison riots are a full stun munition (producing >10PSI of of overpressure at 10′) and will really ruin someone’s day if properly placed … not to mention the fact that they will likely think they just got fragged because of the blast + impact + OC … kind of a triple bad day … but as with all grenades, placement is key and there is an element of luck involved. They are definitely not like the movies portray them and even with perfect placement, there is no guarantee they will take shrapnel … unless they roll out of bed when they hear noise and land on top of it … then it doesn’t much matter if it was lethal or less lethal … just like diving on one, if you use your body to tamp the explosion and slow the fragmentation, you are going to get tore up … even in armor. So even if you use less-lethal, there’s no guarantee someone won’t decide to commit suicide on your weapon. That’s why there’s no such thing as “non-lethal” in the industry … just less-lethal.

Profile photo of Cache
    Cache
    Survivalist
    member1

Oh, hey Tovik, I have a 37mm too. They are pretty sweet, but the BATFE ruled all “anti-personnel” ammo as a destructive device … at least when paired with a launcher, so you might as well just buy a 40mm if you want to fire the less-lethal impact rounds. The smokes are alright, but most of the ones I’ve worked with don’t put out a really impressive volume of smoke for the purposes of concealing movement. Honestly, you’d be better off throwing smokes … it would save you a whole lot of trouble, but it isn’t nearly as cool-looking, lol.

There is something about looking into the business end of grenade launcher … I seriously doubt most folks could tell many models of 37mm’s from 40mm’s, but it’s mostly psychological with the 37mm. 40mm is a different story, but if you shoot enough of those things, you will eventually get a short-charged round or have one go off in the pipe … and that’s considerably worse than a muzzle breach or slide failure on most weapons, although they can be pretty catastrophic once in a while.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Just have a care when you’re using this stuff… no idea what they put in their smoke munitions…

I’m not sure what’s in them, but universally, playing fields limit the number at a time that can be used indoors. So they’re obviously not all that lung friendly.

However (disclaimer: I never really got a mouthful of the stuff personally) I haven’t heard anyone complain about it so my assumption is that using common sense should be good enough to prevent any injuries/illnesses.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I always thought it would be funny to toss one in an abandoned building to watch all the winos bail out lol .

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.