Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Smoke screens could be a useful tool to provide cover for escape in some situations . The biggest problem with most smoke grenades on the market is the possibility of fire from them . I found a smoker that is “cold ” burn . They make many different colors including plain white smoke , they also come in two types . The ” burst ” version is for speedy cloaking , and it burns out of both ends of the bomb at the same time . The other is a normal grenade that only burns out of one end , but provides more smoke and burns longer than the burst style . They are all ring pull , no lighting needed . I will test them out and update , they look promising .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Interesting, let me know how it works out.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I can see how they would be very useful in an urban area , because with the cover of buildings , they would linger like a fart in a library . Outdoors , would depend on the amount of wind , tree density , etc . I just watch one on the black version , very strong smoke , almost looked like burning tires .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I live in an area were there are many homes and trees but the city has a small downtown area too. I can see a use for these in a SHTF time.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

They have an OC version?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

They might , who knows .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes the military have the OC version but not the gangs and criminals that may go wild in the cities. So it maybe helpful if you need to get out of an area.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I ordered one of all three versions to test , I found out they make a ‘fat boy ‘ also , its called the EG-18 , supposed to pump out a lot of smoke and burn for quite awhile . I orderd all in green , mostly because I will be in a heavily wooded state soon , and that it looked like it stayed foggy and impaired vision longer than some of the other colors , one guy did not recommend the red as he thought it was too thin .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes Tolik the green looks like the best option. I went to the website and did see the EG-18.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I have a little experience from playing big paintball games where these are thrown. Indoors they are indeed very effective. Outdoors, obviously not as much. In wooded areas they are decent.

The greens and dark smoke worked best from what I have seen. Reds, blues, and yellows didn’t work so well.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

THanks for the input , cant wait to test them out .

Profile photo of Cache
    Cache
    Survivalist
    member1

They look promising. It’s actually a plus that they are marketed for use for paint ball as opposed to more overtly tactical applications because that gives you a very reasonable explanation for owning them. I think I would lean toward the EG-18 because of the volume for most outdoor applications, but the little ones look like they would be a good alternative to the Orion scratch-cap signal smokes (in orange) for emergency signaling.

I ran a class A magazine for a while and am instructor certified with the M201A1-series fuzed smoke munitions and ton of other ordnance and I’m curious to see what they are using for a fuze.

It used to be that John Q. Public could own all kinds of less-lethal ordnance, with some restrictions (under 7 grams of propellant, no anti-personnel rounds larger than .50 cal or 12 gauge, etc) .but since the “Un-Patriot Act”-fueled power grab and the current admin encouraging agencies to interpret the law any way that suits them, those fuzes are now “destructive devices” so they are thrown in with anything sub-nuclear.

All it’s going to due is kill a bunch of rednecks when they blow stuff up with more dangerous fuzes. Most of that stuff is of pretty limited practicality in peacetime for most folks since you’d have a heck of time explaining to most judges how it was reasonable for you to use a stun munition or smoke grenade in a self-defense scenario … but that doesn’t stop them from being fun and effective.

Where did you order from? Looks like if you order them in the states you get the $30/box HAZMAT fee, So I’d order a bunch. Looks like it could fill a niche for sure. I like the bursting smokes for some applications, but these look great. Thanks for the info. : )

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

This is interesting to see someone post on this subject. I have been toying around with the idea of getting a 37mm grenade launcher so that I can shoot smoke grenades for cover and concealment reasons in addition to getting some parachute illumination flares.

When I was in the military we used smoke for many different reasons above cover/concealment. Signaling for shift of fire, signaling to incoming groups (I am tossing smoke: Copy, I see the _____ color smoke: Copy, ______ color smoke.), etc. Even if I had to shoot out 3 or 4 to match the volume of military grenades it would be worth it if they were needed.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Cache , get them on ebay ……….no hazmat fee . ebay is good for getting around certain things . I order all kinds of things from foreign sellers as well , been my experience , that Germany and Germans are by far the best people to deal with .

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Back in the late 80’s, when I was stationed out at Ft. Lewis (when the old 9th ID was still around and Lewis hadn’t combined with the AFB) some knucklehead chucked a white smoke munition out the window of his vehicle on the I-5 just south of Seattle….

The traffic jam was epic.

Later, in 1995, yet a different knucklehead biffed another smoke munition in the 3rd floor latrine of our barracks down in Panama… in an enclosed space, all that smoke is bad news. Buddy of mine – who used to be a volunteer firefighter prior to enlisting – ran into the building thinking it was on fire in an effort to save people.

He ended up breathing that crap and suffered lingering issues with his lungs for years afterwards…

Just have a care when you’re using this stuff… no idea what they put in their smoke munitions…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.