Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

I have been looking into getting emp/proof resistant vehicle, anyone have some suggestions, i would like a truck 4×4 and diesel, that is fairly easy to get parts for and repair as i am not the worlds best mechanic. Replacement parts suggested to keep on hand.

thx

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Almost an impossible quest.

Most “resistant” vehicles are going to be 40+ years old.
    Spare parts, Napa, Auto Zone, etc.

Best option, find an old vehicle that fits your needs and take a class through your local community college on service, restoration and such.
    Do a complete frame off restoration, that way it all gets done, you now know it inside and out, and you increase both it’s and your value.

Option two, no space,no skill.
    Talk to your local high school,see if they need a project, and let them restore an old one.

The old military ‘Dodge’ Power Wagons are out there, same for the ambulances. Think 1950’s MASH style.

Next option, depends on your location.
    The ‘sandrails’ built using tubular frames.
    Generally an old VW engine, but built to beat up.
    Add some amenities such as sheet metal external panels and such, there’s nothing to go wrong as long as you have a pre electronic ignition system. Except for the condenser coil and such.

I seem to recall a decent article on this in an old ASG magazine. Will dig it up for you.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Namelus,
    The newer the vehicle the more electronics it will have, even diesels have them for fuel injection.

I would look for a restored Dodge with a Cummings diesel. They started using Cummings in 1989.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

And here’s some info.

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

Check this out, see if it sparks an idea.

http://stevespages.com/page7e.htm

ASG 1988 10/4 is the one to read, by Ralph Zumbro
    There’s another article, just can’t remember it.

http://modernsurvivalonline.com/the-almost-emp-proof-vehicle/

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Whirlibird Whirlibird.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Also you need to understand that is you have a vehicle that still works after an EMP that everyone that is alive and armed will want to take it away from you. It is a target to drive anything after an EMP attack.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Bicycles, grocery carts, wagons, and wheelbarrows will become targets — tote sacks, duffels, and backpacks soon to follow. Families or close friends will need to go grocery shopping in armed groups, by carefully chosen routes, if at all. That’s why we prepare.

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes LT, Prepare, store up on food and water, defend with guns and ammo. You need to try to not go out for the first 12 months. That’s why we prepare to avoid getting killed. When the SHTF we all should have stored enough food and water for 1 to 2 years min.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

You need to try to not go out for the first 12 months ….

Ask Selco how well that “stay indoors for a year and you’ll be safe” strategy worked in his neighborhood….

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes but and this is a BIG but, Selco was not prepared like we are, many years of guns, ammo, food, water, and many other items. Selco was in a war zone that came and many didn’t prepare for it at all.

I understand that going out in a city the first 120 day will get you killed for sure 100% and staying in is still a 50% but it is one of the only ways to fight in a city with millions.

For the people that didn’t prepare yes they will have to go out and many will get killed in the first 90 days. We have an opportunity to be very prepared compared to what Selco went throw. Many there were not prepared. Even we will have a problem after a year. Selco when throw many years of war there.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

There are no absolutes. We should be prepared to move even if your plan is to stay, and the opposite is true as well.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

I have decided to go with a 6×6 1968 m923 you can pick them up on government auctions for about 5 000 each running. multi fuel engine air brake. Culverts are also there.

going to put in new “garage” dig it into side of hill using those large galvanized culverts with grounding rods and drop door facing into a small ravine that is taller than the opening by 20 feet on opposing side. will only need to use excavator and some air tools to assemble will give a 50 decibel attenuation of electronic waves.

Thanks for all the input was going to redo the chassis into something more off road and change the front axle to a locking hub kind to improve ride and save on fuel. It will also cover what whirl was saying about learning the vehicle and how to maintain it.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

You might want to do a little more research and be certain you understand how the pulses can interact WITHIN the earth itself – not just radiating through the atmosphere. Grounding by itself is not a cure-all.

EMP (electromagnetic pulse) can be caused by an high-altitude nuclear weapon that will interact with the Earth’s atmosphere, ionosphere, and magnetic field to produce an EMP radiating down to the Earth and create electrical currents in the Earth.

http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2014/01/04/understanding-emp-preppers-know/

Sorry – I don’t have the time to do all the research, but I have previously seen multiple articles that detail how, depending on the circumstances of the EMP, the earth itself is a conduit for much of the damage. It isn’t just line of sight above ground.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.