Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

So I just posted a thread on recon an such, and I mentioned plans for an event (specifically EMP) and what you would do on EMPday1. Which got me to thinking, what exactly WOULD I myself do.

First and foremost, I’d assess where I am, where my family and friends are, and, if I’m not at home, how I would get back there. Within that, I’d have to figure out if some fam/friends who aren’t home, if I should go about getting some of them myself, or go home myself in the hopes they’d work their way back. Something I need to figure out for sure.

I’d then (at home, either if I’m already there, or once I get there), fill up as many containers with water as I can.

I’d see if I can obtain any radio signal for any news/comms.

Look at increasing my security.

Then I’d start to check on other family and friends who live close by, thereby also gathering intel on what’s going on in my area.

So, EMPday1, what are your procedures?

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I have gone over the EMP plan with my family many times over because they have hearing problems if you know what I mean!

Well first thing is if your computer, laptop, cellphone, lights go down, all of them, then you go to your car. If the car is died then they know it was an EMP.

Then I have told them they need to start walking home ASAP. They have about 3 to 5 hours after the EMP to get home since many will not know what has happened.

The wife and daughter are at the same place FIU, my wife works there and my daughter goes to school there. FIU is about 8 to 10 miles away. They are in good shape and can walk 3 to 4 mile and hour, I do this with my wife all the time.

I work at home so I would get my son which is about 1 1/2 away for now, next year he will be 10 miles away so I would bike over there and pick him up.

Once home my Father and Mother should be there too since they live only two blocks away. By then my father and mother would have gotten more water. I would go one block away to a small store and see if they would sell me any of there can foods and any fruits they may have with cash. That is why you need a small amount of cash for the first day or two but do not go more the two to three blocks away from home.

Then get back home and lock up windows and doors. Cook only inside and do not use to much lighting so people do not see what you are doing.

There are some that are buying the folding bikes and putting them in there cars so they can get back faster.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

As I posted on the recon thread, medical supplies must be obtained before the pharmacies are looted. And my daughter is 60 miles away in an urban area.

The timing of the EMP event may make a difference in the order of business but most likely I will break into pharmacy or two, then ride my 550 down the trail into the city and back out. Hopefully all under the cover of darkness. Maybe 3 up on the way home.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v are you talking about a 550 motorcycle? Is it older then 1975? Make sure you save an extra battery in the cage for an EMP! Some of the pharmacies will take cash, if not then yes break into one. Remember if your bike works after 3 to 5 hours the street will get bad and someone will shot at you for the bike. Get your daughter fast, do the break ins after.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v Also save a light bulb for the bikes light, we do not know if the EMP will blow the bulb inside or not.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    Thanks would not have thought sbout that. Makes me wonder if if the coils could be burnt out from high voltage /duration of event.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, Yes put all the parts in the cage that you thing will burn out. My father and grandfather were electrical contractors and I been working with electrical wiring since I was 16 so I know a little how high voltage will burn things and an EMP is bad. My dad is 84 and his cage is were every box is also a small cage so you know that he is thinking that an EMP is strong. Put your radio some batteries, flash lights and everything you need for your bike to work.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    Thanks. I have some electrical knowledge as well. I don’t have any real idea how much voltage and amps to expect. Which makes me wonder about the safety of most of the cages discussed. Ok well they are not safe. High voltages.

Sting
    Sting
    Survivalist
    rreallife

About EMP effects. Reading some of the latest studies on EMP efffects from Livermore labs and Los Alamos it may not be as bad as some think on vehicles. Many late model vehicles were tested and ran quite well, or only temporarily shut down, or ran rough. It would appear the tires and other in car insulation has a shielding effect on the electrics/ electronics. The cell network probably not so sturdy, power grid vulnerable, things not hooked into the household power outlets may be fine.

The real thing is no one actually knows how bad an EMP event could be. there is a lot of guessing and conjecture but it is reall a big unknown. But of course we should all prep for the worst scenario and be relieved if it is not as bad. Food and a means to filter water in extended power outage are very important, but if you live in an area of the Midwest US like I do, staying warm and heat in the long winter is extremely important. So better have a lot of wood and the means to heat the house/retreat with it. And that is very hard, which is why in frontier times and movies, the Dad always told the kid to chop firewood. can’t ever have enough.

Sting

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v Agree about the cages, The one I have everything that goes in it will be in a box then wrapped with aluminum foil. This way is it goes though the cage there is another small cage.

We will not know how strong an EMP because there are many ways for an EMP to happen. If they really know what they are doing then they can take down the Country, but they may try and it may end as a not so strong EMP. It has never been done. Some Cities may get hit hard and other cities may get a smaller EMP. Some of the metal of the vehicles may do what a cage does, we just do not know. So I also agree with Jeff.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/electomagnict-plus-and-effects-explained/

Read this pdf. it is very informative and makes me believe much more is known than we are lead to believe.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Freedom,
    Yes a bike with points, no electronic ignition parts. 1976 550 four. Quiet as a sewing machine.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Microwave makes a great Faraday cage.

Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin, Yes a microwave does make a great faraday cage but I have read that you would need to cut the electric cord since the EMP would go in the microwave though the cord. Then tape up the area with the aluminum or copper tape.

I would tape the door also.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, That is good that the bike is 1976. Just save a battery and battery cables.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.