Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

EMP Attack: Only 30 Million Americans Survive

This is a good article on EMP attack. They say that only 30 million of us will survive. That is a lot lower number that I have seen in other articles that I have read.

EMP Attack: Only 30 Million Americans Survive

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Yep, one big blast about 300 miles high over Kansas would do the trick.
    Robin

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Imagine if some nation or group were to pair an EMP attack with a biological/weaponized super flu. That would increase the suck factor 10 fold.

But yeah, an EMP alone would be devastating, and it could very well leave 30 million, or even less, alive in the U.S., or maybe a few more. It really depends.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Hard to figure how many would die that were flying, riding (cars, trains, buses etc) or any mode that used small computers to run things. Ships at sea would still move but not sure of steering. Any one know the effect of EMP on submarines?
    Robin

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

90+% of the US dead within the first year although according to the article none may die in the initial blast? I found it funny that they don’t really say how except for the reliance on electronics to survive. So, basically I think this number is blown way out of proportion. People will do what they have to do – the pumps go out for the gas stations? So what – they did in Iraq too and we went to a station where the Iraqi’s had just run a long hose into the ground tanks and attached a hand siphon. Of course, the computers and such in cars will be fried, but what about the computers that are on the self at the parts store? What I’m getting at is people will figure things out and many of them (like us) won’t stand around waiting for the gubmint rescue. It would definitely have a serious suck factor, especially in those areas with lousy weather, and many will die – but no where near 90% unless coupled with Mr. Red’s idea. People lived and thrived without technology for eons and we’ll go back to that and still be better off due to the re-use of items made when it existed. Something to prepare for? I believe so, but not something to put at the top of the list IMHO.

There’s a guy named Scott Hunt who has a video coming out soon on how to prepare your home and vehicles for an EMP. Google it if interested or I can PM you the link.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Novus Ordo, I have read that some well made solar panels will work after an EMP. Not 100% sure on that but it is interesting to look into this. I also read that the airplanes will not fall or stop working all together and many will be able to land but will not work that well after they land. Not sure on that but planes are always getting hit by lighting.

Well the point is many will die so we need to prepare. The first year is the one were many would die so we need to store enough food and water for at less one year.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Regarding the whole idea of us being able to just go back to living without technology, honestly, I think most people really underestimate how hard that will be. I’ve mentioned the book “The Knowledge; How to rebuild our society from scratch” a couple times on here, and even though that book hardly even scratches the surface, the idea of being able to totally rebuild, especially from an EMP, will be staggeringly difficult.

Yes, in the initial minutes of an EMP attack, there will be hundreds, into thousands, of people dead. But then a week, a month, a year into it, with pretty much zero services still up for survivors, and those still alive having to rely upon themselves, the number of dead will be unimaginable.

It’s hard to even comprehend how bad it could be in some areas. Really, it’s almost scary to think about it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr. Red, I agree. I hope the Europeans and the rest of the world will help, we will see.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Yeah, unless they get hit also, in which case we’d all be pretty much screwed.

It’d be quite a plan for Russia/China/terror group to pull off a couple EMP attacks on North America and Western Europe, but the payoffs would be huge if they wanted the big boys out of the picture.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Freedom – got it brother. Wasn’t disputing you or the article, just the 90% number is all. Definitely something to prepare for all the same. A full on economic collapse will take many of today’s “throw away” electronics off the shelf and we’ll have to repair and make do or do without. Didn’t say that it would be easy – you’re right Mr. Red – many will die just from despair and not having the mental toughness to keep on going. I just have issue with something that goes out with a number like that – makes me suspicious of “Subscribe to us – and we’ll show you how to survive the EMP strike for only $69.95″. That’s all. Still a worthy post and something to be gleaned, but without the scare factor. Who know’s when I get all of my other 101 things on my list done I might just build a farady cage…

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of Broadside
    Broadside
    Survivalist
    member3

Mr. Red wrote:
    It’s hard to even comprehend how bad it could be in some areas. Really, it’s almost scary to think about it.

It’s terrifying to think about. The initial die off will be no joke. Take a look at the people in your daily life. Who’s on blood pressure meds, or is diabetic? Sleep apnea?, no more c-pap machine for you. Older folks on home O2? when it’s out it’s out. Who do you know that is simply too fat and out of shape for any sort of manual labor necessary for survival afterwards, not to mention people who for some reason only God knows simply don’t know how to do anything for themselves including cook a meal? Basically, anyone who would have perished in 1860 for lack of infrastructure or medicine will perish then. It will be beyond our imaginations. This is not even getting into basic sanitation issues and disease migration through a given population, malnutrition/starvation, violence, and accidental death.

“One Second After” by William R. Forstchen is a good read and I believe a decent estimate about life post-EMP.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

What people forget in their panic is that for most, China included, it’s too costly in the effect category to pull off such a stunt.

They lose out to much. Sales of goods, theft of technology, somewhere to dump their unwanted “persons” without killing them. They hurt themselves as much as the US, much as they hate us, they need us.

Outside a “rogue” nation or terrorist attack, the chances of a nuclear EMP event are very slim.
    Now a “Carrington Effect” event, that’s another kettle of fish.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

China is by no means the only entity that might or could use EMP. Nkorea could as we speak and they have a ruler that has no compunctions about killing people. Iran will have the capability shortly if they don’t already. They have a fatalistic ideology and are looking foreward to the end of the earth. Taliban, AlQaeda other terrorist groups, any of them could pull it off.

If we have a financial collapse and our money is worthless China will still want to be paid like a loan shark. When we can’t they will try to cut are balls off.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74 is right on this one! NKorea & Iran also has a satellite each that no one knows what is in them. Can they have a nuclear bomb in a satellite 300 miles up and do an EMP attack on us? Why else do they want a satellite.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

From that height – 300 miles – LOS is pretty much all of the US and parts of Canada and Mexico, provided it is biffed somewhere around the center of the US.

First dieoff will be from stuff like airplanes going down, pacemakers stopping, folks on dialysis, etc. Second wave will be after the meds give out after a couple 3 or 4 weeks or so. Wave 3 will be sickness, accidents, etc.

If you can make it through the first waves and you have your wits about you, I feel you should be okay. For awhile. As was stated, the problem lies with our infrastructure. Not only will the grid be fried (and there is about a 3 year wait for new transformers), but the powerplants themselves will be cooked. Even if they weren’t cooked, how will you get fuel to them? Or transmit the power down the lines even if you could get fuel to them? The diesel electric trains used to haul coal to the powerplants will be fried. Rarefied medicines are made hundreds or thousands of miles away. No way to get them to the people who need them the most. Water treatment plants and pumps will just stop. Farmers might have an advantage in that they live where the food comes from, but they have no means to get the food to the people who need it – who might be clear on the other side of the country. And thanks to GMO crops, they can’t hold back a portion of their harvest to replant the following year. If they do, whatever sprouts up will be nonviable.

It’ll be run what ya brung time. 90% might be a good estimate, it might not. It’s never happened before anywhere on earth, so nobody really knows. The country will be tossed back a couple hundred years, but the people will still be stuck in 2014. When compared with all 300 million of us, those with the proper skill sets and resources held back will be few. So yeah, a 10% survival rate might be likely.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.