Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

First, my apologies for all of our non-US members here for having had to suffer through all of our political chatter during this election season, but for better or worse for the rest of the world, what happens here does impact billions of others across the globe. Elections do have consequences.

The day has arrived and I am not optimistic of a good outcome. Too much money and too much power is at stake. The globalists, Islamists, and the greedy will likely win and for that the world will pay a price.

All that I can take comfort in is that in the quiet corners of the country that few know even exist some of us still do hold to honor and integrity in the process. Yesterday afternoon I was one of the volunteers at Town Hall setting up for today. It is the only polling place in my town. Town Hall consists of only two large rooms. We had to move the furniture back up against the walls so as to assemble and position the voting booths, check-in tables, and place the ballot counter by the exit itself. We took care to maintain an aisle that someone in a wheelchair or with a walker could maneuver. A friend of mine is one of our elected Justices of the Peace (towns in Vermont have 9). He and another JP, one being Republican, one Democrat, will carry a ballot to one of our residents who is hospitalized over in our county’s shire town and wants to vote. He said one year they carried 5 such ballots to shut-ins or hospitalized residents. Over the past few weeks when I was in and out of Town Hall in my elected capacity I observed the Town Clerk being absolutely professional in registering people to vote and handling absentee ballots. None would have known her political opinions. She will keep a careful watch over the process today but those campaigning for either side will stay away the designated distance from the Town Hall entrance without being asked or chided by her, and the campaigners will be utterly respectful of the process. It is the traditional America at work honoring the sacred right to vote as we have done since colonial days.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

MountainBiker, thank you for a very peaceful story, even if it does only exist in a handful of tiny, out-of-the-way places across the nation. Oh that we could clone such a place a sufficient number of times and place them all adjacent to one another, and then secede. At least some of us here are old enough to remember your current experience as simply “normal.” And like beloved but deceased close friends and relatives, it’s nice to spend time every now and then reflecting on how it was. I’m doing my best to not sin today by coveting my Vermont neighbor’s property. ;-) Thanks.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

When I went to vote this afternoon there weren’t any campaigners outside, just signs for various campaigns. And Phyllis and her minister manning a booth for the Congregational Church across the road. She’s an 84 year old farmer and was giving voters coffee and her homemade donuts as they left Town Hall. Every Friday morning at 11AM she hosts an open house at the farm for anyone who wants to stop by for donuts, coffee, and a few laughs. I go there when I can. She’s poor as a church mouse as they say but rich in spirit and she loves to laugh. Not quite a year ago the old trailer she was living in burnt when the barn next to it caught fire, that trailer being a replacement for her house that burnt 10 or 15 years prior after being hit with lightening. A week after last year’s fire she did her Friday morning donuts at her son’s house on the farm and was joking that while these adversities just make her stronger she told God she’s already strong enough if it’s OK with Him. A life well lived.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

And the Good Old Days are past and gone.
    A lot of good people have done gone on.
    That’s my life when I sing this song about
    Back in the Goodle Days
    [Chorus from a John Hartford song – more applicable as the years go by….]

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.