Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

My wife and I are taking couple of workshops this summer at Institute for the Study of Edible Wild Plants and Other Foragables in Portland Oregon. Not expensive and gain knowledge from an expert in the field. Perhaps others like it in your area. Our ongoing education about the environment we live in and what is a resource and not a resource.

Here is link if you’re in the Pacific Northwest. We plan to also take the course on foraging from coastal/marine environments.

Institute for the Study of Edible Wild Plants and Other Foragables

http://www.wildfoodadventures.com/

I sure hope to find some clams for tasty dinner!

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks so much for this, Chester! My husband and I are in this area, as well, and this would be invaluable!

PS – Yum, clams!!

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

This type of knowledge is of primary importance anywhere. Know what is around you, and when it appears. I found a ‘goldmine’ of huge burr oak acorns that we and our friends have enjoyed. I am still learning the other wild things here in Oklahoma. When I grew up (in then-rural NJ) I knew almost everything in the woods.

Profile photo of zakity
    zakity
    Survivalist
    member1

I have his book and saw him do a talk. He had tons of valuable information. I can’t wait for his next one to come out.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Maybe we could start moving the separate threads about individual plants into this thread topic.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

I live in the PNW…and it is almost impossible to starve here. There are some great books for this area. Be sure you get the ones that list by season. It is useful to have what each plant looks like as they change.
    We eat about 1/4 of our summer meals from forage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.