Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 195 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

In truth I would expect tens of thousands to have been infected with Ebola by now if it were an airborne virus. From what I’ve been able to find [and someone can correct me if my info is wrong] Ebola seems to be a hemorrhaging disease but not a respiratory disease like influenza; therefore it doesn’t seem to trigger respiratory illnesses that would expel aerosols from the body that could be intercepted by another person breathing it in. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001339.htm seems a good and brief summary about the disease.

An infected person’s bodily fluids are serious sources of infection though, and handling their wastes without washing the hands afterwards, or having sex or sharing needles with an infected person may bypass the body’s disease filters. Also, from what I’ve read, the Ebola virus doesn’t seem to live long outside of a body cell, so the prospect of catching the virus from something an infected person has touched [assuming that the virus is even in perspiration, which I don’t know] is small, unless the item is touched by a second person very soon after and then the healthy person picks their nose or rub their eyes without first washing their hands. [As I’ve said before, a lot of diseases would be stopped in their tracks if people would routinely sanitize their hands before touching their faces.]

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

Unless it becomes a crisis of epic proportions, meaning the government believes it can no longer control it and is nearing collapse as a result of this, we will never hear of how bad it actually is/was.

For example, a few years ago my nephew caught swine flew and bronchial pneumonia at the same time. He had to be put into a drug induced coma for a month while the doctors treated him. His total time in the hospital was a little over six weeks. My nephew was three years old and weighed about 40 lbs when this started. When it was over he weighed about 20 lbs and the doctors put a feeding tube in so so he could be fed while he slept so he would gain weight faster. The fact he survived is a miracle.

We had had a swine flue outbreak earlier that year where only 11 people died so it was classified by the government and reported by the media as not having been as bad as it could have been and they all patted each other on the back for doing such a great job of containing and controlling it.

While his son was being treated my brother spoke at length with the nurses and doctors assigned his sons case and what he found out was horrifying. The truth is that during the time of the “small, contained outbreak of swine flu” over 150 people had died from it at that hospital alone. All of them either children or pregnant women. While my nephew was there a six year old girl died from it.

The truth is this Ebola outbreak could be far worse than it is being portrayed by the government(s) working to control it and we will not know until it is too late.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Elijah – thank you for that! The fear, suspicion, hysteria being evidenced everywhere over this is beyond belief and very sad. Reminds me of when AIDS first became widely reported. Actually watched a nurse, yes a nurse, in a department store dithering over trying a hat on to see how it looked, because ‘she might catch AIDS’!.

What is more concerning is that as preppers, with some of the stuff being written here, opinions on the latest, greatest ‘news’….what will happen when some other SHTF happens? I hope people don’t get consumed with this so they don’t get up but continue DOING something to actually prepare for future emergencies – including possible pandemics. For me, that’s a bit further down my list then the current top 10 – one of which is to learn (still learning) how to feed the group reliably in all weather/conditions, secure my place and property, etc..

The discussions on practical preparedness are dropping to zero on the forum lately with all the news of the minute commentary. IMHO. If that’s what everyone wants who am I to say otherwise?

Again, thanks Elijah.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

You are welcome tweva. I have just heard Patriot Nurse mention that influenza kills more people per year than Ebola, no doubt because it’s easily transmitted [aerosols]. There is a fear factor about Ebola because it’s new to most people’s awareness, and also that it has a high mortality rate per infected person compared to influenza, which is naturally frightening.

There is something about epidemics that provokes fear, I suppose because they can’t be seen but people catch them without knowing it is happening. However, I spent some years working with a vast array of bugs in pathology and never caught one of them. This is because bugs are not the mysterious, magical things that fear makes them, but things that follow physical and chemical and biological laws and can be dealt with in the real world. Proper attention to sterile procedures and proper hygiene meant I could work with bugs and be safe.

The question of whether Ebola has the makings of becoming a epidemic? I don’t know, my knowledge of pathology is decades old and not comprehensive, but I believe that certain factors would have to come into play for that to happen with any disease.

For example, plagues of the Middle-ages spread because fleas carried the disease, the fleas bit the rats they were riding on and transferred the disease, and the rats [and fleas] bit the humans. Poor hygiene was the foundation for those vectors to spread the plague. The plagues [in humans] had aerosol transference because of respiratory illnesses as a result of infection, and then the plague would become wide spread just by breathing it in via aerosols. In those days, of course, they knew nothing about microbes, and most people were too poor to afford the way of life to be clean, and they even believed that bathing was unhealthy.

How does this apply to Ebola? There are certain animals [such as apes] and insects like mosquitoes that carry Ebola in Africa, For such a thing to happen in other parts of the world would depend on whether these creatures could pick up the virus and transmit it, and whether these vectors represent a serious problem if they did have the disease. By way of comparison, Dengue Fever and Malaria are transmitted by mosquitoes, but not all parts of the world have these diseases in their mosquitoes.

Even in Africa, it’s evident that few people catch Ebola from mosquitoes but from other humans through personal fluid transfer, so there is a doubt that America or Europe or elsewhere will provide ideal conditions for Ebola to spread this way, but I honestly doubt that anyone really knows the answer to whether our mosquitoes could become a vector yet.

But as I said in the earlier post, Ebola [according to all that I’ve read about it] doesn’t seem to be a respiratory disease so I don’t see that it has the makings of an epidemic.

Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

tweva, I’m monitoring this New Ebola because it is just that, something new and different that very little is known about. Is there a different kind of prep activity that I should be taking at this time? I don’t know and so I monitor it and listen and learn. On the Survival Blog http://survivalblog.com/ there have been excellent articles today and yesterday about vitamins and nutrition, not specific to New Ebola, but with the possibility of a pandemic coming (note I say possibility), I will be buying certain vitamin/nutrition supplies specifically with my daughter and her babies in mind. She is nursing a newborn and has a 2 year old. I see the discussions on current events as helpful in focusing prepping related activities, if for no other reason they remind me all is not well with the world and to keep improving my readiness.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

At this point I think we are being fed a of line crapola to ameliorate our fears. Several doctors have died that presumably were wearing 3 pairs of gloves, waterproof protective clothing, rubber boots, goggles and masks. They were sprayed with chlorine solutions before removing their protective attire and they were still infected with the virus.

Patrick Sawyer infected at least 6 people. Presumably these people were unprotected, but I doubt they were doing much more that taking his vital signs and maybe gave him an IV. How did 6 people come in contact with bodily fluids? Why look for 70 people if they didn’t have contact with his body fluids? Whatever is happening we are not getting the straight scoop.

“A Nigerian doctor who treated a Liberian businessman infected with Ebola has contracted the deadly virus, authorities said Monday.” http://www.ibtimes.com/nigerian-doctor-contracts-ebola-after-treating-patrick-sawyer-liberian-american-victim-1647866

Edit: Liberian government has confirmed that a senior doctor working to fight the disease, Samuel Brisbane, has died, the Associated Press reports. That makes him the first Liberian doctor to die of Ebola in the current outbreak.

“A Nigerian nurse has died of Ebola and the country has five other confirmed cases of the disease, Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said Wednesday. The nurse had treated a man who flew into Lagos and later died of Ebola last month, …….The five with the disease had direct contact with Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer who was sick when he flew into Lagos and died five days later on July 25. Authorities are now following up with others who had contact with Sawyer to see if they are showing Ebola symptoms.” http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AP_AF_WEST_AFRICA_EBOLA?SITE=MYPSP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-06-06-34-14

“He said special tents would be used to speed up the establishment of isolation wards in all of Nigeria’s states”. If you need isolation in tents away from everyone else it is probably airborne.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Pheonix, I’m sorry your nephew went through the Swine Flu experience, and for everyone who suffered along with him.

Yes, government officials lie like troopers when it suits them, but it doesn’t mean they lie about all things at all times. I fully accept what you were pointing out in your post about what really happened with the swine flu, and it is an example of officials lying to us.

However, the Swine Flu is a respiratory disease, easily spread, but as far as I know Ebola isn’t a respiratory illness according to all I’ve been able to find out about it, and therefore it can’t have the same opportunities for contagion as a respiratory disease. I’ll accept that the information could be completely hidden from us, but I can only speak about what I know so far, and I’ve read nothing to suggest that Ebola has the threat level to the general population that is being assigned to it by fear.

Truthfully, if Ebola is actually airborne, then I have no explanation as to why there hasn’t been thousands, or tens of thousands, of victims in these last few months in the communities where it has been showing up, especially when some time for infection happens before symptoms begin to show.

In any case, everyone can make up their own minds about what they think, and that’s how it should be. Cheers.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    This is not like AIDS where pretty much it’s spread by only Gay men who swap sperm. This is spread by casual contact. It might look like not many people are affected now, but it is just the begining and no one really knows what is going to happen. You didn’t happen to hear if the guy in NY has ebola yet did you? It has been 3 days now and we don’t know if he has it and no reports of finding his contacts or his travel routes. Why do we know all about Patrick Sawyer in Nigeria but not the guy here in the states?

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

Governments work very hard to keep you happy and uninformed. I am not going to worry about it. Concern? Yes. Worry? No. Nothing I can do will prevent it for either spreading or not spreading. I am going to watch and try to be prepared as best I can. That is all any of us can really do.

Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Well said, Phoenix. Like many of us I’ll watch what is being reported, and just go on about my daily routine. When something like this happens it is important to take many things into consideration: the habit of news agencies to sensationalize stories for ratings, drug companies that will make millions by people buying into a panic and demanding new “Miracle Cures”, and the legitimate concerns we all have that we’re being told half-truths while red herrings are tossed out. It’s also important to cull out the news sources that report pure speculation as fact, and sparingly tune into sources that are reputable (but in reality how many of those are actually left?). Since I can’t do anything to change it (and I’d drive myself crazy if I tried), I just keep trucking along like normal.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Amanda11 wrote:</div>l just keep trucking along like normal.

This needs careful observation because of the lack of clarity. Someone in a fairly isolated area does not have the same risk of exposure as city dellers with large populations of foreign nationals coming from infected areas. You will want to know when you have to change your behavior before you (or people you know) become at risk.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

We have to be careful of what the government does. If the government in labs has created as a bio-weapon an Ebola airborne virus they can let it out and the public will be asking the government to start a marshal law to stop the spread of the Ebola.

It is a very easy way to put marshal law without anyone complaining.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well there’s a thought. I was thinking more along the lines of; If it can go wrong it will.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, I know I didn’t come up with that idea.I was told by some friends that got together and we just talked about many things and that came up. They all agreed that would be very easy to do and the government would not have much resistant from the people because everyone would not want to get Ebola and would except marshal law like yes we need that.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free, They might as well nuke us and everyone else in the world.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.