Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 195 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Xocjm, please post everything Ebola related here. No need for new threads.

By the way…

Sierra Leone has declared a state of emergency and called in troops to quarantine Ebola victims, joining neighboring Liberia in imposing controls as the death toll from the outbreak of the virus hit 729 in West Africa.

Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/31/us-health-ebola-leone-idUSKBN0G00TG20140731

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Pretty good overview on Ebola. Check out their channel for some other good videos.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Our government has declared this now as a humanitarian crisis that is above the control of the national government,” Tolbert Nyenswah, Liberia’s assistant minister of health, told CBS News.

I bet this has hit the numbers now that will make it look like an explosion. Modern times have never seen anything like what is going to happen in Africa in the next 30 days.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I just hope the closest it come to us is on Fox News. (Or CNN if you swing that way)

Profile photo of johnnymac
    johnnymac
    Survivalist
    member2

The American that died from Ebola in Nigeria (shortly after getting off a plane from Liberia) was headed home to Minnesota. There were 59 other passengers on that flight, IIRC. I haven’t heard if the Nigerian authorities were able to track them all down, or whether they were quarantined.

I know the infection control coordinator for a hospital in the Washington, DC suburbs. She has told me that they suspect Ebola will actually spread farther, and faster, in developed countries than it does in rural Africa. Paradoxically, it is because Westerners are generally “healthier” than inhabitants of the rural Third World, and we have better transportation infrastructure. In rural Africa, many, if not most, of the infected victims suffer from some co-morbidity with the Ebola. Chronic conditions, such as malnutrition, malaria, anemia, make these victims less robust, and they quickly go from “infected/asymptomatic” to “symptomatic” to “dead”, before they can travel very far. Here in the West, people may have a slightly longer on-set period from “infected/asymptomatic” to “symptomatic”, meaning they will have ample opportunity to travel far-&-wide infecting others before they know they are infected themselves.

Stay tuned…

P.S. For goodness sake, whatever you do, DON’T watch or read Stephen King’s “The Stand” ;-)

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Most experts agree that Ebola would be easily controlled in developed countries.

This here is the analysis of a statistician how the Ebola virus most likely will spread. Interesting graphs and maps if you check the full article.

Conclusions

As the two sets of basis functions give similar answers in the near future, it seems likely that the epidemic will continue at a steady or slightly increasing rate for at least the next few weeks, though we must still be careful projecting too far into the future. Unfortunately, the most recent data had a fairly pronounced effect on the variability of these estimates. From early July through the data released on the 23rd, the models predicted a temporary continuation of epidemic activity followed by a decrease into the fall. While these predictions are still encompased by the observed variability, the situation on the ground is clearly evolving quickly. The current evidence is not inconsistent with the possibility that the disease will soon start the slow process of dying out, but our best predictions no longer place a high weight on such a possibility. The next few weeks are likely to be highly dynamic, and will hopefully narrow down the large space of probable epidemic patterns. In the meantime, we may hope for the best for the people of West Africa, and support the efforts of governmental and non-governmental organizations like the WHO and MSF

http://grantbrown.github.io/libspatialSEIR/doc/tutorials/Ebola2014/Ebola2014.html

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Most experts agree that Ebola would be easily controlled in developed countries”

I keep hearing this as well. I’m guessing that they only anticipate singular infection events to occur. One person here and there to arrive, be found, and contained. Round up the exposed and wait for the end results.

If the disease is spread purposefully their conjecture will be highly doubtful.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The US government is getting ready should it come here.

“On Thursday, Barack Obama signed an executive order that allows for the apprehension, detention, or conditional release of individuals with certain severe acute respiratory diseases, not including influenza. The executive order modifies one signed in 2003 byGeorge Bush that allowed for the detention and quarantine of those with SARS.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-executive-order-allows-detention-of-americans-with-respiratory-diseases

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

something a little less bleak something you can perhaps do about it

http://survivalist.com/how-to-survive-ebola-virus/

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I realize the ebola has very serious pandemic potential but I’m not going to get too excited until we start to see cases in Europe and the US with people who have not been to Africa.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

self deleted.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

self deleted.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/26170612/drill-in-new-york-city

“I realize the ebola has very serious pandemic potential but I’m not going to get too excited until we start to see cases in Europe and the US with people who have not been to Africa.” MTB

If someone shows up with ebola that was not in Africa general panic will ensue.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

http://jimstonefreelance.com/ebola.html

apparently a cure for it… dont know or can not vette source however if you are going to get in contact with it this is better than nothing

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.